Why do women feel the need to get married?

I was brought up by a conservative Palestinian mother who taught us that marriage was the only way for us to be complete human beings.

Now I'm not sure. I think the whole wedding racket is stupid beyond comprehension. A cheesy waste of money where women desperately try and assert their superiority over other women by proving that they conned some poor sap into marrying them and paying for the whole charade. All these girls wear the exact same ugly meringue dress and obsess over place settings and monogrammed napkins.

I love men. I have been in only a few relationships. I have no desire to marry or have children. Most older couples seem to treat their relationships as a sophisticated financial arrangement (they work to buy stuff they don't need together). I don't see a reason why people who don't love eachother anymore shouldn't part ways. I personally wouldn't want some man to be stuck with me just because we owned a house together. I hate owning things and love to be free of material possessions. Why can't people be like this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Marriage is an essential part of life because it seals the commitment both a woman and a man have shared with each other. If a person is not willing to do this, it's alright because it shows they are not commitment material and are willing admiting it. For a guy looking for long term commitment, it would be a signal to move on to another girl and hopefully find one that is willing to commit. Dating serves this purpose, to find a woman or man that has the qualities you like or are willing to accept in a person.

• That's not true, some people just view marriage differently, have no interest in it or just plain don't need it and I don't think that says anything about their commitment to someone, if you're not committed before a piece of paper is signed then you aren't going to be afterwards either.

What Guys Said 4

• I don't know, I don't think I ever want to get married after how I have been treated by so many women. My dream of getting married to a great woman and having kids has gone because I know it won't happen for me. I don't want to be trapped into a marriage, that is how I see marriage now days. It was a good thing back in say the 1950's or 60's when people actually made an effort in their relationship but not now. That is how I feel.

• For women the most general reason would be the feeling of safety rather than completion. However each woman has her own reasons to get married. To find your answer you should firstly consider the real meaning of marriage. You can find several perspectives of marriage such as philosophy or religion. Once you find the meaning of marriage then you'll answer your question.

• well, they usually marry guys who earn more than they do when you look at the statistics, so its partly to find some security, and partly because they love the guy and want to make it official under the law. You get certain legal privileges when you are married vs being unmarried

• Maybe you are gay?

What Girls Said 4

• I agree with you but I still want to get married. I'm like you, I don't want children and if i'm ever not happy in a marriage, i'm leaving. Honestly it doesn't have to be one way or another, you can get married and not have children, you can get married and when you're not happy, you still have the freedom to leave, you don't have to own anything together, you can get a prenup, actually I would prefer to do that honestly lol I wouldn't necessarily attach all of these stereotypes to marriage, do what you want and what makes you happy, in marriage and outside of it.

• i want to get married so i can belong. my family is shit. i want a new one. i want someone to stick with me through the rest of my life--someone i can always trust. and i want kids. what's life without people that love you?

• Probably because many of them dream of starting a family and leading a long, happy and stable life.

• As a child of two unmarried parents that thought a piece of paper didn't matter, it does. If two people love each other, why not get married? There are so many things that protect the partner and child/ren if one passes away or something. Legal rights for a wife/husband are MUCH greater than a boyfriend/girlfriend of course. After my dad passed away, things were awful. His family stepped in and my mom had no rights what so ever. And yes, they were together. But as far as two people who don't love each other, no clue. But if a couple loves each other, they why not get married? Especially before having children. It is awkward on the child. What was your parents wedding like? How did your dad propose to your mom? Umm.. Well they met at... Because if you tell someone they aren't legally married, it REALLY gets awkward. I had a girl tell me my parents were no good in kindergarten. Haven't told a soul since, which is why I am anonymous lol. And they did love each other and acted more married than most married couples. They considered themselves married in God's eyes. Which they were. But that legal piece of paper IS important.