Am I the only one who has lost faith in commitment and marriage?

I recently found out that I guy I was talking to ( and eventually sexted) was married. Long story short I met him through social media he contacted me yesterday saying he missed me after a long time of no contact. His behavior all this time was kinda inconsistent. So I looked him up on fb out of curiosity about him and discovered that he just got married October 14th. Even worse the photos of his vacation he sent me were really of his honeymoon.
This isn't the first married man to hit on me. In fact it happens quite often. Married men offer to buy me things take me out etc. I really don't understand why people get married just to cheat it defeats the entire purpose of making the commitment.

I always thought that I would get married but as it stands I could never imagine myself doing so. I lost faith in monogamy especially in generation Y (35 and under) because this generation is always looking for the next best thing and expect instant gratification. Rather than fix what's broken in a relationship they would much rather move on. Its one of the reasons 50% of all marriages end in divorce.
Do you guys/girls feel this way too?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• It's sad, but in the end it's just a statistic. You're the master of your own destiny. Find someone that feels the way you do and give your marriage your all. Just because half of the population gets divorced doesn't mean that you have to.

What Guys Said 6

• No, you're not. I, for one, haven't though.

Too many people focus more on what they get from the other person rather than the other person as he or she is. This is one major problem that I have with today's heavy focus on compatibility, i. e., "sexual compatibility", cohabitation, etc. These things, the way I look at it, cause a person to think more "what am I willing to tolerate and what can I get?" rather than "what am I willing to sacrifice?"

In the case of this particular fellow, it's exactly like you said. This, combined with what I said above, it's what's called the philosophy of utilitarianism. Basically, in the context of people, one's value is seen primarily, if not solely through the scope of pleasure and/or profit. In addition, it, in a way, causes people to think that the relationship should sustain itself.

People are a lot more capable of making the choice to love than they think they are. The thing is that in a relationship, and more particularly, a marriage, both people have to make the choice. I often wonder if people know how to though.

• There are plenty of honest guys out there who would never cheat on a woman, myself included.

Problem seems, were not as good as attracting women as the men who are liars and cheats. Maybe try a different method of finding someone and get to know them a lot better before you decide to date. You'll soon find out this way if they are hiding anything because they will either slip up or try to hurry you.

• Marriage nowadays is like most things in society: disposable.

We live in a disposable world, where everyone of us knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Marriage quite honestly isn't worth the paper it's written on or the financial expense.

The institute of marriage like much of Western civilisation is a state of decay.

• There really is no difference from generation to generation as far as I have read. And actually be careful with the 50% of all marriage end in divorce stat. It was not a properly done statistical survey.

I still have faith in both, but then again I see both as different things. Am I committed to my wife yes, does this mean I will never cheat nope. Does this mean she never will never cheat as well nope. Does this mean we are not committed nope. We said what we said because we meant what we said. Commitment is only part of the iceberg there is much more to it.

• Lost faith in commitment? No.
    Lost Faith in Marriage? YES!!

• For the most part I'm a cynical bastard and I agree. However there are exceptions. My brother is getting married soon, he has two kids with his Fiancee. I know he will be a faithful husband. I will too one day. Our dad was unfaithful though.

What Girls Said 1

• Well.. here's my solution: find someone from generation X (36 and over)?