How would you feel if your partner asked you to sign a prenuptial agreement?

If you're marrying someone worth a couple of million or more and you're not, would you understand or would you feel not trusted etc? Men and Women both ways.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd feel hurt if he asked me to sign one. Since I don't believe in divorce, that must mean he's the one who someday sees us potentially breaking up. If I'm marrying someone, it's because I see us growing old together and I can't imagine a future other than that. Again, I'd feel hurt that he sees the possibility of a different future. It'd be something we'd have to have a long talk over before I'd consider signing.

The only way I'd ever consider divorce is if he's abusive or he's unfaithful. Anything else is, in my opinion, not a good enough reason to go back on my vows. I take care of seniors for a living, so I KNOW it's possible to be happy together for 50+ years. I've seen it and it's beautiful, and I want it.

But now I'm rambling, haha. Anyway, if I marry my current boyfriend, which I hope I do, I won't have to worry about any of this since we're both poor. :P

• Haha true, this question would really only come up if one person in the relationship made a lot more money than the other person.

• Oh oops! Didn't read that part of the question hahaha. If I was marrying a celebrity or a CEO or something, I think I'd be more understanding. Multi millionaires are probably used to people using them for their money.

• It's a bit like life insurance i suppose. No one expects to die in an accident but in the unlikely event that does happen , at least things will be in order.

What Girls Said 12

• I would sign it with no problem. I wouldn't want him going into a marriage thinking Im there for his money. Plus it would not mean anything since I will never get a divorce.

• I can totally understand why he would think it's a good idea, considering how many callous money grubbing women are out there.

But I would hope that our relationship would not be about money and he would trust me enough not to fuck him over that the idea of a prenup wouldn't even arise.

If today I won a million pounds in the lottery, the idea of a prenup with my boyfriend wouldn't even cross my mind. I would believe immediately that WE'RE rich and the money is OURS, not just mine.

• If only every relationship was like that I'd agree. And the money grubbing goes for men as well as women too these days unfortunately.

• I'm personally not into the idea of marriage, so this issue will most likely never come up for us.

The only reason I see for getting married is for me to get British citizenship, just in case UK leaves the EU before I can apply for citizenship the standard way. My EU passport allows me to work and live in the UK. After 2 more years I can apply for citizenship, but if UK exists, I may have to leave the country and work on getting a visa or something.
      So we wouldn't even have a ceremony, just quickly pop into the registry office and be done with it, lol.

• If I'm going to marry someone, it's going to be for love, not for their dollars. Sure, having nice things is, well, nice, but I much prefer the prospect of feeling loved by the man I marry. I don't feel loved by having all his money to myself.

I'd sign a prenupt because I'm a decent human being. I'm not a femi-nazi, and nor do I feel entitled to half of anything. What's mine is mine, and what's his is his. Women and men who don't abide by this are fucked in the head and don't deserve anyone who's offering their life and ring finger to them.

• It certain cases I fully support the 50/50 such a two people staring a business together etc and for me it goes for men and women now. Halle Berry is a good example of this for the woman perspective of protecting assets.

• Of course, splitting something 50/50 is a good way to go when you're names are both on that something. But asking for 50% of his money, when you didn't earn a cent of it, is the problem with a lot of marriages these days. Especially marriages where one person has much more money than the other.

• I wouldn't mind honestly I mean at least he's being smart and thinking about the possibilities. I mean you marry someone because you love them but sometimes things happen down the road that dont work out. It doesn't mean that they dont love you or dont have hope in the marriage. I won't lie some people are fucked up and do it for stupid reasons but if you have a loyal partner you shouldn't worry much about that. It's just being smart. Me, i honestly wouldn't ask for a prenuptial agreement, but if we both decide on it i wouldn't mind. It all depends, I'm still young and dont know much about that right now but maybe i'll think differently when u'm actually in the situation I don't know.

• I'd have no problem with that. I got a prenup and while I don't want to think about my marriage ending, we want to leave with what we came with and split everything else if it ever comes to that.

• How would you feel if your partner asked you to sign a prenuptial agreement?
    Amused the same way I hopefully imagine he'd feel to taking a lie detector test and one everyday after about whether he raped somebody as I think he could be a rapist.

