Why is gay marriage not legalized?

This war on love needs to end. Two women who love each other should be able to become husband and wife if they want to but there must be order in the relationship if its going to work. The wife should submit to her husband who is the head of the household. As the head of the household the husband should discipline her wife. What other structure could help

Most Helpful Girl

• because gay union is not marriage. it's not a church institution.
    if u want to do it another way, then do it, but it's not marriage.

marriage is the union of two souls, MAN AND WOMAN, to become one, by the power of the Holy Spirit. anything outside this is a different relationship. its that simple.

• Like hell, wanna fight about it? Just cause it isn't man and woman doesn't mean it's not marriage. If I knew you in person I would fight you tooth and nail because the way I see it Man and Woman are just selective names for gender, two men and two women have the right to marriage as much as man and woman do whether you like it or not. It's their life and their choice to make and you have NO right to judge them.

• @rUinSAYAN Okay, first off I think you've got the wrong name in your head. Secondly Zeus' lightning bolt would zap and probably explode me, not whip my head off, I think you've got the Balrog in mind there.

• @kunami I don't care. I was kiddin man

What Girls Said 91

• I don't accept people who can't accept gay marriage.
    I don't want them around my future children poisoning their minds and making them assholes.

I mean, for fuck's sake, what if they learn about bigotry in school? How will I explain that to them?

And don't even get me STARTED on when these losers kiss in public, my stomach turns. It's just not natural to give a flying fuck about what other people do if it isn't harmful. If they HAVE to be that narrow minded can they at least not shove it down our throats in public?

Makes me sick and I will NOT apologize.

cdn2.teen.com/.../adam-levine-sassy.gif

• Because we are managed by politics of fear and bigotry.

• Thank you. :-) Fear is a very powerful motivator, and here in the good ol' USA we have plenty of it. :-/

• I see something wrong with it. I will never agree on it. So deal with it :P

• Stop being proud of being close-minded.

• Nature not Nurture

• So closed minded, so sad.

• Because religion. But I don't see how that should have any effect because of a little thing called "separation of church and state". Keeping someone from being married because it's against your beliefs is like slapping a donut out of someone's hand because you're on a diet. I don't care if 75% of the U. S. is on a strict diet, the other 25% should be able to eat as many goddamn donuts as they want because 'Murica.

• Same sex couples marrying hasn't been a crime in any state in the union since Lawrence v. Texas struck down any remaining state anti-sodomy laws. What's the justification for married couples to get special tax treatment? If "married people" is going to include same sex marriages, they'll have to rethink the justifications they've used in courts previously.

• We can't?

I'm pretty sure we already do.

It's totally legal, had been for awhile, and people flock here to get married from all over the world.

• Okay then. Give me one good reason why not?
    Do they bother you in your everyday life? No.
    Do they insult you in any way or make your life unpleasant? No
    Do they have any influence whatsoever on your life? No
    Love is love. If they want to get married and make their love official, I just don't see why the hell they couldn't.

• I have no comment about gay marriage, nothing to say about it.
    But in general, I don't think anything should just be accepted. Don't accept something just because. It doesn't matter if something is mainstream or if there's nothing that can be done about it at the time. Things shouldn't be accepted just because the majority accepts it.

• I accept that gays have the same basic human rights. But I consider homosexuality as a sickness of the mind. I don't treat gays differently than other people but I don't approve homosexuality. By giving homosexuals the right to marry, we approve homosexuality as an ideology or an alternative way of living for our generation and future generations as well

• Because consenting adults should be allowed to enter into any type of relationship they want, that includes marriage.

• I think gays should have the same rights as us. Telling people they can't marry who they love is no different from being sexist or racist.

• if two homosexuals are in love, and would like to sign a paper as proof of their love, then they shall do so.

• Because marriage is a human right, and is not to be singled out to straight people.

Because everyone has the right to spend their lives in legal bond to the one they love.

