41% of babies today born in US are to unmarried women. Surprised?

Number of live births to unmarried women: 1,609,619

Percent of all births to unmarried women: 40.7%

61% make less than $30k a year vs Married $81k a year.

Just a simple poll, surprised or not?

• Surprised?
  • Not surprised?

Most Helpful Girl

• Premarital sex is pretty much the norm now, and sex = babies. So I'm not surprised at all.

What Girls Said 6

• Not really. Does your statistic account for the growing number of common-law relationships? Because then you have a dual income household, support from the father for parenting and basically a nuclear family except that it doesn't show up like that on paper.
    Unless of course your stats took that into consideration...

• The stats are from the CDC. I don't think they took that into account. But in the next post I also linked an article out of the UK that says that up unmarried couples with kids don't stay together. Granted that's the UK but I think it highly likely that it applies in the US, I just have searched for it.

• Yes, I've read the instance of common-law couples staying together is slightly lower than married couples, but not that much.

• Not surprised, but I'm also assuming this data has taken into account the fact that many people are just together without getting married at all. If you're not married, you're still considered single by the government.

• Not at all surprise

• Considering the culture there does not stop people from having sexual intercourse before marriage, I would say this is to be expected.

• Not surprised at all lol

• not suprised at all but sad

What Guys Said 3

• Somewhat surprising, I thought the numbers would be much closer to the 50 percent, like a 46-48 range.

• It is a 2012 number so maybe it has gone up already. They question being asked now in the media is marriage for the wealthy. I think if you marry you will be wealthy because of two incomes.

• Thank you very much, sir. I'll see what I can get out of it.

• Nope not surprised, we men are fortunate America is full of sluts... keep dem hoes coming

• I imagine of this 100% are strong black women?