Should the stone in an engagement ring always be a diamond?

I know a lot of rings nowadays don't necessarily have a diamond as the main stone, but I'm just wondering what your personal thoughts are.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 8

• No, and in fact, diamonds have only been the tradition for the last 100 years or so, because of some genius "Apple-level" marketing. The De Beers company did two very important things: they bought up all of the diamond mines giving them complete control over the diamond supply, and they ran a brilliantly-manipulative marketing campaign that suggested that no only were diamonds the "standard" stone to expect, but further that men should spend a certain percentage of their income on a ring.

The crazy thing is: people "bought it" because they figured out just how to appeal to the female fantasy, which they understood was the key to their success.

And by controlling the entire diamond supply, and by essentially killing any other market for diamonds ("used" diamonds are only worth a tiny fraction of their purchase price, and appraisals are a joke being tied directly to the primary-market retail price), they kept the price of diamonds artificially high. The truth is: diamonds are a very common gem, and De Beers has decades worth of supply locked up, and purchases any new veins that are discovered anywhere in the world so that they can dole them out to the market slowly to keep the prices artificially high.

In reality, rubies and emeralds are much more rare, and thus have much more "real" value than diamonds, but they don't have a cartel with marketing genius to control their markets.

You should read this:

www.theatlantic.com/.../

• Engagement rings always being diamond solitaires is a recent fashion, my mum's engagement ring is a ruby, they wete popular in the 70's.

That said I love my wife's platinum diamond solitaire, it's a classic design and can be handed down from mother to daughter for generations and still be pristine.

But it's just a matter of taste, there's nothing to say a duamond ring is a more 'proper' engagement' ring than any other sort

• No. It just comes from (really good) marketing from De Beers diamond mining company. You can use anything you want tbh

• Many people go with a birthstone. In my case it was a stone that she really likes, that is all.

• Pros to this idea:
    *potentially less expensive
    *It could lead to some creative ideas (making the ring her birth stone, designing a ring that reflects her beauty, etc.)

Cons:
    *It would remove some of the distinctive characteristics of an engagement ring, thus making it harder for another person to identify whether the woman he wants to hit on is spoken for, or just wearing expensive jewelry.

• No that's just a advertisement brainwashing thing America came up with

• Probably but I stuck quartz in my gf's engagement ring and she has no clue.

• it's tradition but not a requirement. Most beautiful ring I ever bought was for my first wife. Mostly moonstones and moldavite in a titanium band. We're no longer together but she still wears the ring around her neck.

What Girls Said 3

• It doesn't have to be a diamond at all. It can be any stone at all, or a completely non traditional ring, or no ring at all. And if it's a diamond, it doesn't even have to be white. Yellow or canary diamonds are becoming quite popular now. Mine is a white diamond and I love it since he chose it just for me, but I'd have liked any other stone as well.

• Diamond or her favorite stone (or color) or a combo.

I'd take a Shaphire or Diamond personally.

• No, it should be whatever you like, it's your ring. I personally hate diamonds, they're so plain, typical and over priced lol. I would rather a black onyx stone or something different honestly.