Why is marriage so necessary?

I understand that you love each other. Why do you have to put a ring on his/her finger to show how committed you are to that person. I believe there's no need for it.. Love is love without the marriage too

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, you are exactly right and I am very happy to hear you say that! I feel the same way! I have been in a common-law relationship with my "wife" for 17 years. We are not legally married, and we couldn't be happier! You are right, being married or not should not change the way you feel about someone! We are both anti marriage for a variety of reasons. For us, it is just a piece of paper and a 12 hour party that everyone else gets to enjoy but us! We have both been in wedding parties for friends and family. We have been involved in the planning and organization for some of these and so we have seen the "behind the scenes" bull shit! For most weddings, we can't believe the amount of planning, arguing, anxiety, time and frustration there is for that one day. 100 things have to come together just perfect or the whole day is ruined! We are both turned off by that and want nothing to do with it. We think the amount of money spent is completely insane and would rather put $10-20,000 towards a home or furniture or something that will actually be useful!!! We have seen married couples become complacent simply because they are married and no longer try as hard to be a good partner. It seems couples try harder to remain in a relationship if they are only dating. Once married their spouse "has to" love them because they are married. Again, this is all just a fake show!

• Marriage is pretty much all about the expensive wedding? Good to know.

• I'm sorry if I sounded mean/preachy.

• Its all good, no worries!

What Guys Said 17

• I agree, I don't see the point to it. Its like betting half of your assets that your relationship will last forever. Breaks up can be messy enough with out involving judging and lawyers. Just because a relationship did not last forever does not mean it failed. The success or failure of a relationship is based on the moments shared and the lessons learned.

In some cultures marriage was away for someone to claim the other person as their property.

• While all you said is true, the commitment really benefits your children "if you have any". The commitment cements security in the minds of the children that mom and dad are in it together. Boys need the approval and nurturing from their moms to be able form their own relationships later in life. And girls need the same from their fathers.

• Totally agree... if you love someone then live a happy life together and start a family,

I never understood why you need to bring 'paper work' into it and all the legalities and complications that follow if things don't work out.

I guess tradition plays.

• Marriage is a social declaration of commitment. It is, in a sense, universes apart from what you're describing.

• Marriage is for legal reasons. If 2 people live together and love each other, they're actually married in my opinion.

• Thing is, marriage, not too long ago, was a sacred vow, that held great importance. Hence, it was important, and held great meaning.

Today, it means nothing. It's a legal contract that can be dissolved for any reason, at any time, with no shame. So, now, it holds no real importance.

• Marriage gives a guy rights of custody and access to any children in case of a break up. Marriage gives a guy first name privilege on any mortgage or property deed even if it was your home that he moved in to. Marriage gives some women in some states alimony rights after a divorce. Marriage in some countries is the only way to secure next of kin rights on pensions and insurance policies.

• It's NOT necessary.

• It's not necessary for me. I understand that others want it.

• It is a bureaucratic pact to declare your commitment while also getting tax benefits.

• I totally agree, Asker. Your relationship is between the two of you, the wedding and marriage is showing it off to other people when you really don't need to.

• Marriage isn't for everyone. Marriage is the sacred bond you have with that special person. You two become one when you marry. A lot of people don't truly understand or believe in marriage. They only get married because society tells them to.

• Because marriage is intended for child bearing and being parents. It's easier to leave someone you have invested tons of time and money into. Love doesn't necessarily last.

• its not necessary and not a good/smart decision in todays society
    At least if it goes south the woman can file for divorce and take there husbands assets!

There is no good reason for a man to marry a woman now days

• Marriage does not exist as a legally or socially enforceable institution.

It is irrational for a man to get married.

It is irrational for a woman to have children with a man while not married to a different man.

• As you get older you'll understand why

• It's not. If I spent the rest of my life with someone I want it to be because we both want to every day. As soon as either of us don't want to anymore that should be the end, a contract will just make it more of a hassle to move on and be happy.

What Girls Said 7

• Paper isn't necessarily needed for marriage. though socially it helps the couple and it is recorded and used in different ways when it is legally confirmed.

two committed people who love each other inside a relationship are married, if they are responsible enough to recognize themselves in such place and keep themselves committed inside it.

but the problem is that some people though they may be committed in a period may abuse this situation in the future to break the bound for no reason.

The society cannot take such a boundless freedom for all. because all are not going to be mature responsible individuals, while all may like to be inside a long term relationship, whether call it marriage or not.

so the laws make it a stronger structure. that one has to feel responsible for even thinking about getting inside it.

it must be a serious legal structure so it doesn't easily change to a plaything for many.

you have to consider it is not a plaything, it is not a game. Children are involved in a marriage, possessions are involved, there are lives involved.

naturally the able and more responsible people should get inside it. though there are still many between those who are not responsible.

so generally it is necessary.

do not look at it in a very dreamy way, as in all couples are perfect and there will be love and so commitment. realistically it is very different inside the society.

• Except that history shows that with a breakdown of marriage a breakdown of civilizations follows soon after.

• Yeah I agree.
    However, marriage is a legal document that guarantees certain rights.
    this is important for taking care of any children should you split.
    It also give you some tax breaks when filing tax returns.
    I won't need my guys money, but I think I'll get married anyway.
    If someone gets killed, like me, lots of things can happen that you can't anticipate.
    :)

• -legally binding
    -good for the kids
    -financial benefit
    -stops the other person from just walking away when things get tough
    -public declaration of love and commitment

• Because mairage is mairage

• I you see it as a necessity you'll never understand.
    Marriage and family are the basis of society. It is not a bureocratic pact, nor a social declaration of commitment.

• Marriage used to not be about the paperwork, but now you save yourself a lot of trouble by being formally married. Now it seems to be more important to be married in the eyes of the government than in your eyes and the eyes of God. If you love each other, why NOT get married anyway? My parents considered themselves married in the eyes of God, but after my dad died and family swept in, my mom realized the importance of that legal document. Being married protects you legally, if your husband dies you can get social security and what he wanted you to have more easily. There is also a stigma. Speaking as the child of unmarried parents, it saves the kid a LOT of explaining and pitying looks. People tend to think that if a kid's parents were unmarried, the kid was an accident when that may not be true.