Why do people seem to mostly have weddings as big and expensive as they can?

Honestly I'd feel weird doing that. I don't have much family or friends and it's not something I particularly care that much for... and it would be weird for me anyway.

Most Helpful Guy

• Two people have promised themselves to one another and seek the recognition and support of friends and relatives.
    This fact has become lost by the pomp of so many of today's weddings. For many brides it has become all about throwing a big party for yourself on your father's dime. I totally share your sentiment.

What Girls Said 1

• Its mostly because that's what the girls have always been told was correct

What Guys Said 3

• According to my (limited !) experience the most expensive weddings lead to the earliest divorces.
    We had a 'cheap' wedding and have a now very long marriage with the intention to make it last an eternity. :)

• They spend more to increase their chance of divorce.
    Recent studies showed that more you spend on an engagement ring and wedding reception, the higher your chances of divorce are.
    If you spend more than $2000 on the ring and $20,000 on the reception, you're putting nails in your coffin.

• Because it's one last day of happiness... it's all downhill from there!