How much should a guy pay for an engagement ring? and a wedding ring?

I'm not getting married anytime soon (sadly) but I am just curious. Like let's say a guy makes $60,000 a year... just to throw a number out there.

Most Helpful Girl

• 3 months salary is the suggestion so at 60k you're looking at $15,000 just for the engagement ring. Wedding rings tend to be more metal than stone and only compliment the engagement ring so, a lot less. You often find a lot of rings that come with the wedding band because it has to be a custom made hugger to fit the shape of the engagement ring.
    As someone that use to sell engagement rings: don't waste that much money on an engagement ring. Pretty sure it was jewelers that made up that rule and spread it around. If you're with a woman shallow enough to care about that silly rule: you need to run far far away.
    Bigger is not always better. It cost more in maintenance and insurance. Big rings are also impractical for every day wear as they get caught on things. They can also be a hazard for some jobs. For instance nurses are limited to allowing being allowed their wedding set and they have to be a lower setting that isn't going to get caught on things or people.

Personal preference of stile and practicality are a lot more important than cost.

What Girls Said 1

• Technically the rule of thumb is 3 months salary but really... whatever you want. Price really isn't a factor. If you think it looks like "her" and that she'll like it then it doesn't matter.

What Guys Said 3

• I honestly only payed 2k for my wife's engagement ring because it was the only style I found that I thought she would really love. Just spend as much as you are comfortable with and remember just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's not tacky. Buy for looks and you would be supprised that you can find amazing engagement rings in the 1-5 grand range

• Whatever you have saved up. Do not go into debt for either.

• Whatever the fuck you want.