Because the government has no right to keep me from marrying my loved one.

Because making it illegal for me to marry my loved one is an abuse power and oppression in the so-called land of the free.

• How about you give me one good reason why gay marriage shouldn't be legalized? Just give me one. That's all I need is one valid arguement.

• Because people fear the unknown. Just look back in time at all the things that were considered social taboos, let alone illegal, that now are part of everyday life. Unfortunately, society takes forever for these things.

But the good news is, no conservative party, organization, or lobby in the world can prevent the inevitable - that marriage equality WILL sooner or later be here.

Personally, I can't wait to see the day.

• because they have a right to love whoever they choose to love and they should be able to marry on that love. Its proof they love each other. If they are happy let them be happy with whoever they choose. Its not our life its theirs let them live it there way

• its their lives if gay people wanna get married i'm happy for them

• We just have to understand and give respect to people who are following their traditions. for them gay marriage is unusual, its not what people are used to. We just can't demand to make them accept what is unacceptable for them. the same goes for us who didn't really have any problem with these kind of things. We are of the same raised. we should understand each other.

• Because people are too close minded in this world! And not just towards gays but also towards people of different race, religion, other sexual orientations and identities, different languages, cultures, physical appearances and many many other things!! People are the worst! In my opinion, there is no wrong way to love someone and you should be able to express your love for each other no matter anyone else's opinion!

• >implying that we can't accept gay marriage.
    i dont associate with people who refuse to accept gay marriage.
    the people who refuse accept it will tolerate it.
    because really what are they going to do about it, its legal.

i think the people with different ideals, like the elderly who where raised in a different time, should continue to have their different beliefs about sexism, racism, and homophobia.
    because just because they differ from you, doesn't mean they are "wrong" or "ignorant".
    freedom of speech must be protected.

• A lot of people are closed-minded, homophobic, or religious bigots. People think they know what unnatural and normal means but they really don't know shit. I'm not gay and don't have to be to understand that two people can love each other no matter what gender they are but some people are so stupid that they think denying civil rights is okay just because they don't agree with it.

• I think it should be allowed. I have nothing against it. Why should we prohibit two people to show their love for each other? It doesn't matter about who they love.. Everyone should just mind their own business and let them marry whoever they want to marry.

• Again this question? This must be like the third time this week.

I'll just give my standard reply:
    Because people are ignorant and fear the unknown, and the more ignorant someone is, the more they fear the unknown.

• I don't have anything against gay people.. i respect them

• Why would it not? Seems like the only argument against it is religion and I don't like giving religion privilege

• Because it's not right if it was meant for gays to be together then god would have made it that way. We know what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah

• because some people are close minded and fearful of the unknown. there's nothing wrong with same sex marriage.

• The EXACT same reason I've been given as to why I, as a heterosexual woman should get married: Why not?

Give me one good reason why marriage is still part of our culture?

• Look at how similar our answers are. :)

• @Girlsaskguys what's up with the double comments on this question? Me and other people have two sets of. comments?

• Because you already answered this question before and we had to remove many as duplicates.

• I honestly don't know. I really don't get why it's such a struggle for it to be legal in the states.

• It is simply religion wrapped in politics.
    In other words, all BS.
    People that want to be joined should not be discriminated against.

• Well because of your beliefs and customs. When i hear people talk about gay couples/ marriage and are against it they always bring the bible out and say how men and women were made...
    Me personally i think that lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans can be as good or bad as straight people meaning they are equal human beings ass anyone else. Lol i think i took it too far talking about lgbts. I am straight by the way

• More from Girls
    61

What Guys Said 85

• 'Cause, lettin' them there fags get married destroys the sanctity of marriage.

assets.nydailynews.com/.../...003-prince-welco.jpg

• In America, it's because the promise of "separation of church and state" isn't kept. Politicians, and just public opinion in general, are too wrapped up in their personal religious beliefs. The Bible and Christianity, which I'm sorry to remind people is in NO WAY a proven fact, dictates way too much public policy. I respect Christian's beliefs all day, but it's arrogant to be trying to tell society how to live based on YOUR beliefs. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for others. Marriage isn't an exclusively Christian institution, although they'll tell you it is. Anybody should be able to have a legally recognized union. If Christians don't want gay marriages happening in their churches, I suppose that's their right, but people who worry about what anybody other than themselves is doing with their life can go ahead and fuck right off.

