What do you think of marrying a Random person and live with him/her for the rest of your life?

I ask this question because its our culture of marrying a random person , who is picked by our parent in, India its called Arranged Marriage and live with him/her for your rest of life. That person is completely random who you never talked, dated, met, Had any relationship or anything. Whats your personal opinion on this concept of marriage.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think they have a lot better chance of survival than the "true love" concept of more western cultures. It is always easier to make more appropriate decisions when emotions are not involved thus when you agree to marry the person the decision is based upon logical factors. This helps ensure you are picking a more appropriate match. It is also quite easy to fall in love with your partner over some time so really arranged marriage has the best of both worlds. And honestly this was the popular practice for most cultures until only recently. I'm pretty sure the concept of love marriages was born with Hollywood and Disney.

I may be a little bias though since this is how I'm getting married this year. I am in no way from a culture where this is the norm, and my parents are not involved. I have a friend that said his cousin is ready to be married and thinks we'd be a good match because of our alike careers, goals, and values. I was intrigued by what I heard. So I sat down with the man's parents, he, and my friend who took on then roll of my parent. We talked it out, they agreed to the match and I agreed to the match and here I am. We are getting married in April and are just starting to get to know each other. I don't love him yet but he's a good man and I enjoy him. I'm very happy with the match so far.

• Thanks for sharing your different perspective of opinion for my question and i wish you a HAPPY Married Life :)

• Thank you! I just realized my first exposure to arrange marriage was when Apu from the Simpsons found out he was to be married from an arrangement that was made as a kid. (The origin airing of the episode) It intrigued me then and I thought that would be really cool. I'm not so shocked I ended up in a similar situation lol.

• thats cool even tv shows educate people with real life scenarios.

What Girls Said 10

• Uhhh no. I couldn't do it, I'd probably start out with some resentment because I don't like being forced into things. Id like to have my own choice and own opinion on who I'm going to marry. But that may just be because I live in a country where we have that choice and maybe if I were raised in a different culture with those rules id probably view it as normal. I may not exactly like it still because I'm a hopeless romantic and I want to fall in love with someone and be asked to marry them. If I'm going to be with them for the rest of my life I feel I should love , know and be comfortable with them. I could be forced to marry someone I'd hate and in that case there's a pretty good chance I'd run away. But that's just me.

• I definitely understand your point of view , but if you have no choice and married that person and had kids, for the sake of kids if you have to live with him forever will you do it?

• No problem. Probably not what you wanted to hear but it's my honest feeling. However, it could still work out well for you :)

• I think every person's point of view are important , its always how you see it thats all..

• Nowadays, I think it is highly unnecessary and wrong. You should be able to pick who you want to marry or at least go on a date with him/her before marriage. You only have a limited time on this earth, you should spend it with someone you want to be with.

• i know what you mean but what you really think of marrying a random person and getting to know him/her , then fall in love and have kids to happily live forever.

• Then that's good

• fuck nope!!! i know about the exsitence of arrange marriage and its existent in my country too in some cultures... but i'm against this

• it's interesting, but I'll pass. I'd rather be in love with the person I choose to spend the rest of my life with.

• Nope because what if I'm so unhappy then I would be so screwed as that would be years I'll never get back.

Besides, marriage isn't even my priority.

• I dont think arranged marriages are that bad when the people agree on doing it.
    Im sure you can learn to love the other person.

• I think this should be really abolished. This brings more bad things than good ones in my opinion. I don't belive people can live a happy life if they are forced to live it with somebody they have maybe nothing in common with. For me this is really obsolete. I mean we live in the 21st century. So many things have already evolved and I don't get it why this shouldn't evolve too.

• Not a very good idea.. What if they turned out to be a serial killer😱😱

• In our country couples adjust each other and try to live forever even that is tough for the sake of their kids.

• @Lady7
      Evaluate the possibility that a girl falls in love with a guy who turns out to be a serial killer vs. the possibility that her parents know the parents of a guy who turns out to be a serial killer and marry them.
      Success!

• How about no.

• As long as he is hot, sure.

What Guys Said 4

• On one hand:
    I'm against arranged marriages because they ignore the free will of the persons who marry. And people just have preferences about what's important in a partner. Moreover from what I read women's rights aren't really respected all the time in India. The dowry remains unofficially in use and I read horror stories.
    On the other hand:
    The persons aren't randomly picked. The parents probably have some minimal qualities and ideal in mind when they chose. Few parents will not want the best for their children. It's those few who worry me: the ones choosing in function of their own interests rather than in function of the happiness of their children. (again, that dowry..)

PERSONALLY, I know that my parents didn't approve of my choice when I presented them my wife. My father said it rather brutally but he kept it at words. my mother was more devious about it, even 30 years later.

My mother in law was 100% OK with it, my father in law remained suspicious until we married.

Thus our parents wouldn't certainly have chosen us as marriage partners.
    But we're happy together since 1967. TRUE!

Conclusion: I'm AGAINST arranged marriages but they CAN succeed.

• And I witnessed many 'love' marriages fail miserably, some from very close by, others from a distance.

Conclusion: life remains a gamble: we're the ball on some pinball game nobody is playing with but that shaken in an Earth quake. In which hole will we end?

• We're all random people until we get to know the person.

• what if you have to marry that random person dude , are you willing to do it?

• I'd only go home to sleep. F that!

• thats sad but its the only good way

• neither random nor someone i know very well :-P

(f*ck marriage)

• I would really love an arranged marriage because I can't get a girl on my own.