Why do American marry so young?

By young I mean ages 18 to 24.
In Europe people usually marry in their late 20s or early 30s but rarely when they're hardly real grow ups !

I find it so odd when I hear from 18 year-olds getting married and even have children !

so, why is that?

I tend to think marriage is not seen as seriously as in Europe , I know Americans are much more religious than Europeans and therefore get married to " move to a higher level ".

Most Helpful Girl

• They don't really. The average age in the US is 27 for women and 29 for men.
    There are places that marry younger in the US; typically it's less educated and lower class people. Also the south/bible belt and small towns.

The US is pretty diverse in terms of norms. I'm from the East Coast and the only person I know getting married is my roommate who is already financially independent with a job, a house, and 2 cars. Everyone else is planning on getting married around 30.

• That's what I thought. Why does a poor educational background and poverty correlate with getting married so extremely young?

• Well, for one thing less educated means they're not in school. I'd say it's rare for people still in school to actually get married. My parents were 30 when they got married because they did so after they both finished their PhDs. A lot of people marry right after they finish the highest level of education that they're planning on getting so. If high school is the highest than it makes sense to marry right after high school

Second is religion. Lower class and lower education both correlate with higher religiosity. A lot beliefs held by very deeply religious people kind of lend themselves to getting married early.

What Girls Said 4

• The average marriage age here is actually going UP. More people are waiting until their late 20's or early 30's to get married and have children.

• It's a culture thing I haven't quite figured out. Though the US isn't as bad as you think.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4326504

• Actually the average is late 20s

• If they're that young and are married it's because they had a kid or kids together and they think marriage is going to make all their problems go away.
    It's ridiculous.

What Guys Said 3

• Americans are not more religious -_-, well the new generation and upcoming generations are not.

Some people do it just because they live in the present and don't think about the future.

I live in "used to be" wealthy neighborhood. I've seen new neighbors come and go, and shockingly they are young couples. How can an early 20's couple afford a car and house? Through debt, and once the debt becomes a collection, their life goes downhill and so does the marriage.

• We shouldn't be proud of this as Europeans. This sort of thing is detrimental to a civilisation. We've reached a point in history with such a low birth rate that no civilisation in history has recovered from.

Western birthrates as a whole are unsustainable. One needs at least a 2.2 child per family. ONLY to maintain ones population, this is a fact of demography and the European average is now at 1.7. Places like Japan with this same problem are predicted to have a 30% population decrease by 2050. The same is true in the west. .. many people don't understand why this is a problem. A nation of minimal youths trying to sustain am old age majority elderly isn't functional. It'll bankrupt the west.

We've devalued marriage for the most part. We keep trying to redefine it. Our culture today is more about the individual and less about the community like it was.

We should be encouraging real marriage and children

• Im 38, Im not married yet :(