Why do Indian girls get married so young?

I have two friends from India in my classes. One is married and one will be married once she graduates. Both are young, one is 22 and the other is 20. In Western society, it's almost unheard of to be married that young. Like my one friend who's getting married is so excited about the venue and her dress. The one who is married is a stay-at-home wife who cooks and cleans all day. I can't imagine being 22 and not being able to go flirt with guys at a lounge on a Saturday or staying home all day long doing chores. Is this their culture? Why so young?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's cultural thing. Not just girls, guys also get married early. Half of classmates from last year are married now.
    It's really deep matter. There are so many factors, most importantly 'saving face'.
    You know India has casteism. Each caste has different mindsets according to education and background. Like in some castes people fix their child's marriage around age of 1-3. Then official marriage takes place after legal age or around legal age.
    However, most of parents see marriage of girl as fulfilling their duty as parents.
    In this system both guys and girls suffer if things don't go right but mostly girls' situation is more hopeless.

• Sadly... women have less of a say. I believe only men can initiate divorces. Luckily, these two women seem to enjoy the company of these men. The 22 year old says that her and her husband are a good team so I assume it's better for them because it's the U. S. I don't know.

• Yup, 99% of time only men can initiate divorce. However, even that's rare in most of areas (excluding mega cities) couples won't get divorces even if living together is like hell to save their face in society.

That's good for your friends. They won't have much social pressure and will be free to make their own decisions in USA :)

• Yes, plus they're smart enough to be getting an education in the process.

What Guys Said 15

• Why do Indian girls get married so young?
    -The common answer to this is that their families have conservative approach and arranged marriage is considered good here.
    The parents of the girl think that it'd be easier to find a good man for their girl if she's young. The more older she will become the lesser opinion will left.
    However, in urban areas, the parents are now first focus on the job of the girl and then consider marriage (better job, better options) while in rural areas we could also see the cases of child marriage even if it's illegal.
    That's why!

• Makes sense that they'll be focused on work first since it means that they could possibly have a better life financially. These girls seem to have a balance. They are both trying to be college educated. One is actually waiting until after she graduates.

• Yes :)

I am happy/lucky that my parents support love marriage and they oppose such system.

• that happens in US and Canada as well, judging from what i see here basically...

• Is this our culture? Depends all upon the person... involved.. Cause I am 23 and i am no way gonna marry anyone till I am already 28 or so...
    There are many girls who stay single that long too...

But most girls are single are don't really have a proper career so they marry so young... and again because of the societies pressure Or maybe family pressure... And expectations too..
    But again like I said it all depends on the person involved... Not every one marries so young 😊

• From what others have mentioned, I'm now aware that not everyone weds so young. Now, I specifically meant girls, not guys. Good for you for waiting :-)

• Lol just don't wait too late but the best of luck.

• Ya not too late Lol, best of luck to you too...

• If true, more than likely tradition and culture. Very common in India but those whom adapted to a more modern, non class system life style tend to sway away from such a tradition.

A lot of cultures that are not Westernised are still very much "dated" in their ways.

• The culture of arranged marriages, is why she is married so young.

• It's sort of a culture that prevails in a very few parts of our indian society
    My sister is 26 and she's not getting married anytime soon And there are so many around
    And many of us Do not follow the system of arrange marriage as well
    Not all indian girls get married at a young age :)

• I went to a religious American college and everyone there got married from age 19-23. It happens in the U. S. too sometimes

• The real question is: Are they happy?

• That's old, in India some girls are married by the time they are 12.

• That's old by Indian standards, not American standards.

• It's young enough lol. 1 year and 2 days.

• Well ok. It's merely opinion. By many standards, 26 is a decent enough age to wed. Happy one year :-)

• I have an American girl in my class who's 18 and married with a kid. 22 is pretty normal

• Wait.. grammar. Bah whatever

• Don't stereotype asker that's offensive.

• I'm not stereotyping. It's a question.

• it is their culture.

• I have seen 12/ 14 years old Indian girls married by their parents, engaged in the age of 6/7 years... !!

• That's crazy

• Well that type of people are definitely uneducated lower class people... Shish I hate those people!!!😬

• Culture differences

• Indians have got it sorted, even if you're a loser you don't have to worry about finding a wife, your parents handle it for you. lmao

• Yeah but they don't have a chance to date and meet who they like if their parents choose mates for them.

