Would you be able to marry someone before you have sex with them?

A lot of people like to wait for marriage before having sex. Well, could you do it?

• Yes, I could wait
  • No, I could not wait
  • See results

Most Helpful Girl

• You don't buy a bull without sampling the beef and you don't buy a cow without trying the milk.

What Girls Said 8

• Nope, I wouldn't wait till marriage and here are my reasons:

1) I already had a relationship and didn't wait. I don't regret either and believed it's natural in a relationship, esp a way you're showing you love that person and actually want to get intimate with them.

2) I'm not even religious nor believe in god so other than that, what's the point? To me that would feel like someone asking me a license to have sex.

3) To be honest, I don't care too much about marriage and don't even want kids so again what would be the point?

4) Even if a I were a virgin at this age, more than likely the man I'm waiting for wouldn't be a virgin out of choice so what's the point? in my opinion a older female virgin that waits till marriage is investing all that waiting for someone that didn't wait... all for nothing.

5) What if the marriage sucks in the end?

• i'm of the mindset that if you discuss your sexual preferences from the beginning and have a strong emotional connection- the sex shouldn't be awful when you do get to around having it. and i also think sex can get better and better through learning more about each other. i -could- wait until marriage, but i would prefer to start having sex if i was engaged or if it was like... a long-term relationship and i "knew" that he was the right guy.

• No I don't think I could.

• In my opinion I couldn't because what if you get married and he's not doing it for you or your not doing it for him so one of ye or both go looking else where there fore the relationship is screwed

• No I would not wait. Not in a million years.

• Yes if we're building our relationship it's actually best to not be sexually active, it clouds the reasons why you should pick a life partner.

• It is not best. Either decision is beneficial to the people specific in that relationship.

• It proves only you're both very religious.

• Don't forget that some 70% of Americans say they're Christians and some 90% + have premarital sex.

• I am waiting, and no I'm not religious. I just like the idea of my husband being my only. Plus I got engaged REALLY young and was very shy growing up so I didn't have any relationships before the one that I am in right now.

• Naw I won't wait

What Guys Said 12

• There is no way I would not. Only doing things Gods way is going to bring you happiness. The reason we date is to determine if the person is someone we want to spend the rest of our lives with. You ruin that with sex beforehand. Don't ruin it, wait until marriage.

• No, sex is too important to me and it would be imperative that we are sexually compatible and have the same sexual needs and desires. With all due respect, I don't get people that want to wait. It is like they are making the simple act of marriage more important than the person they are marrying. The person is more important, not the marriage.

• The answers you provided don't exactly match up with the question.

There's no question I -could- wait.

However the question is whether I'd commit to marrying someone based on theoretical-at-best sexual compatibility. That's a maybe and realistically leaning to no.

A separate question is how likely (if single) I'd date someone who was waiting for marriage for long enough to conclude it was worth waiting. The answer to that is that it's highly unlikely but not impossible.

• By "could" I meant "would"

• For the right person I would. But the odds of me knowing they are the right person are so much lower it becomes a probably not.

• yes i could. but if she is waiting as well.. because there is a big chance you will get hurt if you marry some one that had sex before you.. and you its your first...

• I'd most likely not get married to someone without having sex

• but it wouldn't be a matter of not being able to wait but rather not wanting to wait. sexual relationships are tricky and not all people are sexually compatible. I would want to find out how we matched up (chemistry and stuff) before making an emotional and legal commitment like marriage

• Nah I'd like to see if we are compatible first. I've gotten close to women and when things started getting heavy I realized that shit wasn't gonna fly with me lol

• I could. I would not mind. Sex is minor to me.

• Would you buy a house without visiting it from cellar to attic?
    Buy a car without driving it?

• Nah I wouldn't be able to wait. I might as well not lie.

But most people on here are atheists or agnostic so what the heck would the be doing getting married anyway?

• Nope. Sex is far too important for me to risk marrying someone who I'm not compatible with.

• No, I couldn't.

• No, I wouldn't marry someone I didn't know.