Do you need to report your engagement to the government?

Do you need to report your engagement to the government? I know we have to report marriage and divorce, we don't have to report our relationship (bf/gf), but how about engagement?

0|0
1|5

Most Helpful Guy

• No, you don't have to report an engagement at all.

However, there can be legal ramifications if the engagement is called off. For instance, if you receive an engagement ring from a man, then that gift is something of an obligation - you received it and accepted it as part of an oral agreement that you will be married. In law, this is something called a "quid pro quo" (this for that). So, if you do receive an engagement ring and YOU break it off, then, if he asks for the ring back, give it back to him, else he could sue you for it. (But, he'd likely lose if he is already married to someone else.) However, if he gives you an engagement ring and HE breaks it off, you can keep the ring, I believe.

0|0
    0|0
    • If the breakup is mutual, also, the ring needs to be given back. Google:

"engagement ring" "quid pro quo"

A hit from this book: Foundations of Law: Cases, Commentary and Ethics
      By Carol Bast, Ransford Pyle

will then explain it.

What Guys Said 4

• No, you don't have to report an engagement.

0|0
    0|0
  • You d not.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it is a the promise not the actual commitment. The government doesn't care about people being almost married as it has no legally binding effect.

0|0
    0|1
    • That's not entirely accurate as I mentioned above. Google:

"engagement ring" "quid pro quo"

A hit from this book: Foundations of Law: Cases, Commentary and Ethics
      By Carol Bast, Ransford Pyle

will then explain it.

• Thats just about the gift of the ring and is a civil matter. It doesn't confer legal responsibilities that the Federal or State government cares about.

• Nope. You could both claim head of household as well on your taxes

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• No you dont have to

0|0
    0|0