I've been going out with my girl for 3 years. I'm 21 and so is she. Yesterday, she caught me off guard about a promise ring, and she wants one on are 4th year together. WTF is a promise ring? What's the meaning behind it? Is there a Diamond in it? Not to be cheap but an engagement ring and wedding band cost money. lol

Most Helpful Girl

• 1st of all pleeeeaaassssse don't listen to that guy. Homer. Don't ask her what type of ring she wants. A promise ring doesn't have to be expensive, the meaning behind it is what's most important. Hopefully she isn't one of those "he better get me a nice one" types. But just get something nice not expensive if she complains tell her that you can't afford that and what matters most is the meaning of the ring, but don't say that crap for your wedding lol. A promise ring is a symbol of you promise to eachother to get engaged to eachtother and get married.

What Girls Said 4

• A promise ring is basicly stating that you will get married sometime in the future without actualy being engaged.

If the only issue is $$$ not that you don't WANT to get her one, then talk to her and make sure that she would not be offened by something simple that you can afford.

• you should be the one giving it to her , not her asking for one. its just another step towards more commitment in the future. Now ask your self if your ready for that, if your not then she needs to back off because you shouldnt feel pressured into some thing that you don't want

• No, a promise ring doesn't have to be a diamond or a wedding band. A promise ring is a ring y'all give to each other it says y'all promise to always be there for each other and you really care about that person.

• She loves you and wants more....

What Guys Said 1

• Promise ring is nothing more than a sign of commitment for future, a step towards marriage and some girls like it. At times some guys like it too. I don't know if you like it though. If you are going to marry her eventually, you might as well get rung and call it a day. Ask her what type of a ring she wants for the promise ring. It definitely costs money to get one :) good luck and congrats.