What do you think about the husband taking the wife's last name?

I think the girl taking the boy's last name is not for me. My husband will take my last name or I won't be marrying that person.

My children will also take my name. My name will be the family name.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that no one should take the last name of no one if this person doesn't want to, no matter if it's a man or a woman. It's a choice and actually I don't think it's a big deal.

• Thanks for your comment I agree

What Guys Said 21

• I'm not really keen on marraige but hypothetically I wouldn't mind taking her name DEPENDING on what her last name is. I'd just make the decision based on who has the cooler sounding last name :)

• Thanks for your comment :) I think that's cool too but I really want to keep mine so I just made my decision already

• You might feel differently when you get older and find yourself in love.

• It's a possibility but i don't think so

• There's actually an advantage for each to keep their family (maiden) names. When it comes to class reunions 10, 20, and 30+ years from now, it's difficult to locate someone when all you remember is their name in the HS yearbook.

• the best thing is each other to keep their own last names in my opinion

• Sure. No big deal

• That's weird. Me being traditional, I would like the girl to take my last name. She doesn't have to though.

• I plan to do it myself. My last name is freakishly generic and boring.

• Beta as fuck.

• Personally, I grew up in a household where my mother kept her last name. Based on that I actually kinda expect my future wife to do the same, unless she really wants to change it for some reason.

I'd unfortunately have to insist on the kids taking my last name though. If they didn't have my name, I'd honestly feel like they weren't my kids. Assuming she carried them in her womb for 9 months, she (assumingly) won't have that problem.

• A name is just a name so I don't really care either way. Out of all the things that matter in this world why do bames make that list?

• Out of all the things that don't matter why are you paying attention to this one?

• Also, *is* partially topic about gender inequality. Even if you argue that it's in a remote way it still is and anyway maybe we just don't care about the same things. You're acting like such important topics get discussed on this site so often that my question is just completely out of place.

• Well because I was genuinely curious why people care who takes whose name. I wasn't making a snide remark or anything. I don't think this issue isn't important you just made that assumption based on my question. I agree that it can probably be a gender issue because traditionally the woman took the man's last name.

• I won't take a girl who is like this. I can discuss this and I can choose to take her name but if it's not even debatable, then she's too stubborn and not open enough in my opinion.

• Yeah well you're right about the stubborn part but I consider myself an open person

• but knowing that it doesn't exactly sit well because I've always been stubborn and kind of a rebel against boys saying they were stronger or dominant just because of their gender and looking at that it just makes me mad to know htat people already decided for me or said that I was weaker or should submit even when i was an unknowing kid

• Well they are physically stronger. Nothing wrong about that, women have other qualities. But I see that you are only stubborn on the surface and are not so rebellious that you forget about what love should be ;)

• I'm not doing it

• Yeah i have no problem taking a girls last name

• I dont get it why this must happen. Mr and Mrs Brown for example.
    in my country it is Mr Brown and Mrs Black. Why do you still keep such a tradition?

• i don't know i haven't thought about that. but its kind of like a family name. i want mine to be the family name if we need to have a family name. i don't want to take anyone else's and i want my kid to take mine too

• In my country the hild takes the husbands last name but not the wife too. Its your family and your kid. No traditions will tell you what to do. But you got to get in an agreement with your husband.
      aren't you a bit young to think about that lol?

• yeah well my kid is taking my last name. if it really doesn't matter then he won't care. also yeah i guess but i think about a lot of stuff like this lol

• I'm not doing it she can hyphenate it if she wants

Or if she is the only one with that name I'll give one of our sons her name

• Cool for u I think but u should listen if she thinks differently but If she fine that's cool for u. Me personally my husband an my children will take my name

• Nope its nothing to listen about cuz I want them to have my name so if she wants to have her own or whatever we just won't be working out

• oh that's the same for me.

• I'd never do it.

• I'd do it for my wife.

• I think it weird. I would never take somebody else's name. I'm fine with her taking my name or us both keep our own names

• thats not traditional. if she wants to keep her last name ok. but im not changing mine

• I don't really care about tradition so much not saying that it's not okay for you too though. Cool that you're fine with her keeping hers

• I don't know I probably wouldn't but I can't really say because I haven't met the girl I would do it for yet

• Oh cool

• It's chill either way.

• Im keeping my last name. I understand if a girl won't take my last name.

• If she's got a cool last name, hell yeah. Otherwise, I don't really care. This traditional vs. new age bullshit is for jokers, alongside marriage anyway lol

What Girls Said 12

• Well, in this century lots of men take the last name of their wives. It's fine.
    Although I must admit, I took my husband's. I didn't want to have my dad's last name anymore, as we are no longer in touch with eachother over serious issues. Besides, my husband's last name was a lot prettier and I always imagined I would take the last name of my husband if I got married when I was a kid.

• I would do what both of us agree on.

I see nothing wrong with a husband taking the wife's last name as long as she's not forcing him too. Hell, I don't even care if both man and woman get married and keep their own last names. It's their marriage and their own decision.

• I don't think it matters. You should take the last name of who you want. So yes a husband can take the last name of his wife if he chooses. I personally would take the guys last name cause I really wanna get rid of my last name. I've been thinking of changing it for a while anyways lol. But I've also seen couples who have different last names and neither changed or took each others last name, they just stuck to their own last name

• That's a cool view and thanks for telling me that I don't know anyone who has done so :)

• I'm traditional plus I dislike my last name haha, so I'll gladly be taking my husband's! If you wanna do the other way around, more power to you. The only thing that sorta gets on my nerves is when people hyphenate their children's last names, haha.

• Haha yeah my kids taking my name only

• I like this, its different. If I were a guy and the girl I loved wanted this then I would do that and anything else she wanted.

• Personally I'm pro-hyphenating... So you can have both last names...

BUT I hate my last name because it belongs to my scumbag birth father so I'll be happy to get rid of it.

• I would keep my maiden name and hyphenate it. My mom did that and my dad doesn't mind one bit! For example the lady's name is Andrea Smith. She marries Jonathon Evans and now her name is Andrea Smith-Evans.

• Taking my husband's name would solidify my dedication & belonging to him. Nothing else would I want to compromise that. Plus, I simply find it weird to have him take mine. :/

• I think nothing of it.

• um.. ok?

• Meaning, I don't mind it. I don't care. I don't think there's anything wrong with it and it doesn't faze me at all. Why the confused comment lol?

• oh ok. bc i didn't understand now i do

• I would be honored to take his name

• Sounds good and i'd bet a guy that got someone like you would be honored to take yours as well!

• I knew what you were trying to say girlie but thank you for clarifying. 😊😊😊😊😊😊

• Haha I'm glad and no probs ^_^

• Isn't it hypocritical for you to say they have to take your last name as well?

• no? i never said it was wrong for girls to take boys last name who am i being hypocritical? i said it wasn't fro me and the person i marry will definitely take mine. thats or me. i was simply asking others opinion for them

• how*

• You're right, I misunderstood the question. I guess my issue was with the statement that someone "will" have to change their name or "I won't be marrying that person". I don't think it should be a requirement of the other person to change their name, male or female in order to marry someone.

• To each her own. I took my husband's name because it is right for me.