Chicks dig annuities?

Ladies, would you marry a guy if, instead of a ring, he gave you an annuity? What if he made you trustee of a trust containing an annuity that was payable for the benefit of any children proven by DNA to be his genetic offspring?

This is not something I've tried or planned. It's a hypothetical question for our mutual entertainment purposes. I have addressed most concerns you may have in my responses to the other answers here. The discussion has been engaging and humorous. Feel free to peruse the other convos before you opine, as your questions may have already been answered.

Most Helpful Girl

• I dig rings when it comes to proposals.

• Rings don't appreciate in value all that much. Annuities keep on giving.

• A new verse to this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNO72aCnVr0

Just for you.

What Girls Said 10

• I would tell you to shove it.

1. I make more money than most guys I know.
    2. I don't need your money.
    3. I don't need your penis if your heart isn't involved.

Made myself clear?

• You just put all your insecurities on display. Good job.

• "Look, you're either (hypothetically) mad about not getting the ring, or you're (again, hypothetically) mad about getting anything at all."

I can buy my own ring and don't need your money... so why would I be mad?

"Seven other women have answered this question and none of them have taken it the way you did, but you're saying I'm the one who's insecure?"

You have no idea how the feminine heart and mind works... none at all. All seven women have told you we don't want the annuity, we want the ring. Not because of the ring itself but for what it symbolizes. I stated this clearly in point number 3. If I can't have your heart then I don't want your money, your annuity or your penis.

Women want men to love them, give them romance and dreams, walk with them holding their hand when they are old, not make them feel they are part of a business transaction. I am not another cow in the herd, I am supposed to be the love of your life.

• Again, the question was never addressed specifically to you. Not one word of it was motivated by my thoughts about you. I never even heard of you until after I wrote it.

I don't feel sorry for you, and I don't care what you feel about me. Please leave me alone.

• Based on everyone's responses, I think you have your answer. Men believe women are all about money when choosing a husband. Only gold diggers are. Real women have way more character.

• So much character that they won't marry a guy who doesn't present them with expensive jewelry.

• There's more than just term life insurance. What about whole life?

• The first part was really about whole life. I miswrote.

• Eh... no. I'm getting a ring. If you can't afford said ring then you will get me a cheap ring of some kind and promise me you'll get a better one when uou can afford it or even make a ring (which would be so romantic).

But no. You are not going to skip out on giving me a ring. It's the symbol of a ring and unity. An annuity has no symbolism.

• Are you kidding? Annuities pay out for a lifetime.

• But I can provide for us as well. Another part of relationships is compromise and partnership. You don't have to do it on your own.

And 20,000 is a lot of money. He can afford to get a $500 dollar ring. A relationship isn't about penny pushing.

• A year ago I had $9, a quarter tank of gas, and a hundred miles to go to get back home. Sometimes staying alive and out of jail is about pennies. Compromise is good, but in each area of life, somebody has to have final say, with total deference from the other. A democracy of two doesn't work and everyone needs to feel like they're in control of something in their life.

• Yes, I would, not because I'm in it for the money, but because I feel like the entire engagement and wedding process is a huge scam. Instead of spending almost a Million on a one day celebration and 2 two rings, I'd rather have money to invest in something more concrete like our children's education, property or shares.

• Awesome! I knew there were chicks that'd dig annuities!

• It's a generous offer, but not very romantic. And it's not exactly something you can take a picture of and post on Facebook :P

• You can take a picture of it. Your friends who are good at math and finance will be so jealous.

• As much as I would love to impress David G. from my high school math class, you still aren't speaking my language.

• What if the annuity was backed in gold futures?

• A ring is something you get to wear everyday that shows the world that you're taken forever. And something that you look at throughout the day and am reminded of your beautiful SO. My guy would definitely need to want that for me to marry him.

• You'd be reminded of your annuity every time the income check came in the mail.

• Wowwww dude. I wouldn't be marrying you!

• Well, when something happens to me and your hypothetical husband, my hypothetical wife will buy the pawn shop where you have to hock your engagement ring with the income from her annuity.

• I'm not into jewellery, but I'd rather have a toy ring instead of an annuity. I had to look up what that is and I know it's not the case but it sounds like renting a wife.

• It's a long term investment in a future.

• Obviously there are different opinions on the matter. Hopefully the one you propose to will think similarly.

• This isn't something I plan to do. It's a question on the internet, with which I have passed a couple hours.

• I'd rather receive a ring, or something more meaningful than money.

• Your financial security isn't meaningful?

• by the way, i'm not saying I'm gonna do this or anything. I'm just asking, and putting forward the best case i can, for laughs, and entertainment.

• If that's something she would like, then that's fine. I'm only referring to myself. It's just something that I couldn't accept.

• What would happen to the annuity if you got divorced?

• EXCELLENT QUESTION!
      It would be in her name. She would continue to get the income payments.

The one for his children would still be in her name, but in the equitable name of his genetic offspring. If she had another man's child, she would not be able to use it for their benefit. If another woman had his child, she would be forced to pay the income to that child, or its guardian.

• I can dig it then.

• I feel like it supplements what little is left of the legal institution of marriage, providing greater incentive for both parties to stay true. (it may be just money, but it is concrete, anyway.)

• What? This question is strange.

• There's a lot going on here, yes. Read the rest of the thread. Your questions are probably already answered somewhere.

What Guys Said 4