• Simply put, at least here in the USA, society has a vested interest in doing as much as possible to keep homosexuality from being accepted.

See, it's related to how vital marriage is. Think about it. We all have an urge for sex. Yet marriage brilliantly ties that desire for sex to family and stability, providing a building block for society. Think of USA circa 1930, 1950, like that. When you could literally graduate high school, marry your high school sweetheart, and she would stay at home as a housewife while you, with your grand diploma, would earn enough money to support her, kids, and a home. Today, that high school grad has FWB's while working part time, living at home. hmm.

Marriage (and by extension, making it sacred, and promoting man/woman marriage) is vitally important for our society for several reasons. Here are some examples.

1. Married men FAR out earn single men, single women, and married women. Why? Because they're expected to provide for a whole family. One damn man earning enough for 4+ people, compared to a single man just earning enough for himself, etc. This not only means more tax money, but grows the economy.

2. Kids raised by a married man/woman couple do the best in society. They are less likely to be criminals, high school dropouts, etc. They're more likely to become good members of society.

3. Fertility rates. Getting married earlier means higher fertility rates, which is vital. Look at Japan. Fertility rates are way down, which means the population is shrinking, and aging dramatically.

4.. STD rates alone are a reason. Look at the rates. For example, gay men alone, who have no urge to tie sex to marriage/family, are 2% of the population, according to the CDC. They also have 52% of HIV cases alone.

Now, look at how much STD's alone cost the straight population. It's a huge financial burden on the naiton.

And enough writing for tonight, it's late...

• Item 3 - spot on! Japan`s demography is disastrous... in 30 years the population will shrink to half... so what will happen to the society and economy?

• mh right here

• It's accepted by the public but not certain religions because its seen as an abomination. It doesn't mean religious people will treat you badly, especially devout Christians believe it or not. I'm a Christian myself and it is our duty to love and respect all despite troubles or flaws. I actually personally know tons of homosexuals who actually changed. Ik it sounds crazy and you probably won't believe me. It is possible but is it publicized? or course not.

Lastly, why don't people accept it? Well simply think of the role of a mother and father. In this day and age it could be quite hard to craft a child into the man or woman that they need to be to survive in this world. Now, the mother USUALLY helps support a child and when the mom can't really do much when the child disrespects her its the father to step in and "help the child learn" his mistake. Without this father figure playing the role and without a mother figure things could most likely fall out of wack. Most likely the kid may become to sensative or too nervous. Of course this can take place in other situations as well. In my religion God (whether you believe in him or not) wants to protect us from disease. Personally I had a friend who died from an STD through homosexual contact. For a man to stick his penis in anothers asshole could cause disease much more likely than a man sticking it in a woman. The incentive is that Christians in particular don't believe homosexuality is a part of you but something that can be changed. In fact tons of things could be changed we just accept things to the point where we no longer feel we need to change them, like an introvert hating his life yet defining him as one and never being happy. Christians believe anything can change thats why we dont believe in homosexality but respect and kindness is key.

hope that helped.

• oh and considering the traditional way of marriage is usually in a Christian church setting its kind of hypocritical :^/

• Marriage in every culture is a religious union between a man and a woman. There is no religion that recognizes gay unions as normal because it defies every biological definition of normality.

