Why do marriages fail 50% of the time?

Why do marriages usually fail? I'm starting to wonder if most people loved each other to begin with or were simply settling. Are most men just assholes who don't want to take care of children or are women at fault for dating an asshole in the first place? Are women using the child for money? Is she keeping the child away from the father. I don't know.

I know its a broad question but whats your perspective

Most Helpful Guy

• Marriage is a contract with God, not man and woman. So many do not have a clue that man promises to God to take, love and hold through sickness and bad times and the woman promises to God the same. God is love. Where there is no love there is no God. Where there is no God there is only the illusion of love.

What Girls Said 74

• Because people think about their own happiness and not the happiness of the person they are with / dating.

• Having never been married, but about to be married in July I think that's a scary percentage. My take on the reason is not that people mature and grow into a different person, but that they fail to feed and nurture their relationship. Communication is the key. My perception of any long term relationship whether it be married, live in, dating is that love is a living being that you both have to feed for it to survive. Like a house plant, if it's not watered it drys up and dies.

Both my fiancé and my own parents are in successful long term marriages (25+ years), both couples still have date nights sometimes once a week or once a month. As my brothers and I got old enough to be left alone all night my parents would take off to their special place for a night to themselves. It might sound selfish to some but if they don't feed their relationship they grow apart that would really suck because I can't imagine my family split apart.

I hear of friends whose parents hardly speak to one another. I couldn't and don't ever want that, so I'll do almost anything to keep our love and relationship fresh after we are married. I don't have the answers, but you can bet I will try to find them on my part as will he so that there is an us for a long time, hopefully a lifetime. I'm not naive, just realistic, if others are successful then you need to be checking out what they are doing right and incorporating that into your own relationship.

• I think marriages fail because people go into them with the wrong expectations. It seems people often think a marriage is just pure happiness all the time and that it's easy and feels "right". The reality is that people continue to grow and change throughout a marriage and a kinds of challenges come up that nobody ever saw coming. If you don't go into a marriage accepting there will be unexpected challenges you'll need to work through together, people just think the answer is, "well, I guess this wasn't meant to be" instead of, "okay, here we are, lets figure out how to fix this and be happy again".

• Society isn't the same as it used to be 50-60 years ago. Women needed a husband in most cases because most women didn't work in the past, it was looked down upon to be a single older woman, and it was taboo to get a divorce. We're also a lot more sexual now. Before it was nearly impossible to find a woman who was sexually active outside of a marriage or serious relationship, and now it's much easier. There's a lot more temptation that men and women of the past didn't have to deal with. Access to sex and possibility of cheating are around every corner and it's a lot easier to hide too. Also, because it was so taboo to get a divorce, couples were pretty much forced to work through their problems and fix their relationships, whereas now, they can just leave and not bother to even try.

• all very valid points.. not sure i can see the point of getting married (for a guy) given these new dynamics...

.. probably a better way to live then legally tying yourself down with an aging beauty who's jumped from dick to dick in her sexually liberated youth

• You say that now, but once you fall in love, it might be a little different lol. I used to say I would never get married, but it just takes finding the right person to change that. There may be some negative sides to marriage, but that only includes divorce, and then that only counts if you've married a completely immature and deceitful woman. Find a good woman, and you won't have to worry about that problem.

• In my case, my marriage failed for several reasons. I wasn't really even in like with my husband. We'd been introduced by friends, scratched the physical itch, ended up pregnant, and his very religious mother sort of pushed us into a marriage we were too young to really want. I was young, finally rebelling against my parents, and he was a guy that showed interest in me, a rare thing for me. But he cheated on me, with a girl I didn't really like and that he actually didn't find attractive, but she let him do anal and that's what he wanted. I personally couldn't get comfortable with it.

I forgave him, but by the third girl that came around, the fact that I worked but he couldn't even commit to a job or school, that I was always the one taking care of the kid, and that he'd go gallivanting about at night with his friends in my car and seemingly felt no responsibility just killed it.

I had been trying to make it work, but I really wasn't happy. His mother kept telling me I just needed to forgive and forget like a good wife should, and that was the end for me.