If you're marrying someone worth a couple of million or more and you're not, would you understand or would you feel not trusted etc?
    I'd understand he doesn't trust me and wants to insure and is planning for the end of the relationship.

• I can see your point but what about the partner protecting his/her interests if the relationship doesn't work out for a number of issues. Anyways its not like a partner can railroad a crazy prenup down somebody's throat since it'll be looked over by lawyers and signed by both parties.

• I already answered about the partner protecting his/her interests if the relationship doesn't work out for a number of issues: "I'd understand he doesn't trust me and wants to insure and is planning for the end of the relationship."

• I would do it just to avoid problems down the road. You always want to be safe.

• No thanks... i wouldn't sign it... i know i'm a trust-worthy person who is responsible with money, that is weird too... like... where is even making money? and what is the small print or hidden agendas of the contract? id be more concerned about what would happen to me if i did, from there id be super creeped out.

• Can you explain that second line a little more?

• Well hopefully you would have several rounds of talks and negotiations with lawyers before the two parties signed off on it. These contracts have to be fair although not 50/50 its not like the poorer person in the relationship would be on the streets and destitute. By the time you're ready for marriage I'm sure you can verify where your spouse gets his/her income from.

• I've never been with anyone seriously but id never like to share my bank account with someone, it's too risky these days with people walking off from people day and night, cheating or just being impaitent lol i decided this a while ago i never want that to happen, we will just set up anotehr account, take out some of our money to pay for all the food and get your bank to put money into your savings account once a week from each of our wages which will be used to pay for bills, that way whatevers left of our wage after putting in money for the bills and the food is ours we get to spend :P lol, that actually seems a whole lot fairer to me.

• In the back of my mind I'd wonder if they didn't completely trust me. Pre-nups to me seem like the person isn't thinking you're going to last and who want's to go into a marriage with the mindset that it might end.

• Because I have a trust fund that's mostly in stocks, I wouldn't get married without one.

I will say this though: I wouldn't sign one without a fidelity clause.

• I wouldn't mind in general but it depends on what's in it exactly.

Also very few states even consider wealth acquired before the marriage in divorce proceedings

• To be honest, i'd take it as an opportunity to advocate not getting married at all.

• Why, because of trust?

• Yeah, totally agree craigwilson! Some people don't though, but that's rare. I think it's best not to rush into marriage, after all it really is just a piece of paper.

• Ok, I completely get where you're coming from and agree that too many people get married too quickly these days.

What Guys Said 8

• It's only smart to do. People who reject it have ulterior motives, and they are greedy; their argument is that they are jinxing the marriage. However, are you jinxing your car or house when you get car or house insurance? No, it's not. You get it because things happen. Part of marriage is business.

• Not sure how I'd marry a woman that rich in the first place.

In any case, I'd make sure she understood the marriage I had proposed was meant to be perminent, and in the event she had expected it to be temporary, I'd ask her to reconsider the marriage before commiting to it.

• I'd be perfectly okay with it because I would do the same thing if the roles were reversed.

• the only reason to get offended about it is if you're planning on screwing them out of their house and money

• i'd findit weird tbh

• I'll be the only one asking for a prenup. Women will NEVER because marriage is a retirement plan for them and a way to enslave men.

• Women love you--Until they don't. Then they don't give a fuck if you get screwed in court and go homeless as she takes your money and your home.

If she won't sign a prenup, I sincerely doubt her "love" and I'll break up with her.

Going into a business without contracts is stupid. Marriage is no different. Women may have the luxury of not having to be cautious since they have social safety nets and family courts are in their favor, but men have to be realistic.

• @snowangle

@emmabee11 You might consider yourself trustworthy--but how is HE supposed to know that? A lot of business people say they're trustworthy too and that no signed contract or agreement is necessary--guess who benefits when the deal goes sour...

@JumpThenFall With the divorce rate at 50% and filed by women 67% of the time, you're damn right we're preparing for the idea that it won't work out. Only a fool doesn't. That doesn't mean we aren't hoping that it will work, because we *would* like it too.

• Considering the nature of women today and the female bias of our legal system, a man would be insane to get married without a prenup.