Some people argue that in the animal kingdom, there are gay animals, so gay humans are normal. That is not true. Just because it happens naturally does not mean it's normal. For example, in the animal kingdom, animals are often born with deformities just as humans are. When we see an animal with 2 heads, missing limbs or undeveloped body parts, nobody considers this normal - although it occurs naturally.

Marriage in it's original sense does not fit within modern definitions of couples - such as gay and lesbian.
    In fact, a "gay marriage" goes against every religion on the planet - which is why there is so much opposition. Most religions find gay behavior extremely offensive. In the past, Christians, Catholics, Muslims and most other religious executed gay people. Muslims continue to do so today - but we were no different in the past.

Gays are actually not aiming to have "gay marriages" recognized. They are looking for "Gay unions" to be recognized. There is a BIIIG difference between the two. Gay marriage is looking for acceptance from God - because of it's religious nature. Gay unions are looking to be recognized by the STATE or government - so that they can be accepted in society and have the same financial benefits as a married couple.

If the gay community requested gay UNIONS to be recognized, they probably wouldn't have much opposition today. However, they are pushing for gay MARRIAGE - which is trying to force religious entities to accept them. That won't happen anytime soon, and so the fight continues.

• I am not against gay marriage

• Human rights... seriously what is one good argument that means it shouldn't? It doesn't affect anyone besides the two people getting married.

• ""The wife should submit to her husband who is the head of the household. As the head of the household the husband should discipline her wife.""

I completely disagree with this statement, I think this power struggle has zero meaning in a relation between two adults who aren't batshit stupid.

However I do agree that religion shouldn't be holding us back in choosing life-long partners that is accepted by the state as legal.

• It's getting more and more accepted as time goes on. Years ago I remember there being a lot more resistance to it and kids (while many still do) would use gay terminology as an insult. Nowdays that goes on but nowhere near as much.

There will always be groups opposing it but overall, they'll become a minority if they aren't already. I think it's ok that they are not for it as long as they're not preventing people from getting married.

• hmm... freedom for everyone? fairness? im just spitballin here :D

• A lot of people are afraid, mostly. Afraid of other people being happy, afraid of other people having something they don't/can't have, afraid of someone else's beliefs and lifestyle causing them to question their own.

• "afraid of someone else's beliefs and lifestyle causing them to question their own."
      Well said!

• Hetero people invented marriage first, and it's theirs. It's only a financial contract, and always was.
    Gay people can come up with their own financial contract, and call it something different.

• Thats the most stupid argument i've ever heared.

• @Tristana92 , this "most stupid" argument will get those gay people the contract they need, and any benefits, faster than anything else will.
      It can also achieve that with no objection, and no people who believe in conventional marriage finding it offensive. It is different from a conventional marriage, and to deny that is bullshit. To give it the same name is bullshit.
      If they wanted the practical advantages of a financial contract, they would do exactly as I suggested. If the don't, but they just want to get up someone's nose until they are resented, they will continue to do things the hard way. Some people just like to have something to object about, so they can force their concepts on others. They'd be disappointed if they could get what they want without a fight. That's the real problem, here.

• Marriage nowadays is mostly about committing to the only you love. Gay people just want the same rights to marry the person they love. It doesn't matter who came up with marriage or what it was in the beginning. We live in a evolving society, not everything can stay the way it's always been.

In that case all women should be homewives, we should not have sex before marriage or being punnished by death for breaking the sabbath... Society evolves.

• mmm. . . hmm. . . hmm. . . mmhmm. . . . . . hmm. . . let me think about this, hmm. . . hmm. . . interesting, interesting.

When it comes to gay marriage I'm indifferent, it won't affect me so I see no reason to shun it

• What's one good reason why heterosexuals should be allowed to marry? Probably interchangeable, like most things regarding stupid topics.

• I think they should be able to do what they want, i dont agree with it but its there life. I just think it should not be on tv for kids to see. They can make there own choices they shouldn't have something influencing there decision

• Because religion and the interpreted perversion of gay sex from religion.

