Marriage is only for Religious Conservatives. What say you?

I think it's becoming clear that marriage is only a religious rite and sacrament for radical (and I mean radical, dude )oo( ) conservative religious people. The secular world has outgrown it. Bygum, they've flat 'evolved' beyond it like the monkeys they are. Why not just admit that secular society does not need marriage and never actually had any need of marriage?

• Atheists and INTELLECTUALS don't need no marriage!
  • Marriage is just a part of the Christian Patriarchal PARADIGM!
  • Look, I just wanted to wear the dress, blast it!
  • I'm gay and want to feel like a bride and not just a bridesmaid!
Quite the crucible, ain't it? Hee-hee.
1 Christian vs 100 Atheists.

Atheists complain they are being bullied. LOL

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 16

• None of the above. I would like to be married it is a pact between u n your spouse, you are no longer 2 but 1. God the creator of the world commands for u to marry. so if u dont believe in God is easy to understand not to believe in marriage either.

• Yeah, but you're a religious conservative. So, it's ok for you. You can get married and live happily ever after. You're ok. You can pass.

I'm talking about the 'atheist intellectuals' and other who have 'evolved beyond' marriage.

• Fosho fosho :)

• I think a relationship that is able to withstand the obstacles of a typical marriage without needing to enter into a legally binding contract, and actually stay together on their own terms is actually more of a testament of the strength of that relationship in the first place than the marriage itself.

And certainly much more romantic than signing a contract that says you HAVE to be with someone for the rest of your life, until death due you part. I think the ceremony is great, but the actual legal ramifications and religious part make me not want any part of it.

The only real reasons I see to get married is the intent to have and raise children together, for financial purposes, or if you accidentally got someone pregnant and don't want the pressure of child support and that whole awkward mess that comes with it.

• So, you kind of what the marriage and bound together part without any of the unneeded fidelity and commitment part.

• Well, I just fail to see the romance in signing yourself over in a contract, honestly. In the end, you don't belong to anyone (I don't like the name change part either, I'd rather keep my last name), you don't HAVE to be with anyone, but if you CHOOSE to remain with and be faithful to that person all on your own, then that is real love. It shouldn't require the law to make people stay together, just saying. And divorce rates are so high, so it's not like marriage is obviously taken that seriously nowadays anyway.

• Er, excuse me?

Are you confusing that 'secular' contract signing with the religious rite of marriage that is a verbal vow?

Yes, please don't confuse a marriage with a justice of the peace. Thank you.

Christians don't sign anything.

They state their love and commitment to one another before witnesses on earth and in heaven.

And by their Word, their Book is sealed.

• Lots of people who aren't religious get married. Marriage has several benefits; Lower taxes, lower insurance, longer life expectancy, etc... People also get married outside of religious reasons. Maybe one or both are in the military or someone is immigrating.

I don't think most people get married for only one reason, but I do think money and circumstances have more to do with it than religion.

• So, Christians get married for God.

And atheists get married for the money.

So, marriage is good for hearth and home on earth and in heaven.

And atheists are willing to ride the gravy train and suck the dregs thrown to them by the gracious Church.

• Actually, I'm just playing the devil's advocate and trying to figure out what kind of a quack farce an atheist speaks of when s/he/it uses terms like 'monogamy' and 'commitment. They say it almost as if they believe it makes them more 'moral'. And they don't believe in morality. They only believe in zoology.

• Ahhh okay I see now. I really couldn't guess since everyone has their own reasons for their decisions. I have an atheist friend who insisted she never wanted to get married again after her first marriage. Her husband became abusive and part of the reason it was so difficult for her to leave was because she was married.

But now she's met her current partner and he treats her so well and they have such a great relationship. Its super sweet and d'awwww. They have a civil union but every now and again there's talk of getting married. It just really, really depends.

• No it's not. It's a business relationship. I know a white friend was paid 15K to marry an old crook from CHINA so he could come into the western country without paying visa fees.

• I'm an atheist feminist---I want to get married so I can divorce-rape my husband, obv.

• I mean, you do have a point, marriage is literally a peice of paper, where it really isn't needed to stay commited to each other. Yes, it is a religious thing, but it's also somewhat looked down upon having a family but not being married. Personally, I want to get married, im not uber religious, I do believe in God and go to church, but for me marriage is a symbol of love, where someone is willing to set things aside so you can be with them. Again, you can do this without marriage, but thats what it is for me.

• Is marriage 'literally' a piece of paper, dear?

• Well I guess not literally, I was just trying to make a point and show you that I respect your opinion.

• It is irrelevant if you respect my opinion.

What I want to know is how much you respect marriage. Is the sum total of marriage simply one legal property rights document?

Marriage contract. Housing contract. Automobile contract.

All mundane. All about the bottom line.

Why would any intellectual or atheist male enter into such quasi-religious taxation garble?

• I want to get married for the commitment and ownership 😂

• But tax deductions...

• I ain't sayin' she a gold digga, but she ain't messin' wit no broke...

• Right? Furthermore, if I don't trick a man into marrying me, how will I ever take him to the cleaners in a divorce later?

• I don't know how you'll take him to the cleaners in a divorce later.

I guess we'll find out, though.

• The ceremony involves religion. You're promising God and your partner that you will stay faithful to God and your partner. If you're an atheist, you either should not get married or find a type of ceremony that does not involve such commitments because if you don't believe in God, those promises are useless.

• ha no! I'm not even religious or an atheist, and yes, I'm an intellectual but i want to get married someday.

