How young is too young to get married?

Some of my friends (ages 16-18) are getting engaged and married. My parents think they're too young. They think age doesn't matter as long as you're in love. I was wondering what other people's opinions would be.

By "they" in the 3rd sentence I mean my friends.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah 16 and 18 are way too young. Because they're still maturing and their minds can change about love. And they would want to experience the life of being young and free and going out to clubs, and hooking up with people at parties and things like that. If they're getting married now they won't be able to have that experience and could most likely lie about it and end up cheating. I think young people shouldn't settle down so soon. I think they should keep their options open, because it's most likely they would change their minds

What Guys Said 10

• I don't know. You find happy couples who got married in their 20's and unhappy couples who got married in their 40's and everything in between. I saw once you're an adult, go for it. Whose to say what does or doesn't work

• anything under 25 in my opinion

• That seems way to young. I don't know anyone that age getting married because it's crazy.

• I'd say under 25 (that's the age at which the brain is fully developed).

• I think marriage is good when someone is ready for it and can handle it.

• i guess 25 is an ok age if both your partner and you have good jobs and seatteled down allready.

• In my opinion, any age under 30-35

• under 25 I wouldn`t recommend it because you haven`t experienced life enough

• Anything below 20 is too young to get married.

• it always depends. I would say under 20 is defenitly too young.

But im 20, and my GF 25, and maybe in 1-2-3 year, if things keep going well, we will marry.

It depends on your maturity. And unfortunatly, my stuidies won't be finish before 6 more years, but she finished.

Its not that ideal, since I will still be in university, but on the bright side, my studies will cost tons and tons less if we are married :D

What Girls Said 11

• Many factors play a role. If I had to give a number I'd say under 20. But I have a crazy number of friends who married under 20 and are happily married.

• 25 and under is way too young to be vowing to be someone's life partner.
    Before the age of 18, you don't haven't even entirely discovered all that you are. Life still has a handful of tests and experiences for you to learn and grow from. Getting married is just going to close doors of opportunity and repel those experiences because you have now vowed to commit a majority of your time to one other human being.

• 21 or younger is way too young. It's a good idea to finish college first, I think, and to have a decent job that allows you to take care of yourselves without help from family.

• I would say when the couple is financially independent.

• I was 18 when I was married. It was the worst mistake of my life. I was too young, and wasn't up for the task of being a wife. I filed for divorce 6 months after we were married. By the time I was 19 I was divorced. I'm now 22 and engaged but I don't feel I will be getting married again before the age of 25.

• Under 18 is too young to marry, but I don't see anything wrong with getting engaged IF you know they are the person you wanna spend your life with

• I think your too young f you don't know yourself or love love yourself

• I think 18 is just fine... I know a bunch of people who got married at 18...

• I would say any age under 24.. Your friends are way too young to get married, and being "in love" is not everything.

• I think anybody under the age of 18 is too young to get married. Hell, I straight up told my grandmother she was too young, she got married to my grandfather when she 14 and he was 18.

• 18 or 19 would be the earliest in my opinion