Do you think (consensual) polygamy should be legal?

Polygamy = marriage involving more than two people

• Yes, with no limit on the number of spouses.
  • Yes, but with a limit on the number of spouses.
  • No, not at all.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, of course. An adult, REGARDLESS OF GENDER, sexual orientation, race, or religion should be free to marry any and all consenting adults, without prosecution, bullying, or discrimination. Please keep in mind polygyny is one husband, multiple wives. Polygamy can also be one wife, multiple husbands (polyandry) or three or more people of the same gender, or multiple men with multiple women.

What Girls Said 2

• Marriage is a label that littlerally means nothing besides its symbolic weight in our social norms. Marriage is a catholic tradition, if you dont want to follow the rules of the tradition then dont take part. No one will blame you, same sex marriage and common law are growing options for those who chose not to partake

• If someone wants to be a wiener swinger then they don't need to get married. Marriage should be when your ready to commit to one person.

What Guys Said 6

• I think so. Of course I live in a country where the benefits to marriage from a government recognition standpoint are questionable. It's legal to have two girlfriends. It's legal to have a wife and a girlfriend. Marrying the second would actually mean she'd likely pay higher taxes and be eligible for fewer benefits.

The main benefit for wife 2 is legal protection I marriage ended. Right now she has none.

That's why I suspect polygamy will not be legalized. Some girl dates a guy for 10 years and he supports her and they break up? She deserves money for all the support she gave him. Common law marriage! Oh wait the guy was already married? That slut doesn't deserve a cent of wife 1's money. (Oh I mean the couples).

• wow I feel stupid I didn't even think of the benefits of marriage or what would happen in a divorce in a polygamous marriage. that's tricky. I wonder how that would work

• @marshallv they'd need to figure out how things like survivor benefits on insurance or family medical coverage would work, for example. It has tax implications in that certain expenses can likely be moved to the higher income party, while at the same time others would actually move to the -lowest- income party. And some stuff I don't even know about. I can't claim any child care expenses because my wife is at home with kids. If she worked as well she would claim them (unfortunately) not me assuming we income is lower. What if I had a second wife? Would first wife be able to claim expenses if second wife wasn't working? If second wife took care of first wife children could she charge her to do so? Could first wife expense it?

• My only concern is the applications of benefits. If I have three wives and 12 children, I'm costing a lot of insurance money for my company

• Living with a few or many people together, sharing house and beds is not illegal.

• Shit, no !
    One wife can be more than enough trouble and expense for any man. Imagine getting cleaned out in divorce by two women.
    It would take 2 lifetimes to financially recover from it.

• I don't see how it affects anyone outside the marriage so yeah why not. Not my business

• Depends on what you see marriage as tbh.
    If it's just for tax benefits than no would be my answer to your question. I might be wrong here but everyone could marry as many as they could for their own reasons. The situation would become ridiculous.

If it's for love, then maybe. I wouldn't ever want 2 wives nor would I wamt to be one of 2 husbands but I suppose some wouldn't care. Maybe for religious reasons some might be allowed to do it under special conditions.

As things stand though a lot of the laws surrounding marriage would need changing. kheserthorpe said it best as he raised the issue of divorce. Imagine negotiating who gets the house, kids or alimony when there are 3, 4 or 5 spouses with different people's kids in the picture.