• But you shouldn't marry an Indian girl unless you're Indian. They don't race mix and for them it's considered very bad.

• That's probably true if you're in India, outside of India you've got to find a more progressive Indian family who don't mind their children marrying outside their race. I imagine most would have reservations but not all would disallow it. I've dated an Indian girl, I wouldn't mind dating another one.

• How else will they have more kids than they can support?

• The one who is married has no children yet. Her husband actually makes a lot of money.

• No it isn't nice, but for the families I know, it's accurate.

• That's a terrible stereotype. Most are very intelligent and successful.

What Girls Said 11

• Hmm well, I know quite a few non-Indian people who got married straight out of high school or during/after college, or even have babies... but yeah, I guess generally Indian girls get married in their early to mid 20's.

There's many exceptions, though. My mom got married when she was 30, I think. She was finishing up her doctorate. And it was a love match, not arranged. Would've happened earlier, but her family disapproved because he was a Christian. After seven years of her refusing all other marriage proposals though, they figured she's set on him and just gave in and gave their blessings (which she wasn't going to get married without).

I'm Indian ethnically speaking, but born and raised here so pretty much more in line with the American way of doing things. With influence from Indian culture, though. However, I have a lot of family who live in India, and relatives who've moved stateside. I do think in our circles marriage is kind of just expected at some point. Once you're out of college and have a good job, the comments and pressure from family starts. I've seen it with my cousins.

I'm 21 and still studying, so don't really need to deal with that right now. If I do get married, I won't be staying at home, though. I'm not going through all this work just to not use it lol

• Well we're in nursing school and nurses make good money where we live so I'm sure that she won't be staying in the house forever. I commend them for still wanting an education. Both are very intelligent.

• Yeah, good for them. Education's generally a big deal in Indian culture.

• My 20 year old African friend (born and raised there) just got married. She got a apartment with her 25 year old man. She cooks, cleans, and washes his clothes.
    It's a huge cultural difference.
    (Not saying all African's are like this) but particularly where she is from it is respectable for a woman to get married (lose her virginity to that man).
    The parents have to agree with the man she is marrying before she can go through with it.
    She's an adult.
    As long as these young women are happy... why not?
    Their culture is very different from Americans.
    They are not nearly as fast.

• I'm not judging but the divorce rate is statistically higher for people who marry young.

• Although I didn't get married @ 22.
      I had a kid at 22 (some people say thats too young).
      As long as these women are mentally mature enough it really shouldn't matter.
      Someone could get married at 32 and mentally not be ready.
      To me its less of an age thing and more of a mentally mature thing.

• That's true. I know culture also comes into play but my mom was married at 24, so I guess it isn't that bad.

• It's because they can't have sex before marriage, believe love is more interesting at a young age, and most of the time its arranged so people don't spend 8-10 years trying to find the one for them before settling down.

• Which one do you prefer?

• I'm not sure. I would not want an atheist so I think I'd be better off choosing my partner but its hard to find a partner who is willing to wait until marriage to have sex so I'm not sure which is better.

• Lol I know, both choices have pros and cons. I mean, if people would wait until marraige it'll be better.

• In Qatar girls get engaged at 18-22 and most are married by 24.

A lot of girls usually get married at 21-22 here.

It's the culture and it's also because girls and guys get married young where I live.

My cousin found her man at 15, got engaged at 17, and got married at 18. Now she's 20 and has a son.

• I don't actually consider 24 that young, but I guess it isn't so bad

• It has to do with their culture and traditions. I heard that in India a woman who isn't married is frowned upon.
    And they depend on their husbands.

I can't imagine myself either, but that's their culture. We just have to respect it.

• Well these girls are both trying to become nurses like myself, so I guess they won't actually have to depend on their husbands later on.

• Yeah I guess so

• Not really in major cities like Delhi and Mumbai, it's actually pretty urban there.

• It sucks dude.
    Lots of Indian parents (including my own) place such emphasis on marriage and reputation. Idfk why, it's most likely just a cultural thing I assume. Sorry if my answer didn't help at all. Lol

• Lol I thought that your answer was fine.

• They do in Kansas.

• Marrying young is common in cultures where it's taboo to have sex unless you're married.

• That's just their tradition

• It's a cultural thing.

• There is kids in Indian countries that get married at 13.

• I'm talking about in America. They may not get married at 13, but for American standards 20 is young.

• That's illegal in India, however it does occurr, yes.