I'm thinking of taking my fiancées name?

After a long consideration of things. I've been thinking of taking my finances name for when we get married. She of course; wouldn't mind one bit she said.
The reason I want to take her name. Is not only because her first and my last name don't mix mesh well at all, but because of my families past. My last name has haunted me on occasion. Due to the tension between my parents as I am technically a bastard child. Ended up with my fathers last name after my parents struggled in court, and just felt as if that name was never truly meant for me.
Of course; I thought about legally taking my mothers last name, but by the time I was old enough to change my name. My father, and I had rekindled our relationship, but deep down inside... I just still don't feel as if my last name is for me.

So, with this I have a few questions. Is my reasoning legitimate enough? Is it really a big deal for a man to take his wife's name? Has anyone here done it, and how did it go?

I understand that my decision is my own, and my fiancées and I'll back it up 100%, but I'm just a little nervous about it.

Most Helpful Guy

• You can take any name that you want.

What Girls Said 3

• Do whatever makes you happy. I've never understood all the emphasis people put on last names. It's something you had no control over, you were born into it, it's not some accomplishment that you earned, who cares one way or another or who takes who's name.

• I honestly don't see why it's any different from a woman taking your name :)

• Talk to her about it

What Guys Said 3

• Haha this has to be the funniest shit I have heard, imagine the looks of people not that they matter but you risk losing respect in the long term and it sounds WEAK & PATHETIC! She will dump you soon, you will see, good luck o the divorce.

• So you're stating that because I have genitals inbetween my legs that dangle. Makes me much superior than my spouse? Your logic is unruling, and has no depiction of logic.
      As for the dumping, and divorce. This was originally her idea as to knowing how much I despise my last name. So your thinking in that regard is highly off.
      I'm pretty sure you're just trolling, and I find it sad that you call yourself a man for making such a bold statement about weakness in regardes to marriage. I'm assuming you like beating up women, and playing them. Just to show your male dominance huh? That wouldn't make you look weak one bit, right?

• Wow, how insensitive could someone possibly get? The owner of this o[pinion here is your answer! This man here is doing something which hardly anyone does (taking his fiance's last name), and you're already talking about a divorce!

• Well, I wish you well on your impending doom; your existence as one of a male seems irrelevant and unclothed.

• Yeah man do it society has so many stupid weird rules and this is one of them it seems like this is the case in every country why is that the woman has to take her husband's last name? And there is no real against it at least not here in America.

• It's fine. I actually plan to do the same, although simply because my last name is feakishly generic and bland.