When should you be offended by the engagement ring?

should I be offended if he only spends $50 on an engagement ring?

• be happy he wants to get married
  • be offended that he doesn't want to put more into it
This is coming from a man who makes a really good living and has enough money to lend out ridiculous amounts of money and not ask for it back

Most Helpful Guy

• That depends on how much he earns, if he's really broke and $50 is a lot of money to him then it's still a big thing for him, he has to sacrafice more than a millionaire spending $10000 on a ring.

Or are there other reasons for being frugal, is there something else you'd be saving that money for together? I splashed out nearly a month's wages on the engagement ring but had a very cheap wedding because we wanted to spend the money on a deposit for a house.

So it depends, nobody should have to spend lots of money to prove their love, but if he's just being cheap and refusing to spend money on something that's important to you so he gas more to spend on himself, then maybe that's a warning sign about how mature and commited to you he is.

• He makes a very good living and all he does with that money is lend it to his buddies. When you can just lend a friend $1500 you should be able to spend more than $50 on a ring

• @asker you are right if you can give out $1500 then why only spend 50 on a ring for someone you want to marry

What Guys Said 11

• There's another possible side to this. I'll throw it out there because nobody else has.

Traditional engagement rings are diamond rings. The diamond industry is boycotted by a lot of people. That industry is a total scam and completely controlled by a VERY small number of companies. They use what amounts to slave labor for the mining, and not much better for the cutting. The prices of diamonds are manipulated and controlled with no competition. So the markup on diamonds is huge. If there was true competition, the prices would only be a small fraction of what they are, maybe as low as 10%.

The whole thing is a racket. The industry has the populous trained to think they are supposed to spend a lot of money on a ring. The symbolism only goes so far. The prices are so over-inflated that spending that much money is absurd to the extreme. It's just throwing money away. It's not a matter of how much someone makes or how much he loves you, it's about those rings being total ripoffs. If it was me, any woman who expected an expensive ring would be an instant deal breaker. Anyone who was so frivolous with money would be the wrong person.

By the way, this isn't some conspiracy rant. There have actually been laws passed in an attempt to bring the diamond industry under control, with only limited success.

• does love really have a price?

• You should be offended only if the material worth of a ring means more to you than the feelings behind it.

• Perhaps he purchased the ring at that price to see if you only wanted his cash or wanted him for who he is. The answer is clear here.

If you saw the ring as a sign of his love, it would be priceless. But since you're all about status and value through dollar bills, the ring is worth nothing to you. I hope he doesn't marry you. He deserves better.

• You should be offended if you are a Gold Digging Whore.
    Otherwise you should love anything he gets for you. If it is cheaper then obviously there is a reason for it.

• I feel I should be offended when he spends more on his daily weed than on something that's supposed to symbolize our love

• But I will admit I am on your side on this one if he is a drug user or even a smoker...

• Thank :)

• Count the love not the price of the ring.

• You should read Chad Kultgen's "The Lie"

Because you're living it right now.

Stop focusing so much on material possessions.

• He should have got her an annuity.

• @Bandit74
      I was half serious/half trolling. My logic was valid, and my appeals to feels were as well.

• @srslyly

That was the best part. You're arguments were perfectly valid and you had a logical answer for every one of their complaints :D

• Well that's still $50 more than what you're going to spend on him.

• Actually no I spend a lot more on him than he does for me

• It matters because this is the ring I'm supposed to wear everyday for the rest of my life with him. I'm not saying I want a thousand dollar ring or anything. Hell the one I wanted was only $150 and that's still cheaper than what he blows money on

• I understand , uour concerns do seem reasonable but this is something you should bring up with him.

• You're marrying a guy who apparently smokes $50+ of weed a day, and the thing you're worried about is the price of the ring?

This is a match made in heaven.

• I would say it depends on what you expect and what he is making. I spent $600 I think on my wife. But given I had to save for about 3 months. Which is what they normally say is normal. But you know what I spent $120 for both wedding rings. Cause my wife is a cheap skate in the good way.

• Only if you spend a lot more than $50 on him for the engagement. Most girls don't spend a single penny on their man when they get engaged... So, unless the girl spends money on him, then as far as I'm concern, she should not be offended if he chooses to spend any amount greater than zero on her.

