Would you let your parents have a say in who you marry?

So my boyfriend was supposed to get this huge trust fund when he turned 23. But apparently his older brother burned through his trust fund like a coked up rockstar and he's now in rehab.
So his parents added some extra clauses for their other sons

Most of them are pretty reasonable. Like he has monthly limit until he gets married, no alcohol, drugs or parties from that money and no cash withdrawals.
Then there are some that are a bit more questionable, but I think not too bad. Like that he doesn't drop out of med school. The one he worries about most is that his parents want a veto right in whom he marries.

And I mean ya it sounds a bit harsh, but after all they are his parents and they want to be happy so I don't think they'd stand in the way of that
And I wouldn't marry someone my parents hate anyways, would you? I mean your parents are just part of your family if they hate your wife/husband it'd make life so much harder

Most Helpful Guy

• No, not a chance at all. I expect them to be with me and support my decision, but if they don't then they need to shut their mouth and respect it. The fact that your boyfriend lets his parent determine what his future career will be, how he leads his life, and whom he will marry just for some cash makes him a pathetic boy. He needs to lead his own life and break out and be a man.

What Guys Said 7

• If they had concerns I'd listen but at the end of the day it would be MY decision NOT THEIRS.

• Yes of course my parents don't like the girl that's it she's not going to marry me

• If I couldn't see why they dislike her I would question them. But if I saw the issues I'd take them into account.

• No. That doesn't mean I wouldn't consider things they may want to tell me and let me know. But it's ultimately up to me if I choose to marry such woman.

• I would take their advice and opinions seriously but if I was 100% sure she is the one I probably would marry her anyway^^

• I am going to ask for her fathers blessing.

• Yes... I think parental advice, consultation etc. is necessary...

What Girls Said 5

• In the end it's my decision who I marry. If my parents did that I would basically be turning down money in exchange of love. Sounds reasonable to me, but also I would want to hear a good reason why my parents would dislike my bf that much.

Maybe what they mean by that is that any bimbo that sniffs his cash won't be able to put her dirty hands on it.

• Wow, I'd be pissed off if my parents made a marriage veto right on my trust fund (LoL, hypothetically speaking). I would not be okay with that. I don't mind them telling me how they feel, but in the end it's my decision. I will marry who I want.

• If my parents object my selection of partner, I like to hear what their concerns are. If it is because he isn't rich or he is educated or race I won't buy it.

• I'm happy with who I'm happy with. They don't like it, they don't have to love him.

• They can tell me their opinion on the guy but they will have no say if I marry him or not.