• But you aren't going to get married. And the reason you aren't is because no man is going to want to marry you. The reason they won't is because they will all be fundamentally atheist and secular-humanist and know that marriage will only benefit you and not them.

I'm sorry dear. It's looks like you've been left behind.

No Christian will want you since you aren't a Christian. And no atheist will want you because they have discovered that the deck is stacked against men.

I guess you're in quite a little conundrum, aren't you? I wonder how you will get out of it.

• I don't have to*

• I'm scheduled to be banished from GAG long before that. But I do hope you can beat the odds.

It's gonna take a miracle.

• I don't think marriage is only for religious/conservative people. I don't believe marriage is about religion.

• No it's not just for religions. I see gay wanting to get married and atheists I know getting married all the time bc they want it to be like official and have a huge ceremony.

• So, you're saying that even though they don't believe in God, they actually want to praise and obey God's Command to be married and fruitful.

So, they are really closet theists.

• Not really😕

• You and a billion others, dear.

• Monogamy to ME is totally un-natural... the end!

• Excellent!

I like a girl who knows where she's bound. :-)

• I'm glad we can come together as a family on this issue. :-)

• @ COM. (laughing. happily) It almost feels like it :P

• I say no….

• this poll is very.. evil o__o

• Ok we can say that but then we need to take marriage out of the law.

• So why don't you?

Secularist voter outnumber Christians by far today. Why not use this power and end this marriage licensing nonsense? It has no place in your 21st progressive century.

The Age of Convergence has arrived.

• Well I'm not American and don't live in America and Christians outnumber secularists here by far. But yeah America and other secular nations should.

• I'm all for it. I want the New World Order to take over the world and give these fools what they really want.

I want them to have exactly and precisely the world they ordered. I can't wait.

I
      can't
      wait

What Guys Said 18

• I can't determine whether you're a troll or not whenever I see your questions or opinions.. Marriages and unions between families have been done by many different religions and cultures throughout history. People don't usually trade their daughters for 3 goats and a cow anymore but yeah marriage has changed with the passing of different cultures and it will continue to change. Drawing lines in the sand as a desperate attempt to cling to a culture that's diminishing in order to preserve it just for certain groups will prove unsustainable in the future.

• Well, how about trying this: instead of wondering whether, or not I'm a troll, why not go out on a limb and say what you feel about the topic.

How about that? :-)

If I'm a troll, Aristotle was too.

• I'm pretty sure he did say what he thought about the topic?

• Think of it this way.
    Marriage is a business contract with a religious heritage. It establishes rights and obligations between the parties and hold all of them accountable by law.

That's what it is. If it's your cup of tea and wishes the other party to be responsible beyond that of the power of good will.
    Well go ahead.

• All i gotta say is this, some people think they are smart and act like that too. But in reality, they don't realize how stupid or blind they are.

• I feel people have made a mockery of what marriage is. After all, there are so many people who get divorced. What's the point of getting married if you will end up divorced? This goes for both Christians and atheists. Marriage is the bond between two people that confess their love to each other for the rest of their lives.

• Atheists don't believe in love. Love is a transcendental idealism. The only 'love' that a historic-materialist can possibly 'believe in' is a series of chemical reactions that create erotic attraction and feelings of fondness toward one's chosen animal mate for purposes of pleasure leading to procreation of the species.

Romantic, those atheists, aren't they?

• Keep guessing.

• We're both atheists and intellectual and we're happily married [but not in church, :D ]

• Wrong. Marriage is for everybody. It's up to one's own self to choose if he/she wants it or not.

• Why is marriage for everyone? Are you saying that marriage is as natural to man as nature? Are you suggesting that humans are naturally mate for life and exchange vows of commitment?

• Are you saying that single mothers are incompetent to raise children?

What are you? Some kind of...

SEXIST!!!

• lol Single mothers and single fathers. It's usually the father that leaves, so that's why I said teen moms instead of teen moms and dads.

• I'm atheist and I wanna get married, but not by the church but by the state.

• I disagree with all your options I know people who aren't religious and want to wait until they get married there is nothing wrong with that quit spilling hate.

• I'd say urine idiot.

• Well, I'm a liberal Agnostic and I'd like to marriage one day. So yeah.

• Marriage should only be between shrimp and donkeys

• Well in that case, I guess all forms of traditionalism are only for religious conservatives and need to be done away with, right?

• How can someon this old be this annoying

• I'm really good at dialectics. That's how. It took me years to gain the ability to annoy you as much as you see before your eyes today. And I love my work.

• please don't love it

• But I do.

I do.

And you really need someone like me to annoy you. You've been needing a good annoyance for years.

• I think ! arriige is a commitment but actually process is not nessasary but it will be fun so I want to marry a girl for sure.

• I see marriage as a contract simply

• And reported for being antagonistic :)

• You need to be reported for being a passive aggressive little coward.

I'm trying to help you, and just look at your thanks.

• >Passive aggressive little coward

Oh man, you have not seen me around here enough, I'm trying a new tactic for trolls like you

Enjoy :)

• Also for the record, never call yourself daddy again, especially when you're talking to a bunch of dudes

f****t

• Marriage as it exists today is for the benefit of women and children, not men.

• Exactly. So, of all people, I cannot imagine why the atheist and intellectual crowd would ever seek to come near the rite.

• I have no idea what being an atheist has to do with marriage. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

• Yeah, I don't know either. My feeling on marriage, as a man, is that it CAN be great IF you find the right woman. That's a big IF and the odds are increasingly small. Marriage is stacked against men today, and women tend to take full advantage of that and screw men over. I would love to get married to a good woman but I am realistic about the fact that my chances of finding her are quite small.