Should same-sex marriage be legalized in America?

This has been in the media for a while, what are your opinions on it? Should people be able to marry who they want here in the U.S., after all we are the land of the free, is it not true that you can be you in America?

• Yes. Why?
  • No. Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes.

The idea that marriage can't be done between same sex couples because of "God's will" is ridiculous as God also wanted a whole load of other stuff we don't do. Wearing clothes, playing computer games, the Internet, medicine and flying are all things we do even though they are 'unnatural'. There are gay animals so homosexuality is as natural as anything else we do.
    Also, is America's law supposed to be governed by religion? If we allowed religion to hold back society, we'd still think the earth was flat.

The idea that we can't because it might result in men marrying animals is also stupid. No one is saying that. What we are saying is that people should have the same right regardless of their sexuality. Besides, I'm sure some also argued that white people can't marry black people because one day, it might result in humans marrying animals. An equally ridiculous argument.

What Guys Said 18

• Ireland are having a referendum on legalising same sex marriage in May, with the 'Yes' vote looking like it will romp home with a 70-80% share.

If a strongly catholic country like Ireland can give their homosexual citizens lefal equality in this area the U. S. has no excuses.

I don't think anyone is advocating forcing churches to perform same sex ceremonies if they are opposed to them. There are plenty of churches that are happy to do them so there is no need for that.

• Well I am Catholic, and my family is Irish... but we live in America. Oh gosh darnit... I think I am juat going to move to Ireland.

• Well I think we have more rights in the united states than in some other countries, but we are not truly free. I strongly think that same sex marriage should be allowed. We should be allowed to love whoever we want to love, regardless of gender.( as long as both parties are over the age of 18)

• Yes! But there are many countries that have legalized it, and we are commonly known for being free, so it just makes me angry that when it comes to something that doesn't really effect everyone here, people get defensive.

• Yes, they also told me that they were not going to heaven, and I replied, at only eight years old that if they weren't meant to be here then they would not have been created.

• *claps* You beat the odds. You actually were able to open your mind and find out your own opinion on different types of matters instead of believing what other people told you. Sadly, a large number of people couldn't and still can't do what you did when you were at the age of 8

• I don't think marriage is a governmental affair, so yeah. The only reason marriage would ever be linked to the government is to tie it to things such as sharing assets, etc.

Marriage is primarily a religious covenant, so the right to marry two people of same sex should be given to each individual church and can be exercised at their disclosure.

Just my 2c

• Where is the line drawn?

• Sure, through "civil unions" ie government sponsored marriages. But they shouldn't force churches or any other religious institutions to oversee same sex marriages if it violates their doctrine.

Tolerance is a two way street. Be tolerant of others so called intolerant beliefs

• Of course gay people too should legally be allowed to say to each other "hey, I really enjoy being with you, so let's get the government involved in our relationship".

• I would support a Constitutional Amendment allowing same sex marriage, but there isn't enough support right now from the individual states to get anything going. It's going to be a slow battle, but I think as more states legalize it, it will get easier. Cultural attitudes need to shift more for their to be effective law making.

• I don't even support straight marriage...

• Because I dont see how two people of the same sex who love each other getting married affects anyone in anyway!!
    Personally I think its stupid that there is a law against it in the first place!
    My opinion may be a little bias aha :)

• Sure why not

• With gay marriage comes gay divorce. Gay people deserve to face the painful and life destroying risks and consequences us straights might have to go through.

• Gays should have the right to be miserable just like the rest of us.

• Yes cuz it's not hurting anyone so who gives a shit.

• Apparently not in Indiana

• Yeah it should be legalized.

• Why not? No one should have the right to deny anyone else the freedom of someone else to chose their own spouse. It's no one else's business. I don't get why anyone who is straight would really care who a gay person chooses to be with.

• No. God designed marriage to be between a man and a woman, so no.

• No there should be a penalty for being homosexual.

What Girls Said 8

• Of course it should. Isn't it in the constitution or whatever that Church and State are separate from each other. Religious reasons are why gay marriage is not allowed and it really pisses me off. They have a right to marry the person they love and what the hell does it matter to others if it's not affecting them directly?

• Yas girl!!! And the problem is that religion accepts it, but doesn't approve it... and I am Catholic, and I constantly talk to priests about it and they tell me there is nothing wrong with attractions to the same sex, but acting upon it is bad, but I don't know... irdc.

• Is it not already? Lol Yas it should be because we are a free country and if that's how some WANNA live then let them!

• Yes, I honestly can't believe it's not legal in every state by now, even if people don't agree with it, it should still be an option, who are they to impose their beliefs on others. Everyone should have the right to marry who they choose to, it's not someones else business.

• I have been against same-sex marriage because I think it is wrong and it goes against the bible. Now wait a second, don't start throwing rocks at me. :)

After I have seen several same-sex couples adopting foster children, I rethink and what I thought was selfish. Although, it really bothers my eyes when I see same-sex couples, but I have to admit that they really can help this society by adopting kids. Those helpless children can actually have more hopes.

This is just my opinion.

• #respect... you are good. tbh all we have to do is tolerate people because tolerance is the start to peace... and I see what you mean I guess growing up a certain way can influence your process of opinion, but that is where some people go wrong... we must start our own beginnings to be able to have a beautiful ending. Yolo, so why not live it in a way that you as a peraon are comfortable with. But think, whenever you see your mind wonder and think omg that is not the normal, just sit and imagine if being homosexual was the normal and being heterosexul was abnormal... then put yourself in the situation of being the outcast... just wanting to be accepted.

• True true. Well said to the asker #amen. Seeing those foster kids have a family, I feel so happy.

• I am a cery devout Catholic, even at my young age. I see the good in people, I try not to judge anyone... but I am human, lol. We can only see... God created us all in his image... God loves all... so homosexuals had to of been in his plans, I just feel like it is.

• Of course it should be legal.
    It makes no sense for it to be otherwise.

• of course it should be legalized. and not only in America, but in every single country.
    personally, i don't support marriage at all, but if it has to exist, it should at least be done fairly for everyone.

• Yes, that two persons love each other is all that matters

• It's already legal is a lot of states

• But as a country, as a whole? I mean there ia nothing wrong with having to get married in a certain state, but what if family doesn't live there? And they can't travel for some reason?