• When you are with someone, you have to talk when you don't like something he/she did. Not to shout and cuss, not to keep it inside you, but explain it to your significant other in a calm manner, pointing out the problem and not accusing him. The first time this bad thing happens, before it becomes a habit. Most couples that divorce, don't make conversation about their problems. They think they are right and the other person is wrong. They don't want to hear his/her point of view. They think that if they don't fight the other person will understand he/she was wrong. And because everyone has faults and we can't be perfect, you both have to put up with some things you don't like. I don't mean to tolerate things that go against your beliefs, but smaller things or drawbacks of the other person. If the other person has drawbacks you can't tolerate, then you don't marry him at the first place. Sometimes you marry someone because you think you can change him. I can't change anyone, only myself.

• In that statistic, I'm assuming they're counting all marriages so here are some reasons;

- Arranged/forced marriages
    - Underage marriages
    - Illegal marriages
    - Married too young (naive)
    - Married only for the other's money
    - Love fades
    - Rushed marriages (people get married within months of even knowing each other which obviously nearly always ends in divorce)
    - Person becomes abusive
    - Infidelity
    - Stress from life causing tension but the couple is lacking in good communication skills

That's most of the reasons why they fail. The ones which last weren't rushed marriages, they got to know their partner over some years before doing so, they're loyal and perfect for each other.

• lol people's worldview on marriage seems deranged.

"married too young"?

older marriages are only more stable because people want stability and have fewer options in the dating market as they age

younger marriages may be less stable, but they're more meaningful and ideal. i would take growing w/ someone over my youth then settling down w/ a girl who wants stability after a youth spent taking copious dick any day

• Because they're not marrying me.
    Haha jk.

I don't know. I guess it has to do with a number of things. People take love and loyalty for granted. And if people say it's only in todays times. False. It's just that now with social media and digital trails, people have an easier time getting caught now.
    People not valuing each other. If some smart ass again wants to say "thanks to progressives and feminists". Kinda false. Cuz I guess with more rights, come more responsibilities. Now, if a woman is in an abusive marriage, she isn't forced to stay with a husband that beats her. If a woman is in a relationship with a husband that cheats, again, she isn't shamed into "working it out" with a cheater. Men also aren't forced to stay with a woman just cuz he knocked her up or for kids. Though child custody is pretty fucked up for men.

There's really a lot of things. But those were the main ones.

• Poor research
    Instant gratification
    BS contracts practice (they focus only on what they get, not their part of the deal)
    Lust mistaken for love
    Fair weather marriages don't weather storms, lack of character
    Inheritance or illusions of a royal life foiled
    Dating = marriage, right?
    Parents were duds
    Just plain stupid?

• I feel like it's because no one respects the sanctity of it anymore or because they are entering into it for all the wrong reasons. For example I know tons of people who married right out of highschool for all the wrong reasons: They got pregenent, they wanted out of the town and thought the only way to do that was through a man, they "didn't want to be alone" or becuase they didn't want their SO to leave them. Not to mention that the mindset is all wrong these days. A majority of people just kind of take marraige flippantly because "you can always just get divorced, it's no big deal". I don't understand it. I'm not sure I will ever marry because it just doesn't mean anything to most people anymore. It's not taken seriously.

• one of the reasons i'm not sure if i really wanna get married later on... they FAIL

• Children are not the reason most marriage fail. Children growing up maybe. Some scientist believe once children are above the critical ages than ensure their survival couples have no biological reason to stay together.

But honestly I think most of the time it's just drifting apart. With time people put in less effort and drift apart. A lot of people in marriage don't feel loved and valued anymore, even though they have a partner.
    Some of it might just be a mid life crisis. Realizing that at 40 you're never gonna be a rockstar or astronaut. In fact, what you are now is probably all you're ever gonna be. So people crave change

• I think marriages are failing because society hasn't the slightest clue what it's like to truly love someone. People are marrying for money, to hide pregnancies, and other stupid reasons. Then there are the people that don't respect love, the ones that say they love their wives or husbands then cheat or ask for threesomes to "spice things up". I think we all need a reality check, if everyone was completely honest about their life goals before they got married so many families wouldn't have to suffer through a divorce.

