A recent study shows there are 152 marriageable men to every 100 marriageable women?

So why are qomen complaining about the quality of men all the time. www.brookings.edu/.../08-marriageability-employment-childbearing-sawhill

Most Helpful Guy

• It's OK though because women are much more interested in marriage than men today. According to the Pew Research Center...

"The share of young men (ages 18 to 34) who say that having a successful marriage is one of the most important things in their lives has dropped six percentage points since 1997, from 35% to 29%. For women, the opposite effect occurred, as the share voicing this opinion rose from 28% to 37%."

www.pewresearch.org/.../

• I think its because guys see how women are from an early age

• Marriage is a bad deal for most men today. The benefits are fewer for men than in the past and the risks and pitfalls are much greater now. Just the opposite is true for women. It's no wonder more and more men are opting out of marriage today while more and more women are eager to get married.

What Girls Said 4

• They compared different definitions there. By the end of the day it depends on your personal definition. Someone might say they only want virgins, which would narrow it down quite a bit.

I would say a man is marriageable to me if he employed (or in college), childless, never married before, wants a family and is somewhat attractive.
    I don't think there is any data on that. I'm also a bit curious how they define employed. Because with more women going to college than men, that might very be the reason for that difference if college counts as not employed

• Actually most of that is in their definition.

• A degree is not basic and attractive is subjective.

• I didn't say he has to have a degree

• It depends on your personal definition of "marriageable."
    You don't marry someone just because they make decent money and they're fertile. We marry people because we love them and want to spend the rest of our lives together simple as that.

• I think their definition is pretty good.

• Wow. That sucks for men!

• every man need to marry 4 women's :3

What Guys Said 5

• It's a joke. They come up with that assuming that marriageable men AND women have to be employed and far fewer women are.

They sniff that 'only if we compare employed men to all women is their an imbalance favouring women'

But of course that's exactly true.

• I've never really looked at it from the point of view of employment, children, or past marriages being a big factor.
    I have looked at it from another point of view, where you take out all the homosexual/ lesbian/ asexual people, and just compare the numbers.
    About 3.5% of the population are homosexual or lesbian. By age 25, 44% of women and 31% of men are married. By age 30, 68% of women and 56% of men are married.

Lesbians then become about almost 8% of unmarried women, and homosexuals about 6% of unmarried men.
    About 3.5% of unmarried men are asexual, and about 17% of unmarried women.
    That leaves you with 75 women competing for 91.5 men (assuming they want a sexual relationship in marriage). For every 100 women there are 122 available men.

Try multiplying your 152% by 122%, and you come up with 185.4%.
    Combining your figures, and my figures on sexual preference, you would have 185.4 men for every 100 women.

• jesus, by 25 almost 50% women are married? Feeling slightly inadequate now

• maybe because there's too many to choose from?

• When was the study done?

• They're just being generous to the women... The ratio is a lot worse then that.