Do you think its appropriate for a single woman to befriend a married man?

she isn't friends with his wife, only befriending the husband. yes or no and why?

Most Helpful Girl

• Define the friendship... If you all are friends to where you have occasional conversations or say hello in passing, that is fine.

If you are friends to where you go out for coffee regularly, you have lunch "friend dates", he comes to your place alone and you hang out or whatever else... Then absolutely not.

A married man has a home and a wife. They have friends outside that home and their wife but their time shouldn't primarily be consumed by another woman. If I had a long day, I would look forward to coming home to the man I love and enjoying dinner with him / unwinding... If my man is too preoccupied with texting/taking calls from you, I would feel disrespected. If my man is late to dinner because he is out having drinks with you one on one, I would feel disrespected. If he passes up dinner with me and chooses you, I would feel disrespected.

Be realistic in your idea of a friendship.

• Then the same should go if he's spending that amount of times with his male freinds

• If that's the case then he should lose the friend.

• Thank you for MH :)

What Guys Said 13

• Sure, she can be single, married whatever is fine. But I'm kinda loose in this regards, so maybe not the right one to ask. Although I don't cheat on wife, being a sex addict, I'd push the envelope 'some.' (No we are not swingers by any means either.)

As long as the partner is informed and approves, it is fine. I wish I had lots of gals to be friends with. But for some reason they must be creeped out by me... and I don't even swear at them!

I ask gals out to go mountain bike, longboard, skate, shoot a machine gun, kayak, take a sauna with me, whatever... REJECTED! Not young gals either, gals in their 40's to 60's.

If my wife wanted a little male company fine with me. Just save the vag for the hubby, that is all I ask.

I don't like to eat in restaurants. I like to cook myself and eat my own food. if wife wanted to eat out in fancy restaurants, she could have a guy friend to do it with. Same with opera. I hate it, if she needs it and has to go, why not go with a guy pal. Now, after the event if he wanted to give her a little hug and a kiss on the cheek... OK. Maybe a little nuzzle on the side of the boobie.. OK. But save the goddamn vag, heavy duty nipple suckling and Frenching for me!

• Marriage is about trust so it really isn't about right or wrong or appropriate or inappropriate, its about how much trust there is in that marriage, does the wife know, what are the other womans intention, what are the husbands intention. There are so many factors to it that one can't say If its appropriate or not, as it has the potential to be a harmless friendship or become something more in the future... but again there is no way of knowing that it depends on the the factors. to answer your question more directly no it isnt.

• there is no harm in being friends unless she has an agenda

• I don't see a problem with it. Although I think in general, you should be friends with both of them.

People can't lock their partners in the basement and keep them from interacting with the opposite sex. Relationships should be built on trust and if the trust is truly there then it shouldn't be an issue.

• I don't have a problem with that, though I would have to ask myself why this person isn't friends with the other spouse.

• If there's no ulterior motive then I don't any reason why she shouldn't befriend him.

• I don't have an issue with it. I have a few single friends who are female.

• It's not a problem in face value. Everything is good as long as respect is involved.

• As long as his wife knows you're friends its okay

• Because if my wife won't give me sex I'll go to you and shit will happen.

• yes that's fine I wouldn't care

• i'm in a similar situation with someone who became a good friend from work, but i've no idea what her husband looks like let alone met him.

I've tried to take the view it's fine as long as I don't ask about her relationship and maintain respectful boundaries.

• That's fine. It's just friendship.

What Girls Said 11

• I am not married but I may as well be considering how long we've been together. :p

I would have no issue with that. I know what kind of man I'm with. I know his moral character. What am I supposed to do? Tell him that Jean on his legal team cannot be his friend? If they work together how am I supposed to prevent a friendship from happening?

I know my man is faithful. Besides, I have a lot of single guy friends. It would be hypocritical of me to tell him, "Honey, you can't be friends with Jean but Paul and Bob and Frank and I are allowed to be friends." Fair? Not at all. If I were to tell him he can't have female friends I would have to agree to not have male friends. And that'd suck. So female friends he shall have.

• Personally as far as its platonic but I'd still say no - who knows one might develop feelings for the other

• Yes. I personally only have a problem with female best friend. It's too weird that the guy share everything with another woman but a regular friend isn't a problem

• I am very close friends with a few married men & don't have a problem with it. The wives don't seem to mind or have never said any thing to me personally. Mind you these friendships started back in school.

• If they're just friends. I don't see any problem unless for some reason you don't trust your husband.

• i think it's fine if she knows about you, but it's risky. just be sure to ask about her and acknowledge her when she's near or around.

• only if she think it's appropriate for her husband to befriend a single girl :)

• No. Stay out.

• As a married women I don't have a problem with it. My husband is friends with girls he went to school with and has worked with... and I don't know a lot of them but its okay. I'm not worried he's messing around or anything. And just as he's friends with girls I'm friends with guys. Its not biggie.

• For me it depends on why they're friends more than anything.

If they met at school or work I'd be more comfortable than if they met at a grocery store idk... I just feel like it would actually make more sense if they obviously had something big in common with each other (maybe if they met at a hobby club or something) than if they met just randomly.

That's just how I feel about it though.

Also, is my husband the type to have female friends/make new friends? That's a big factor to me too. My ex met new people all the time (we actually broke up because he got a new female friend, but that was different because he was going too far and staying at her house and I wasn't worried about her because she was a lesbian, but her roommate is literally the biggest ho in town so yeah.. he's NOT allowed to sleep at your house) but anyway, if he's the type to hang out with new people everyday and meet a whole bunch of people I wouldn't care as much as if he were the type like my current boyfriend who is quiet and reserved. My current boyfriend hasn't made a single new friend in the year we've been together so if he just suddenly made a female friend out of nowhere (he has female friends now, but they're all tied in the "group" so I think they're ok) I think it'd be a red flag for me.

I don't know.. I feel like there has to be a reason for your friendship to have started is all. In my eyes if you just meet someone down the street and not at the gym or at a language class or anything specific to your interests I'd just see it as kinda sketchy

• It shouldn't matter as long as it's just a friendship it's not inappropriate that's like asking if having a gay friend that is the same sex as you while in a relationship.