Guys (and Girls), what does he mean by this? :"I don't want to marry you now, but I want to in the future."?

He says he doesn't want to marry me now but he does in the future. I'm so confused. What is he expecting to be different in the future that would make him want to marry me then? Is he expecting some kind of change in the relationship? I thought that if someone says they want to marry a person, it means they'd marry that person exactly how they were. I'm scared he's just blowing hot air...

Most Helpful Guy

• Ok, this is simple.
    What he said-"I don't want to marry you now, but I do in the future"

What he means-"I don't want to marry you now, but I do in the future"

Simple, huh?

The thing is that HE may be going through stuff mentally, physically, spiritually, or emotionally that makes HIM not want to put more pressure on HIS own life at the moment. Doesn't mean he doesn't love you. He may not be ready for marriage.

What Guys Said 8

• He is trying to find stability in his life and right now he can't see himself as responsible enough to take up such a big commitment

• That's a diplomatic statement.
    I think he wants to keep you as a side-piece.
    If you think that his behavior is somewhat suspicious (Cheating) , Tell him to be direct instead of beating around the bush.

• It could be that he's just ready for the responsibilities of married life. I don't know how madly in love he is with you, but I am very in love with the girl I've dated since freshman year college but I'm certainly not ready for marriage and won't be for several years. You're young, so there's no need to rush.

• Many people have a kind of vague threshold on how long they should be dating before marriage feels appropriate. I don't see anything wrong with this.

• XD a guy i know said this to break up with his GF because he wanted to explore more. meaning he did love her but wanted to fuck around more.

• It mean he not ready yet. Whether it is because of financially, emotionally, or physically.

• What Makes You Think His Reasons Are About You?
    He May Want To Be More Financially Secure Before Getting Married, He May Have Issues In His Personal Life He Wants To Take Care Of.
    There Maybe Some Very Legitimate Reasons, Instead Of Thinking Negative, Think Positive.
    Whatever His Reasons, He Is Doing It For You, For Your Future.

• Stalling tactics.

What Girls Said 3

• Maybe he feels he's too young to be married... maybe he wants to save for a wedding... lay eggs he dosent want to pressure you... maybe he's letting you know just how much he loves you

• It literally means that he doesn't want to marry you now and that he does in the future. However, I think you should act a little distant to see how he reacts just to make sure he's serious about you.

• My bf said the same I asked him what he meant and he told me that before getting married we both should be financially ok to build a family.