• Pretty much what you said. There are some people settling and there are people being naive and not thinking things through and creating a mess for themselves and everyone else. And sometimes it's because of the kid (s). If they have a kid and one parent doesn't want the kid, then there's a huge problem. Jobs and money are huge parts in it, too. And sometimes people realize that the person they married is insane (like my poor dad who married a crazy bitch and finally divorced her). And sometimes, it just plain doesn't work out. "When you love someone, set them free" or something of that nature. They may fight too much or can't tolerate each other. It's just that fact that some people don't know what they're getting into when they get married.

• There are so many reasons if you ask me. I know quite a few people who got married because they were in their late twenties/early thirties and were feeling pressured to do things like start a family. In turn they married whoever they were with even if they weren't totally in love with them and it ended in divorce. Sometimes I think people end up marrying their current bf or gf because they've been together so long and even though they're not totally happy starting over again in the dating world seems way scarier. These are two of the most common reasons I've seen amongst the people I know. I also think some people don't think the decision through and end up with someone who isn't right for them.

• I was in love and still care for him. He's not a bad person. Even with counseling and many lingering hurts, we can't seem to figure it out. He's a great dad to our kids. In my case it was years of letting problems sit and never taking the time to work on them. And now there is a lot of damage that was done. There's a lot of "failed" marriages out there, but the two stay together/married... that's considered succesful.

• _Because people get married early, when you're young, the chances are you won't make a wise lifetime changing decision!
    _Because of the perfect image that is promoted all the ways on media, everybody know curvy flat-bellied girls don't exist unless they photoshopped their pictures/ or went for surgical procedures and his is exactly what makes a relationship fall apart because of one partner always wanting that perfect image in his partner. If you take a look at the past century's relationships, not only are they solid, but also durable and long-lasting.
    And most importantly:
    _Because there isn't enough patience. Nowadays we are constantly getting what we want in a pinch, thanks to technology. Communication has become way too easier , an obvious fact since practically everyone owns a smartphone. However, this is the number one reason why people are losing their patience, and thus their ability to develop the trust in themselves, and others including their partner. !

• b cuz woman today marry for $$$ vs LOVE which was back in the day.. AND woman today have babies for ANYONE NOT just for MARRIAGE as it SHOULD be!!! YES they have kids to GET the mans $$$ and YES a lot marry FOR $$$ then it ALL backfires on them b cuz u MARRY for LOVE ONLY!!! Sad state of affairs for marriage now - some GOOD men marry cuz the woman got pregnant on PURPOSE to GET the mans $$$... which is terrible.. but its prevelant!!! NO most MEN are NOT the assholes its the females that have babies out of wedlock for ANY guy to TRY to keep him especially if HE has $$$... and the KIDS sUFFER reason they are so angry and violent these days!!!

• Marriages don't fail, married people do, they rarely give each other second chance, one mistake and they call years of a shared life off. They look at commitment as if it was hell they're going into, and they quit.

• I agree. You have to be very flexible and forgiving in a marriage. I know this to be true as it has worked for us. you have to give more slack to your spouse than you would anyone else. Some people think you give less slack as they are a spouse and that is a recipe for failure.

• Exactly, understanding that our partner is only human, makes a lots of things easier. We have to learn to communicate, the other part cannot know what goes on in our mind all the time therefore we must set some time to talk and express ourselves, and be forgiving and understanding.

• Well... Let's say they are very happy at the beginning but then they just started to slowly fall out of Love... Then again what if it wasn't fate... Maybe people are assholes and cheat and beat on their spouseaybe? It only takes one person to stop the relationship and maybe the wife thinks he will change for her and a baby might change his mind... Maybe?

• 1. People marry too early. The whole "when you find the right one, why wait?" mentality is so incredibly naiive and is the mentality that most teenagers have.

2. People get to comfortable. The best marriage advice I've ever heard is to pretend as if you're still in the early dating stages of meeting your spouse. So many people get married and become lazy. I've seen way to many married couples that practically treat each other like roommates! No passion, no affection, no stimulating conversations. Don't stop doing the things that made the other person fall in love with you. Or guess what? They'll fall out of love with you.