I think it's stupid to care who gets married. If someone wants to buy a ring, spend money on an excessive party and honey moon to prove their love, then be my guess. You won't get no judgement from me lol. But I will enjoy watching all the divorce drama :p

• so that religious people can feel superior in this life.

also, because few straight men want to admit that taking a hard cock up the ass feels wonderful. So instead of just "not admitting it" they have to make a case that they actually hate everything about gay people, and try to limit their rights whenever possible.

• Pretty certain you asked this yesterday...

• Because they're humans too with all its strengths and flaws, and they love just as true as any heterosexual person!

• Because a large but shrinking percentage of our population thinks that if they don't agree with something then NOBODY should be able to do it even if the two people involved don't share those beliefs.

• Religion; some people feel marriage is a religious sacrament that shouldn't be intruded on by the government and "left alone"

Economics; with two people of the same gender (or those who identify without a gender) can marry, the tax benefits for married couples = $$$ lost in taxation revenue for the states

---------

Besides these, there really is no argument to be had.

• better abolish marriage wether it's str8 or gay. why people shall marry?

• That's arguably the most consistent with equal protection.

• Marriage was created and a sacrament made by God to be a union between God and man with God and woman and the law has changed marriage to exclude God and now has wash away the opposite sex. Given this thought a man can marry his dog.

The key to marriage is that it is seen similar to Baptism as a God or religious right.

• First of all, if two women get married, there is no "husband" lol they're both wives. And unless you're living in the past, no one should submit to anyone. It's an equal partnership. But yes, gay marriage should be legalized. Lol I have a weird way of supporting it. Btw, why no mention of gay guys?

• I think it's only fair that they should have a legal financial contract that covers things like accumulated assets and debts, and rights of inheritance from a partner.
    I don't think it should necessarily be called a marriage, and there's no reason why it should, but it should give the same legal rights.

• If they want to get married, let them get married lol. It doesn't effect me in any way, so why deny them that? Where I come from, if you attempt to keep someone from doing what makes them happy, especially if it doesn't effect you at all. That would make you an asshole.

• What's the legal justification for extending tax advantages, privileged communications and limited joint contract/property rights to married people in the first place? The states have consistently argued that discrimination against unmarried people is justified by their interests in the welfare of children. Their argument (which I don't buy, but the courts do) is that if they have some special shit for married people, then people will have less kids outside of being married, and therefore, more kids will grow up with two parents which, the state argues is good for kids. Allowing gay marriages doesn't further that alleged interest. If married people can make tax free gifts or split each others' income for tax purposes, why can't I just find some random person and do the same with them? Is there some legitimate governmental interest in pairing us up?

• The influence it would have the next generation, eventually less and less procreation until we dont anymore. Also marriage is between man and female always has been. Why do gay people want marriage so much anyway? Will that piece of paper make them happier?

• "The influence it would have the next generation, eventually less and less procreation until we dont anymore"
      Because homosexuality is contagious?

"Why do gay people want marriage so much anyway? Will that piece of paper make them happier?"
      For starters, it won't make them feel like the outcasts of society. Inclusion is important.

• I can't really understand what you just said because you're writing was so bad, but I think it was something to the effect that very few animals mate with the same gender? Well, I'm sorry toruin your delusions, but have some facts: Mallards form male-female pairs only until the female lays eggs, at which time the male leaves the female. Mallards have rates of male-male sexual activity that are unusually high for birds, in some cases, as high as 19% of all pairs in a population. Both male and female pigeons sometimes exhibit homosexual behavior. In addition to sexual behavior, same-sex pigeon pairs will build nests, and hens will lay (infertile) eggs and attempt to incubate them.

And that's just birds. Should I go on to other kinds of animals?

• *your. But anyways, I'm tired. At least my writing is legible.

Basically, point is, animals engage in non-reproductive sex all the time, often homosexual. So there is no argument to be made about it not being natural.

• More from Guys
    55