Taking your partner's name when getting married?

When you get married, would you:

Prefer your partner to change his/her surname to your last name?

Prefer to take on the surname of that of your partner?

Prefer for both you and your partner to keep each of your surnames?

• I would prefer my partner to take my surname
  • I would prefer to change my surname to that of my partner
  • I would prefer for both my partner and I to keep our personal surnames

Most Helpful Guy

• Though I would prefer my partner take my name, I wouldn't mind sharing names (smith-Johnson) but I wouldn't want my partner keeping just their name. Taking my name or mixing names is (to me) a sign of loyalty and respect. You must give your all to the other person and respect them as an equal

What Girls Said 24

• I would like to take my future husbands last name. I'm somewhat traditional when it comes to that sort of thing.

• This is pretty much exactly how I feel too. I would never force or even expect her to take my name, but having my future wife adopt my name would mean a lot to me. I really have no explanation for why I think this way other than that I have old fashioned approach to it.

• I'd take his I suppose. I flip flop on my position on this topic a lot. I REALLY like my last name but I feel obligated to take his... but I really really REALLY like mine. :p

• I don't really want to get married, but if I did I'd want to keep my last name. I don't care what he decides to do with his last name.

• Both, keep mine and take his.

• I want to change mine to my partner's. Maybe it sounds really silly to people, but... it sounds really romantic to me. ^^;

• I'm changing my name to his. It just makes things a lot easier and I like his name way better. I have 4 brothers who can carry on our family name.

• I'm taking his last name. Because I like the idea of it. And because I like his last name a lot better than mine lol.

• I took my husbands surname. I've never regretted it and I'm glad that it made things easy and united when we had children.
    He was very happy that I was willing to because he's from South Korea and they don't do that there. He thought it was very generous on my part.

• I would take whatever name he has because I want to have the same last name as my children. Hyphenated names are long, and I hate my last name anyway.

• I'd tall to him about it. I don't really care. I love my last name but I'd want the same surname as my children.

• I personally don't think it really matters, I didn't take my husbands name, only because it was a hassle and im lazy.

• I'd prefer him to take mine or that both me and him have both surnames. The reason why I'd rather we have my surname is that my family are the only ones who have my surname so it's really rare and it also makes me feel connected to my family even when I'm not with them :) His surname is pretty common and all his relatives have different surnames, even his parents, so it's not that special for him either :)

• No name changing at all.

• I'm not planning to get married, but if I did, I'd want us both to keep our last names.

• why aren't you planning to get married?

• And what about a partner that you love, make happy, makes you feel safe and makes you laugh?

• @kep79:
      Yes, that's what I meant by "having a partner by my side".

• My partner took my last name... no particular reason. I don't think it should be a debate. So, on the poll, I would say "other", or in other words "it doesn't matter" :)

• I would be honored to take his name.. That's if I were to ever get married!

• If I tie the knot I'm keeping my own name.

• i wouldn't mind to change my surname to his, but i prefer we both keep it this way
    so I vote C :)

• I couldn't care less about that. Whatever goes, goes.

• He will take my surname..
    No way out if he enters that parade to get married with me.

• I would prefer my future husband to take my last name, I really love my surname ;)

• I'd like to have a double barrell surname. I hate the connotations attached to taking my husbands name, that is I would become his property. It's more equal if we both took eachothers plus more romantic.

• I'm not really closely tied to my last name. I have no problem taking his instead.

Yes, I know that a woman changing her last name has roots in a woman and children being a man's property, but as long as my husband didn't see me as his property I wouldn't care.

• I would take my bf's surname. I love his last name way more than mine and why would I get rid of tradition? My parents got 5 sons to continue our family name. Plus if he's going the traditional route why would I be selfish and break it by asking him to change his last name over to mine?

What Guys Said 11

• I don't care at all honestly. I'm not famous so it isn't like there's anything in my name or I have to keep it for any reason. What's in a name really?

• I don't really mind and wouldn't care about changing my name.

I always thought it was cool that Jack White took Meg White's last name.

I would do either, whatever my partner and I decided.

• Do you know women don't change their last names in Iran but almost all women change their last names in modern western world. what an ironic contradiction :)

• Realistically, women can have their father's last name, or their husband's, in most cases.

Not sure either strikes a blow against the patriarchy.

• They can also have their mother's last name, or their husbands could take their surname ;)

• There's also hyphenate last-names, there's swap last names, there's pick a new last name, etc, etc, etc.

And you didn't allow a 'see the answers option', so now I get to go fuck up your poll...

• I'm definitely old fashioned on this topic. My future wife WILL take my last name. That is one thing I'm not willing to compromise on.

• Is it something you'd break up with her over?

• That's such a trivial thing to care about, lmao.

• @lumos

What's trivial to one person isn't necessarily trivial to another.

• My wife took mine.

• I wouldn't mind changing my surname to that of my girlfriend, because I don't like my last name, and I don't really care about so called "traditional" crap.

• I wouldn't really mind. Her taking my name is probably the most traditional way of doing it and I would kinda like that. If she wanted to keep hers, that's fine too.

One thing that does interest me that might make me weird comes from a girl's opinion I saw here a few days ago. It said that she planned to use her own name and her daughters would take her name too, while the husband and sons would get the husbands name. I'd rather the opposite, the sons take her name and the daughters take mine. I'm not sure why, I'm not really mad on what is essentially dividing the family by name and gender. My way kinda connects everyone together a bit more. Plus, I've 2 brothers who are a lot more traditional than me so our name will be fine. It's hardly rare anyway.

Is my plan weird?

• No weirder than that girl's opinion.

Personally, I'm for allowing children to choose their own names... once they get old enough. :D

• Traditions are important to people. If she expects me to follow the tradition of buying her a diamond, then I can expect her to follow the tradition of taking my name. Besides in this day and age, that is really the only difference between just living together, and being married. If she didn't want my name I would feel like she didn't want to be a part of my family. Besides my children will have my last name. There is no room for debate open on that one.

• I've never thought of the point you mention about the man buying his wife a diamond... Very thought provoking.

Thanks for the comment

• It depends on who has the cooler last name. I seem to have a theme of going for Latinas so if I ever fall on my head and suddenly decide that marriage sounds like a good idea for me, then it would be pretty cool to ditch my boring sounding last name that has roots in English and German... and adopt an awesome sounding Hispanic name :D