• It's not like that everywhere. In america it's mainly like that. But divorce mainly results from selfishness and immaturity.
    People these days can't and don't want to deal with any problems, so the line "in good times and bad times" is not accurate for most cause both men and female leave you once things get rocky, instead of working it out. It's sad because I'm one of these people who take marriage and promises very serious.

• Because people change and grow up. they develope into someone different from who they were when they married.

• Marriage has always been hard, and you usually don't understand how hard it can be until you actually experience it. With changing times, women have become more independent and more vocal, whereas, they use to stay in a marriage despite infidelity and abuse.

Divorce isn't such a faux pas anymore. Look how common pre-nups are. People go into marriage with an exit strategy. For a lot of people, "for better or for worst" are just words they recite on their wedding day. They don't truly believe them.

• After the honey moon stage, you begin to wake up again and you start seeing flaws. If you can compromise, then the marriage will work. I think it falls from:
    1) Lack of maturity
    2) Unable to compromise which leads to too many arguments/problems
    3) False image of spouse created
    4) Only married for the money
    5) Income problems
    I have never married, but I see my parent's marriage and other people's.

• I don't think it means they wherent in love sometimes it just means you've changed. I think we change and sometimes we're not in love with the people our SO's have become.
    Sometime I don't think they're in love. Especially when people get married because of pregnancy.

• That statistic is out-dated. Marriages are doing much better these days now that the feminist movement has calmed down. Main reasons for failed marriages in the 70s & 80s were that women started working, but the chores still needed to get done. This caused a lot of issues in households where men were not used to doing those things and women had less time on their hands to cook. Marriages are more successful now because this has calmed down. Men are more than likely expecting their woman to work and typically have an easier time sharing household responsibilities. Also, women and men are both going to college and completing formal education and marrying later. People are also living together before they get married so there's a better idea of whether or not you and that person can coexist before tying the knot.

• Bc one person can't be everything and it's not natural to be monogamous for life.

• My mom left my dad when I was two because he was controlling and mistreated her a lot and was an ass.

• People don't work hard enough at staying best friends with their wife and husbands. Your spouse needs to be your best friend, your lover, your confidante. It needs to be you and them against the world.

• More from Girls
    44

What Guys Said 84

• (1.) Marrying too young. The human brain isn't completely developed until 25. People who marry before then will probably do dumb things that hurt the relationship.
    (2.) Marrying too soon. I've heard of couples that marry after just a year or two in the relationship. How can you commit your entire life to someone if you've only been with them for a tiny fraction of your life? People change and reveal themselves over time, but can easily fake if for a year or so.
    (3.) Marrying for the wrong reasons. No, "good sex" ISN'T a reason to marry someone, even though it's important. Marriage takes much more than just money, sexual attraction, "might as well", or even love. It's an equal partnership where both partners are devoted to sharing their lives together, through thick and thin. "He has a good job" won't mean anything in a marriage if he suddenly loses that job.
    (4.) Not treating marriage as something special. To some, marriage is just a slip of paper or a Facebook relationship status update. To others, it's a very sacred vow where two people become one and stand by each other'so sides no matter what. Just sayin', it's much easier to end a marriage when your perspective is the former.
    (5.) Marrying the wrong person. Like number 3, this is s bad choice. If your partner is still in their "party mode" and wants to go get drunk at some club every weekend, it's not a good idea to marry them yet. Likewise, if they aren't independent and can't go through life without someone holding their hand, it's probably not a good idea either. The partner doesn't need to be "perfect" by any means, but they should have the resources, skills, and will power to make a marriage work.

• I find rushing to be the main reason marriages fall apart. That and marrying for all the wrong reasons.

As a guy who is 30, I have to watch out for women who are looking for marriage now because a lot of women in their 30's feel "their time is running out" and that means they're going to be looking to rush into a marriage while will likely mean... another divorce statistic.

I don't find "most men to be assholes but there are definitely many out there. I feel that's more of a problem for girls attracted to toxic relationships more than anything.

