Guys, would you ever marry a girl your mom didn't like?

Or didn't approve of, at all?

Girls, would you do the same for a guy?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends why she didn't like her. Sometimes we can be blinded by the things we tell ourselves. Take outside observations, process them and then make decisions. Doesn't mean they're right, but at least look at them.

• I think sometimes it's not about right or wrong, it's about reality.

You'd have to constantly face your mom for years, and she'll resent you for it; why invite that kind of trouble in your life?

• My mom could be totally wrong, but I'd have to explain/talk to her about why. But yes, you're right. I'm just causing grief/stress by MARRYING (big commitment) someone she doesn't like.

What Guys Said 14

• My parents have no stake in my life whatsoever. Their opinions and aspirations of me mean nothing, that includes my choice in women.

• If my mom didn't like her, I know I met the right girl!

• I would take the time to think on why my mom didn't like her, but at the end of the day it's my decision and my mom would just have to get on board with it.

In reality though, my mom would love any girl that I'd ever propose to.

• Yeah... I think I would.

And I see the objections you're posting. My parents harbor a deep pathological distrust for anyone from the Middle East, to the extent that they won't consider vacationing in mainland Europe after the Charlie Hebdo thing because they're afraid the muslim terrorists will get them.

The woman I'm currently seeing is Syrian.

Am I to bow to irrational and, frankly, racist objections on their part?

• Yes i would marry someone my mom did not like. If I loved the woman, it is more important that I like and I love the person than if my mom does.

• If I wanted to marry her in the first place, then I'm pretty sure that I already love her enough to tell my mom to go to hell.

• My mom hates all females that show interest in me. So yeah

• Yep, but honestly if she didn't like her than I probably wouldn't either.

• It would certainly create serious doubt.

• I wouldn't care what my mom thought.

• It wouldn't concern me. Even though my mother is a good judge of character I know what I want.

• Yeah, I'd be with a girl my mother didn't like. But there's no way in hell I'm getting married.

• Definitely

• Seriously?

Your mother's brought you up, why would you hurt a woman you've loved your whole life, for a woman you've just come to love?

• Ah, I guess that's fair.

But isn't there some loyalty there towards her too? Kind of like she knew you way before the other potential woman did?

• she's fed and sheltered me even though she didn't want to, im grateful for that. i'd help her out if she's ever in a bind to repay her. but i wouldn't ditch the woman i love just because she didn't approve

• If she's what I wanted then yeah.

• Really? Knowing that marrying her would damage your relationship with your mother forever?

• It wouldn't damage our relationship. My mom is not a petty bitch, she easily forgives, she is a very warm person, and she needs her family. She is very emotionally dependent on the people close to her. Realistically she wouldn't ever stand between me and what I want in life. If she did for whatever reason she wouldn't put up that strong of a fight and would apologize after I iced her out. Yes I would cut her off for fucking with me on something as important as that and it would hurt her enough for her to know she fucked up.

What Girls Said 5

• It would depend on why my mom (or dad) didn't like him. I would definitely consider their opinions on him, but most likely I would still marry him.

• You don't feel afraid that somewhere along the way if things don't work out, you'll be nowhere.

Parents will resent you, and husbandless too?

• I think it largely depends on why they don't like him. If it's over something stupid like he didn't go to university, or he doesn't make six figures a year or something, I can overlook that. But if they really think he has bad character and they help me to see it (like they're just looking out for me), I'd be more hesitant to move forward with the relationship.

• If my mum offers me a good reason why i shouldn't be with him.
    Example his characters, then I would think hard

• That's the way I'd see it too.

Plus I'd think that IF something happened between me and the guy, my mom can say, "I told you so."

That would be the worst.

• yes, I would. as long as he shows my family respect I don't give a damn what they think of him.

• I would because Its most likely I know him better than my mother

• What are the reasons for not liking her? That's inportant

• She doesn't think the girl is educated enough, or she just doesn't like her, or she just thinks she can't see her being a part of the family, and it's either her or the girl