How do you do a wedding when you're both Atheist?

Me and my gf have been dating for a few years and I'm ready to take it to the next level. However, we are both Atheist and we both come from strong Christian Families. Her family is Catholic and mine is Baptist. How to go you go about palnning a wedding? Who do you get to perform the wedding ceremony without a god. Also, how do we tell our families that we aren't Christian? How do we stop each family from accussing me of corrupting my girlfriends christian values and vise-versa. We were both Atheist before we met. I know she would rather travel than have a ceremony. But I feel like a ceremony is very important that way we get to have our families meet and learn about eachother. Any ideas?

Most Helpful Girl

• Plenty of people have non-religious ceremonies and I plan to have one myself. You can be married by a justice of the peace who doesn't have any religious affiliations and is simply legally able to marry people. If you haven't let your families know that you're not Christian then you're just gonna have to bite the bullet and do it, that's something they should already know. If they had already known that then there would be no worry of them blaming it on your fiance, if they do just explain that you've been atheist for a long time and just haven't told them.

What Girls Said 3

• I think you should go to the court room and signs papers to state your marriage. Bring family members that understand that you guys would rather get married without having God involved. Then, have a reception with family so it still has the wedding feel to it.

• Well, I still want to have speeches and have it very formal

• Elope and get married by the flying spaghetti monster.
    -fellow atheist
    Your wedding is about two people in love, it's not about joining tribes or selling people into a legal document that just states what you already feel about each other

• Your families don't know you're atheists? I would let them know. It'll come up in the planning of all this. Anyway, a good friend or someone you both greatly respect could perform it. I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting licensed to do that for you guys, or however that goes. I would have poems, readings, music, etc. to reflect on and take the place of prayers and hymns, and then of course, the vows, promises and the like. Have it someplace beautiful, doesn't need to be a church. It's your wedding and the start of your lives together - you should have it the way you want it.

What Guys Said 2

• You might have trouble convincing your religious family members, but marriage is only a financial contract.

In long-ago times (about 1000 years), that contract was only witnessed by family and friends. It's only in more recent times that religious officials were invited to witness the contract.

• Weddings and marriage were around long before Christianity was...