Why do people who get divorces claim they are Christian?

The only time divorce is acceptable is when the other person violates their vows... IE - Adultery... emotional or physical abuse... etc.

If it's because of some nonsense like "irreconcilable differences"... it makes you a vow breaker. It means your word before God means absolutely nothing. I lose respect for people like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Indeed. If your marriage is in trouble, you just need to pray for help. As my pastor said, "If Jesus can bring Lazarus back from the dead, he can certainly bring your marriage back to life."

People forget that marriage is for forever. You do what it takes to stay together. When I get married, divorce is not an option.

• I can't message you :/

What Girls Said 5

• yeah I don't know, i guess they didn't expect it would be as hard.

it is allowed only in extreme circumstances, indeed, such as adultery, abuse or death.

as for other excuses, I'm not sure what to say or think, as while i know it's the breaking of a vow, it's also the only option they would have in order to live a happy life... very on the fence about it. we dont know everybody's circumstances, so i tend to just not judge on these things.

• Skype. :( Boooo. Not nice

• Maybe people don't want to aire their emotional or physical abuse to everyone around them? Maybe they'd like to hold on to some scrap of dignity rather than be judged so harshly by others who also claim to be Christian and shouldn't be judging them?

• "Irreconcilable differences" is a legal term. Practically all people who divorce check it off because the only other reason for divorcing that the court form list is "incurable insanity."

That said, we really don't know why people divorce. It's a very personal thing. Though it's ideal to work it out some just reach their breaking point a lot faster. Besides, there are hardly any devout Christians in the West any more.

• I don't think faith in God is enough to keep a marriage together. You need to be able to fulfill the needs of your partner. If that's not possible, then divorce is better than being unhappy.

• I don't know but people who get divorced after 2 years
    Shouldn't even have been together in the first place

What Guys Said 6

• Ah people break their beliefs all the time whenever it conveniently suits them.

Apparently religion is no cure for hypocrisy.

• Ever see the one where people claim to be hardcore Christians but have sex before marriage? That's a knee slapper right there.

• @Jewluminazi

• I know right? Doesn't make sense to me either. If they don't believe in God, you'd think they'd beg me for mercy.

• "Irreconcilable differences" normally means that you wife cannot find anything that you've done wrong, and has never asked for anything to be changed or improved. She'll still get a divorce.

Just accept it. You're better off without her, when she has that attitude.

• This is hypothetical. I am not married.

• The man who downvoted me has a lot to learn about marriage and divorce.
      44% of wives will divorce their husband, and 90% of them won't have a reason that can hold water. They also will never have mentioned things to their husband that might improve the marriage, or given him any chance to make those improvements.

• they are dumb

• Because they are hypocrites, they say one thing but do something completely different. Many Christians also believe in things like feminism and gay marriage, which totally go against the message of the Bible.

• Being a Christian means you get to pick and choose which parts of the bible you wish to obey.

• Divorce is allowed in the Bible read the old testament... It is allowed for certain reasons... Irreconcilable differences' is a legal term that just means that whatever happened couldn't be worked through rather than saying the divorce was due to abuse... The reason for someone's divorce is private and doesn't need to be public therefore that is why that term is used.

• It is also talked about in the new testament...

• I am really annoyed by the answers given here by the Christians. The Bible tells us not to judge others and paraphrasing let he without sin cast the first stone... No is sin free we have all done something wrong and one sin is not worse than another unless it is blasphemy... You will not have to answer for others sins or mistakes just like they will not have to answer for yours therefore it is absolutely none of your business and you are just as wrong for having a judgmental attitude as what you think the divorced person is... If you are going to call yourself a Christian I suggest you actually read the Bible and not just talk about certain parts that make the case for your argument while omitting the portion that contradicts the point you are trying to make. The judgmental attitude is the reason why so many are turned off to religion. No one is perfect not even you. anyone can be forgiven of their sins as long as they repent so what makes you better than God if he wouldn't judge them

• As a Christian myself I've been asking the same question for a very, very long time. Also why people are remarrying after getting divorced. All I'm met with is anger and people don't seem to want to talk about it. I get accused of not knowing what I'm talking about and hating them for bringing it up. I see it as love, I'm trying to save them but people don't like listening unless it's what they wanna hear