Would it be rude to ask people to come to my wedding four hours away across the border?

I'm thinking about having my wedding in the states in the future. It would be about a four hour drive and they would have to cross the border from Canada to the states and get a hotel room obviously. My bf is American so were thinking about applying for the fiance visa.. Do people often travel a bit for weddings and get hotel rooms? can't be worse than flying somewhere for a wedding..

Most Helpful Guy

• people do often have to travel and four hours isn't too far. the biggest issue would probably be passports. I know friends of mine are getting married 6 hours away in Mexico. The destination wedding can be tons of fun but it will sometimes exclude some people who can't afford to travel or don't have the documents to do so (or if they are felons)... but there are definitely people who traveled four or more hours to attend my wedding in September.

Wherever you'd get married just find a hotel nearby and get a block of rooms. typically a hotel will discount it a bit. we also told friends who were traveling long distances that they didn't need to feel obligated to get us a present since they'd spent money on planes and stuff

What Guys Said 4

• Depends. What are you having as food at the reception? It is a full sit down meal or just light hors d'oeuvres?

• People generally will not travel far to attend a wedding. I flew to a different state to be the best man at a childhood friend's wedding, but I sure as hell wouldn't travel more than an hour to attend a wedding for anyone else.

• I'm only concerned about family attending

• Well, discuss it with them and see what they think.

I'd expect even family members to balk at a 4 hour drive across the border (I wouldn't for anyone in my family). And I assume you won't be paying for their travel/hotel expenses.

But again, talk to some of them about it being a possibility and see what kind of reactions you get.

• I think most people would do it for their family. But we'll see

• Four hours is fine, I think. I'm sure guests can find cheap hotel rooms nearby if that's all they can afford.

• No not at all

What Girls Said 5

• Are you Mexican?

• You're going to decrease the representation for your side of the church, that's for sure. That being said, I've gone as far as the Cayman Islands for a friend's wedding (from NJ). Depends how close you are.

• It is traditional for the wedding to be more bride-centric. I think bc the bride's father traditionally paid for the wedding. Times have definitely changed, and I think you should have the wedding you want. It's not 'rude' to have the wedding you want. But you will exclude a free people by so doing.

• Eh, just do it. Either way, someone's fam is going to have to travel.

• Yeaah. Both families will have to. It would be in th middle of both families

• If they are your good friends they wouldn't mind the travelling. I wouldn't. Often, people fly to another country for wedding.

• Not at all, I've had to travel more than 4 hours for a relative's wedding.

• I have family going from across the ocean to my wedding, you should be ok.