If truly falling in love only happens once, why do so many people get divorced?

Now a days the word "love" is thrown around like it means nothing, it's loosing its value.

And if people who get married claim to be in "love" and claim to be so "happy" that they found their partner for life, and say that marraige will only happen once for them, why do these people get divorced?

I'm not saying all.. But most mairages end in divorce.

Does that mean that it actually wasn't true love? Because true love lasts forever in my opinon.

Most Helpful Guy

• People fall in love with the idea of love, and forget that loving the person is what stands the test of time.

For example, take a single woman worried about her biological clock. Already there's a driving force behind her actions that has nothing to do with love. Now, she's an Ivy League graduate and touts herself as ambitious, and she settles for nothing less than a guy with an Ivy League education or better. Again, what's love got anything to do with that? She likes deep voices, a chiseled jawline, a well-tailored suit, and a never-receding hairline. She may love these features, but she still hasn't addressed the issue of love. Does she love the man, or does she love what the man represents? Does she love the idea of marrying his social stature or does she love the idea of being cast away on an island with only each other? He just has to be a half-way decent human being and he makes the cut. He makes her parents proud and her friends envious. That's it. That's what we call love.

Other major variables are timing and placement. He or she was there first. He or she wasn't necessarily the best fit for you, but when you scheduled this class on this day, you two met. If you chose another day, you wouldn't have met. If you didn't work that part-time job, you wouldn't have met. If you weren't born into that religious household, you wouldn't have met through Church.

My parents are an example. My mom was a foreigner that wanted to marry up. My dad was an Accountant, a white American man with zero charisma. Their marriage was a farce and all I witnessed was her disdain for him and his reluctance to give.

Finding real love is hard. Yes one can argue real love doesn't exist, but that's because they aren't willing to do what it takes to find it. You can wait forever for that rare person to enter your life, or perhaps you missed him or her a long time ago.

What Guys Said 8

• Western Marriage is failing. The wisest people in the world think that its because of the women and how they are conditioned. Men are still the same men 200+ years ago. Watching tv for men today is the same as playing poker and gambling 200+ years ago.

But back to what you were asking. You create love, you don't find it. Of course what you create doesn't last forever so it needs to be rekindled every now and then.

The true definition of marriage today is not the union of love. But its life's last and hardest test, to see how both of you will last to whatever bs life throws at ya.

• Because truly falling in love doesn't happen just once, and doesn't always last forever.

It's not that love is thrown around too much. Love is amazing and magical. But it's not quite as powerfully amazing and powerful as people say it is in stories.

That scares people. They want to believe that what they have is guaranteed to last. That's not how life works.

• Who says you can only fall in love once?

• The emotion "true love" never existed. So, people found better values to fill in the gap, values like "commitment". Then, people started searching for "true love" and they stopping doing anything about commitment. When they found love, it lasted shorter than a lifetime and they got divorced. Because they never understood that marriage is about commitment, it's about "for better, for worse" and not about "for love".

• True Love only exists for the ones who's found actual Salvation with their minds, their heart & their soul.

think about a negative person being around a full-time positive outgoing person. If Speaking long term years of marriage. ( more than 10 less than 25 )

Opposites "Always" Attract, so, + and a - equals a couple.

Divorces "Most of the time" occurs, so, - plus - equals -

I agree, that four letter word " Love " is always thrown around because,
    No body knows what anyone wants,
    and some just want to play " their lil' game".

I Like games, but I'd always keep in mind I'm playing with someone's heart.
    a relationship is supposed to be enjoyable, no matter how "unique" it turns out to be. You always gotta have fun, but mind your woman when she WANTS to speak her mind.

-DMM
    Happy Reading Loves, xoxoxo. Great Topic ! Short & Sweet & Spiced up by GaGers ! hahahaha <3.

• who ever told you it only happens once is a liar or has no life experience whatsoever... it´s up to you not to use it easily we can´t stop others from being stupid but we can not be stupid ourselfes.

you can only tell in hindsight if it "was" true love or not. it´s impossible to tell before.

• because it doesn't last 4 ever

• As i read once a article there was said that people often confuse passion with love. Passion lasts only for some time and while you think you love that person, later that "love" starts fading away. Love (or true love), on the other hand, never fades away. You always want to be with your SO and see him/her smile and laugh everyday. So yeah, that's basically my opinion why so many people divorce. But, of course, I could be wrong so it's up to you whether to believe this or not.

What Girls Said 7

• I think true love and in love are very different but you will never know the difference until you experience the true love... So I think I have found my true love but it is very plausible that I am in love and therefore think it is true love because I haven't met my true love to know that he isn't... Hopefully that makes sense... I do believe in true love though... I think everyone is born with a soulmate in mind it is just hard to find them... I like the greekmythology story about how a long long time ago men and women were born as one person... two heads 4 legs 4 arms all that stuff but the gods found them too powerful and separated them... spending the rest of their lives to look for their soulmates.

• They say love happens once, but that doesn't mean it lasts for ever. Love is just an emotion a feeling, and feelings change or go away.
    Also I love when people use love carelessly. And do you many to know who, because I've never seen the world become a worse place because of love. So use love carelessly, tho wit around love as much as your heart can an hold onto it as long as you can.
    Love that cake, love that puppy, love those people, live those children. Because it's a lot better than you hating that cake, hating those puppies, hating those people, and hating those children. Love is lie it's not measurable and to say one is greater than another is disrespectful. We all feel differently and to some of us it's minuscule and to others its greater than the ocean. So yeah it may seem shallow and whimsical but in reality it was deep but unfortunately fleeting.
    So always love even if that means loving carelessly

• people change due to circumstances. Life gets boring. They don't always remain the same. I guess people don't want to admit they got lazy and stagnant.

• As much as I want to.. I don't really believe in the concept of true love.
    Even if it does exist must be too rare cuz iv never witnessed it

• because people get married and then they sit back and expect things to go on like usual without them doing anything. people stop putting effort into relationships or marriages over all.

• Generally when people get married, I think they do it with the best intentions. But sometimes what you thought you had with someone can get ruined, or the feelings you had for your partner get lost along the way. Getting a divorce isn't as black and white as you think it to be. It's a painful situation that's usually a lot more complex than love conquering all.

• Because you both grow and change over time and if you don't grow together, you grow apart. What you wanted at 20 is very different from what you want at 25...30 etc