Why do atheists get married?

It's really stupid. By your thinking, love shouldn't exist other than as a defined term for an umbrella of biological processes, which you should know? So why cement yourself with legalese and added responsibilities? I don't get it.

Most Helpful Girl

• The lamest argument against atheism is bringing love life of a person into the argument and wanting to connect believing in God with being able to love.

The only difference between a God believer and an atheist is that an atheist is after a logical believable explanation even for his or her love, and that explanation doesn't make him stop having or enjoying that feeling. and that's apart from the fact that knowing about the actual reasons of the creation of a feeling inside can help him or her deal with the issues associated with that feeling better.

but that believer believes in something he/she can't even explain and like always he is lost in a feeling and the most he/she can do is to pray for something that again S/he can't explain to help him and "brighten" the way for him.

We know for example that the hormone oxytocin has direct effect on a mother's love for her child or a person's affection. and aside from oxytocin injection for mothers for some medical reason it's being suggested as something that can improve behaviours in people that naturally lack oxytocin like some people in some disorders. Literally science improving love.

Is that something odd and is that love unreal and impure because it was improved in a purely materialistic way? no, love is love. you can't explain what causes it, an atheist can actually explain. That is all.

It doesn't matter what makes us love each other the ability to love is what matters, and above that valuing the feeling of love.
    and an atheist is able to even improve that feeling while you can't do anything about it with your belief.

• But if an atheist can explain it, why marry? It makes even more sense not to.

What Girls Said 7

• I actually don't think that love doesn't exist outside of marriage. Don't know where you got that from. People don't need to get married if they don't want to. And not being married doesn't make your relationship better or more likely to succeed either. I got married because it was the right direction for my relationship and because there were other legal benefits to it for us. I don't care to discuss them on a question like this, though.

Why is marriage any different for religious couples? Religious marriage is basically the same thing in today's world. If people want to get married, let them. Live and let live.

• Atheists only should get married if they love a good party and the girl wants that nice wedding dress. If you atheist, there is no love, just biological processes that is akin to any other animal. Evolution actually saying that men are supposed to fuck everything, women supposed to nurture. Your investment in terms of marriage is 40% in America.

• Marriage is more than the wedding dude. If that's all people care about, they shouldn't be getting married. And I don't love him because I'm not religious? I don't see how religion makes one capable of love. Nobody told me that before so thanks for letting me know. I actually got married in the church because that's what my family wanted, so does that make it more valid? I'm not sure what your 40% in America comment means but I don't live in the USA.

Why are you so concerned with who gets married and why they do so?

Lol @ "there's no love because you're atheist" That's hilarious. You're definitely religious, aren't you?

• Marriage is a civil right more than it is a religious rite. It's a legal status and it does not have to be based on belief or faith in a God. The concept of marriage is not even as religious as people think. It's a union and it has been around longer than religion.

• Tax deductions.

• Pay less taxes

• Sorry I didn't realize love only exists if you follow a religion.

• Love doesn't exist to begin with in science.

• It's just your statement "love doesn't exist in science" that makes you come of as extremely religious. But okay, whatever floats your boat @Asker

• @shaeneilson, im not fighting or anything, im just saying, love can't exist in science, other than an umbrella term for a bunch of hormonal changes etc. But then those changes are no different from the biological processes that make a lion, dog, mosquito, squid etc mate with a partner. So why "love" or believe in that concept? To me, atheists who believe in love should actually be agnostic because you believe that something could exist to create love.

• its because they are humans too and have feelings too

• There are other marriages than church marriage. Unless it's two "devoted" atheists, then a church marriage, is more about love and being together "forever" than Jesus.

What Guys Said 11

• "It's really stupid, rah rah bullshit logic"

Oh you got me, you scholar you.

• Well I'm a Greek pagan and I have no idea how you can understand or comprehend love without worshipping Aphrodite the goddess of love. Honestly how the Hades can anybody who doesn't believe in Aphrodite have any concept of marriage? All love stems from the goddess and that's the truth. I wish nonbelievers would appreciate that and follow their own traditions.. I agree with you! This is why more people should convert to Hellenism and follow the wisdom of the Gods. It's the only way for love to hold any meaning.

• Fucking cunt, let people have our opinions. Just because they believe god isn't real doesn't mean they don't believe in love. I should know I used to be a hardcore atheist that would leave if the topic of religion came up, but I still wanted love. Yeah true its how your brain perceives things but its still amazing and special.

• Your opinion means dick in the face of facts. To me it's like Isis killing people for a delusional god, it's their "opinion" to do so, but doesn't make it real or right.

• My opinion doesn't matter , just like YOU said. The answer to your question (the one YOU asked) is that they get married cause in THEIR opinion that's what you do to spend your life with who you love

• There are some practical reasons to marry. Financial, the domestic partnership laws aren't clear enough yet, but marriage creates clear tax advantages. It's easier to get a joint loan for expensive property. It's easier to put someone on your health insurance. Joint property becomes the norm.
    Social, it's a public decoration of your love. If you are married it's easier for a woman to put off advances. It's expected from family and friends.
    Children, it is easier for paternity questions, Inheritance is much more clear.

• I know insurance also decreases. Lol... all these reasons are so romantic:) but logically to legally tie yourself for an investment that has a 60% failure rate doesn't seem like a good investment.

• Most people don't go into a marriage thinking that it will fail. They think that their love is strong and that they will beat the ofds. Logic doesn't play into the long term plan.

Besides it's certainly not the most risky investment. 90% of all small businesses fail within the first year.

• Love is a real thing, God isn't. Painfully simple.

• Painfully simple? Answer this? Love may be a real thing (biologically), but why marriage! Cells don't marry, animals don't marry, plants don't marry? Why should evolved apes marry? Although I'm up for the free bars lol

• For whatever reason, atheist marriages last longer than religious marriages.
    It could be that they're not just using marriage as a licence to have sex, and that they are totally convinced they'll have a long and loving life together.

• @Tractorbeam again, you are a wise dude. Probably right... atheists know full well the crap im whining about but know they want to stay together (and a wedding makes an awesome party ha ha)

• Because commitment is wonderful!

• There are legal reasons.

• I don't think you really fully understand the concept of atheism, marriage and social relationship and social science.

• Because marriage is a civil institution, not religious.

• Whether someone wants to get married or believes in marriage has zero to do with whether they believe in god.

• Marriage came from religion. There is no love to begin with according to science. But either way, why get legally bound anyway?

• Fuck you are a retard, seriously. Lol you couldn't out argue a rock or present your view accordingly if you tried. I was going to toy with you and your stupidity but you know its going that way, so yeah... best to leave it.

• Ciao, dumbass.