• I spent Four times that amount on him and he knew that before he bought the ring.

• He's really into rc cars so for Christmas I got him a $400 gas powered rc just cuz he'd had his eye on it and I wanted to make him happy

• Okay, so you got him that for Christmas... but you didn't get him anything for the engagement? If you didn't buy him anything specifically for the engagement, then you should not be offended.

Did he not get you anything for Christmas?

I do want to say that from reading the other comments... you say he lends $1500 to his friends. Okay, lending means he will get that money back. And if he was smart, with interest. So, he's really not spending or losing any money when he lends his friends some of his money. But mostly what I want to say is that if he has the money to lend $1,500... then buying an engagement ring that is only $50 is kind of a slap in the face. Not buying a ring at all would be less offensive, in my opinion. So, I can understand why you may feel offended, but if you didn't get him anything for the engagement itself (and no Christmas does not count as getting him something since it wasn't for the engagement)... then I don't think you should take offense.

What Girls Said 13

• I think flashy rings are stupid.

I mean, really.. if you need a big, shiny rock to know that he loves you...

well.. I think you are out of touch with your relationship.

IF I ever fall into love, and want to get married..

I'll be happy with a ring of braided grass.

As long as it is from him, I really don't care.

• If his financial state isn't the best definitely look past the amount of the ring. It's the thought that counts. He's buying you the ring as a symbol of his love , you shouldn't look at it any differently than that.

• If the price of the ring bothers you, it's probably not a good idea to get married.

• He should have got her an annuity.

• Ignore that. It's an inside joke, and I had you confused with someone else.

• @srslyly: Oh I see haha. For a second I had no idea what you meant 😳

• Does he make enough to afford more? I don't know if a guy only spent $50 on my engagement ring I'd be really disappointed to say the least unless it was reaaally the best he could afford. And it's not because it needs to be fancy but because he didn't care enough to invest a little time and money into finding a great ring and making you happy.. is that the value he puts on marrying you? I hope not:x

• Think about all the things you and he both spend $50 on... are any of them nearly as important as this? That's just my opinion..

• Really? Then in that case its unacceptable and a slap in the face. If I knew a guy could afford better I'd never wear a $50 engagement ring. The vast majority of my clothes and jewelry are more expensive than that and if you put any kinda work into your appearance a $50 ring will just seem cheap and tacky

• Thank you that is exactly how I'm feeling

• if you actually love them then the cost of the ring shouldn't matter.

• If he's really poor I wouldn't care, like at least he tried. If he's as well off as you say then $50 is pretty offensive.

I don't feel like a guy should have to spend a lot of money but $50? That's cheap as hell.

• True love doesn't need a price tag on it.

• I don't think I would care. I don't want to get married anyways.

• When it comes out of a Christmas cracker

• If he can afford it, then bitch better give me a proper ring.

I myself don't want to get married though, so it wouldn't matter.

• Depends... Is he financially stable and can afford to spend more than $50? I would be offended... Or is he a little on the low income side? If so, I would believe it was the thought that counts... but honestly everyone is different. My husband and I aren't the most richest couple. And when he proposed he didn't have a lot of money neither but he did save up to at least give me something worth "Awwwing" for.. No offense but I buy sneakers more than $50 so yeah, I would be offended.

• At least in my case, unless the guy is really experiencing money problems $50 is too little. I could do $100 and be very happy. But I regularly spend $50 on gifts for close friends and family because I really want the gift to be complete and mean something. I just feel like a real engagement ring should be worth more than a sterling silver, stain your finger green, department store item. No matter how pretty it is.

• This...

This is something you have to wear everyday for.. hopefully forever. For people who put time and thought and money into their wardrobe and jewelry its just... disappointing to say the least:x

• I agree and he isn't hurting for money in anyway he throws it away like its nothing and then skimps out on me the person he is supposed to love

• What's price got to do with love?
    Anyway, these things depend on income to. A multi millionaire giving me a thousand bucks isn't anything to him, it's change to him it's nothing. A broke guy with no savings giving me 50 is a lot to him, that's probably leaving him without something and his week will be totally different and is actually a bigger deal and he's given me way more than the millionaire with the thousand.