As for the children thing, it's definitely a growing problem no doubt. I feel that many awareness campaigns are out there doing a good job at spreading the word. We definitely need more awareness though because the courts do generally side with the woman in child custody cases. I remember talking with one girl who wanted to meet me off of an online site and she was some pothead alcoholic drunkenly telling me on the phone of how she was clearing weed out of her system so she could safely tell the courts that her ex smokes weed so she can get full custody of her kid. I feel bad for that kid.

• First of all, the statistic is arround 1 in 3. With some more, or some less depending of demographic area.

Secondly we can look at the meaning of marriage, and see that marriage is less morally binding now than before. mainly thanks to breakups being accepted.
    HOWEVER that does not mean people were more often happy before, it simply meant people stayed wether they wanted or not.
    Also note that with the decreased meaning of marriage, people have started to take it more lightly and thus are quicker to both marry and divorce.

In short, people are too quick to marry, increasing the risk of marrying wrong. And it's socially accepted to divorce, meaning it's easier to leave your partner for whatever reason.

• They don't.

Marriages among young people who have no fucking established points in life fail 50% of the time.

Marriages among those with a bachelor's degree and a stable job fail only 21% of the time.

• Marriages are more likely to fail if one person believes they have a better chance at life outside of the relationship.

In the past, when women were predominantly homemakers, it was the man who brought home the bacon, while women cared for the children. In the past, divorce for a woman = a life of poverty. She would be considered damaged goods, and have no life skills or job to support herself. So she had little choice but to stay with her man and take his abuse, whether it was physical, emotional or if he was a chronic cheater.

Today, women are also wage earners and are often financially independent. If they think a marriage has gone sour, they can leave without the harsh financial detriment that women had to endure 50 years ago.

In reality, I do not think the rate of happy and unhappy marriages has changed over time.
    It's very difficult living so close with someone for so many years, and never get into a fight. So the difficulties of marriage in the past are the same as the present.

Meaning, in the 1940's, let's say 50% of marriages were unhappy.
    But due to the reasons said above, only 10% of those marriages led to divorce.

Today, the 50% rate of unhappy marriages remains the same.
    However, 80% of those marriages lead to divorce.

• A lot of people come in with a lot of expectations and when those expectations are not met thats when there are problems. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. There's are going to be disagreements, there's going to be dissapointments and both partners are going to make mistakes. There are toilets to clean, there are bills to pay, and at some point probably kids to raise. It's not just living together and screwing when y'all feel like it. There are many responsibilities that come with being married and not all people are going to be able to handle it, thats why people get divorced. It's seriously the hardest thing I have ever done. there's going to be times that your other half is going to test you and it's going to take everything you have not to just throw in the towel and quit. I would serioulsy recommend taking care of yourself first before even considering making this lifelong commitment, go to college, get settled into a career, put some money in the bank and focus on getting where you want to be in your life, this will lay a good foundation for mairagge should you decide to take that leap

• Young people nowadays have no clue what commitment is. The first chance they throw in the towel and find someone else. Others it comes from something called "family of origin"... google it.
    they grow up knowing that the first thing you do it leave. My ex wife was like that. 80% of her family, probably more, are divorced including her mother (twice).
    In my family, through 4th cousins (I have a very large close familia) I didn't even know anyone that was divorced until my late teens. That was my uncle after 30 years of marriage.
    Even now, only in the last 7ish years has my cousins and my sister divorced. but that is my generation. The people in my extended family my mothers age.. there still is only my uncle who is divorced.
    In my family I grew up seeing that you get mad, you yell, then you work it out and keep moving forward.
    In her family you just keep it inside and never let things go. Shit that just doesn't matter anymore. I mean if an event happens in your marriage, and it doesn't end your relationship right then, it should never be an issue in the marriage after that point period.

• That frequency is for the US. Other places are not that bad.

People divorce/split up because they do not value their relationship/marriage. Many years ago people were more cautious about committing to a relationship, making sure the person was the right one, so the relationship meant more to them. Also, divorces are so much easier to come by now, so at the first sign of problems, many people split. If divorces were harder to get people would have to evaluate their marriage a little deeper before bailing. That would give many the time to realize they don't want to part.

• I've been married for 23 years, it's not easy, but it is awesome, if you find the right person. I'm married to my best friend, she always has my back and I always have hers.

We laugh more than we fight and we love being around each other. When we talk about something we like, the other person is genuinely interested. We both had been in relationships where people where caught up in "man stuff" and "lady stuff" and bought into the whole "I don't understand your crap but I'll put up with it". That is junk, find someone who shares your interests so it's "our stuff".

Plus we get to have sex, all the time, anytime.

But both people have to be willing to set themselves aside and focus on the other person from time to time, which is something a lot of people can't or refuse to do. Which is why I think a lot of marriages fail. Also a lot of people just don't get how big of a commitment it is. Guys get told its a trap, girls get told its a giant princess party and no one really seems to think it's for the long haul.

Meh whatever it's working for me.

• Because marriage doesn't magically fix a relationship or somehow make people more compatible with each other. Some people have the wishful thinking that marriage and getting children will make the relationship stronger when in reality it's usually the opposite, a weak relationship will break from the added stress.

• As @nemer26 notes, like 50% split, the rest include plenty of failures where they haven't split.

Why?

Because if -either party- stops trying hard, it's probably toast.

• 2 main possibilities in my mind.

1) Human beings are not made for monogamy. This doesn't explain the other 50% so I would theroize that, some cheat without being caught out - some can't be bothered to cheat, and some actually are the exception to the rule...

OR

2) Feminism. Since the advent of Feminism in the 1960's women have been told that they are no longer expected to be happy to be simply "married" to a man. Because gender roles have been so diluted there is no longer the expectation that the creation and maintenance of a nuclear family, with a woman doing what women historically did (i. e. cooking, nursing, bringing up young, supporting husband emotionally) and a man doing what he did historically (making money, protecting wife and family) when a woman gets married they begin to realize that they don't actually like this state of affairs because they have been taught by the hateful doctrine that is feminism, that they are "being oppressed" by this role. Thus have men become emasculated (by their gender role being undermined - and by being expected to be softy, caring, lovey duvvy types) - and women are instinctively no longer attracted to them (hence why they like "badboys" rather than "nice guys"). So they leave.

Both women and men need to learn, and in fact, society needs to be re-educated as to what marriage means and what it is for. Unfortunately whilst women feel that the whole institution of marriage is sexist and oppresses them (in other words whilst feminism exists) the trend will continue and more marriages will end in divorce. Add to this the general decline in religious belief and some who would otherwise have never got divorced for fear of God's punishment (i. e. going to hell for the crime of adultery) and you see why marriages break down.

Basically I blame the pill...

• All of the above, is probably true to some extent. On a slightly different note. We are given the wrong impression about love & relationships. We never get told about the hard work, understanding & compromise that goes in to a relationship.

We generally have the impression that if the "butterflies" aren't there, then they no longer love that person. The thing is love changes over time. It changes from being all butterflies & sweaty palms to something more akin to friendship. People then make the mistake that they don't love that person.

Also there used to be a lot of social support couples received from their community. This isn't something that is evident anymore. Along with the increased levels of stress we face. The first thing that suffers are our interpersonal relationships.

• Lots of things can be the reasons for failed marriages. Women being vindictive, men being assholes some people met younger and grew distant as they got older because their minds are at different places. Communication skills are trash, a family member is in the way. Something with or about kids. But selfishness or being too selfless. Either way some men but women more like to think of what ifs a lot they ( as in ppl) think they deserve more than it is what they have. What they may have may not be great but it's good and because you can be going through some rough patches thinking about I is where people fail at because no one wants to work out anything anymore. Everyone just is saying "I" want but doesn't know what to do when they have what they wanted in hand. Love and marriage isn't an easy thing it's a lot of work that needs to be put in to it for it to work. Now I'm not saying you can't leave a person because you're unhappy but I don't think people are really thinking sometimes when they do things

• People rush into marriage, not expecting the hardships to follow. When placing that ring on their finger, you dedicated the rest of your life to them, and if you choose, to your kids. What causes the failure though, is just that they are not plain mature enough for marriage. It is a lifelong commitment. People today only read "in sickness and in health" as "I'm health, but I'll leave if anything bad happens".

As seen through my parents marriage, they almost divorced twice, but stuck it through because they did not know what effect it would have on me at the time (this was about 10 years ago).

In the end, their love for their child prevailed, and soon, the relationship was rekindled, noelw it seems like they are dating again.

Bottom line, people rush, and expect it to be easy, when really, it is a journey of ups and downs, full of laughter, tears, happiness, and sadness.

People need to understand that before they get married

• People rush into marriages way to early out of impulsion before knowing the person
    If we can't remain boyfriend and girlfriend for 3-5 years then I'm not proposing

• Well, it's something of a fallacy that 50% of marriages fail. Those who divorce and marry again and divorce again are counted more than those who marry and stay married. If you are between the ages of 25 to 30, have never been married before, have a college education and a stable job, the odds of your marriage lasting the rest of your or your spouse's life is somewhere around 75%.

As to why marriages fail, finances and differences in religion are two of the greatest factors.

• Feminism. Women who have had just five partners have less than a thirty percent chance of her marriage lasting just five years and with women filling seventy percent of divorces well u do the math.

• I think its kinda funny my friends got married and now five years later half are divorced and I see more coming. I told em dont do it you stupid mofo.

• You pissed off a lot of people, guess you told the truth haha

• Some marriages fail for legitimate reasons like abuse. But most marriages today fail because of selfishness, such as, "I just don't love you anymore."
    I got plenty of lectures on this from my father, and his parents divorced when he was a small child. There was no abuse between his parents, he said they were just selfish and thought of themselves instead of their children, and by divorcing, cost them their relationships with him and all 6 or 7 (or was it 5? One of those numbers) of his siblings. He says he still hasn't forgiven them for it (and he's in his mid-40's...).

• Because people think that they won't meet their sweetheart in high school.
    So after they're out of school, then you can only find people at work, dating sites, the bar, or getting lucky. And none of those are reliable enough...

• It could be many things:
    1. People marrying in order to not be alone, rather than for love. Which usually resulsts in one of the parties calling it quits.
    2. Not having enough husband and wife time. I mean if a couple has kids or a demanding job, they should attend their responsibilities, but if no time is set apart for intimacy and alone time, it's just a matter of time before either a divorce or infidelity happens.
    3. Marrying too early.
    4. When people get WAY TOO COMFORTABLE.

• I don't it's 50/50 anymore. I believe the divorce rate has fallen slightly. Either way, i'd say it has to do with the age people get married.

• Studies, such as "These Boot are Made for Walking: Why Most Divorce FIlers are Women" indicate that abuse and cheating are not the majority reason for why women initiate most divorces.

Women don't have to commit to men, and know they'll get the kids and child support. So they move on.

• I think people get marry too young or are not been together long enough. Also people get married because the girl got pregneat and don't want the be born out of wedlock. My opnion is get married around the age of 28 to 30 and be with the person in the same place for a year or when they are both ready to make a big decision. I also sometimes think women on marry some guys for the money sadly enough but not all women mostly the young stuck up ones.

• I think that statistic is false, but a lot of marriages fail because the people don't actually want to be married

• Actually i think that there are all those reasons you mentioned responsible for divorces... That is why the rest 50% are still happily married...
    Basically if the two people in the marriage are really happy with each other, not cheating, Not immature, not thinking about themselves only... and are working through the problems and sticking to each other then they have no reason for to breakup...

• In this day and age, people rush to the conclusion of love and get stuck in rather sticky situations. Unfortunately, examples are closer to me than I would like, which goes to show that it can happen to anyone. Still, I firmly believe love and marital companionship exist; present-day people are just too lazy to look hard enough.

• Probably because a high percentage of those marriages never should have happened in the first place.

• Too many people kissing their partner's butt instead of just being authentic then years later when the acting is too tiresome to perform they realized they were being taken for a ride.

Or financial problems/realize your partner is a selfish [insert strong, bad word].

• The actual statistic is closer to 30% for all marriages. 50% is for first marriages, and counts successfully remarried people as "still divorced".

• More from Guys
    54