Proposals: Did you ask for their parents blessing?

When you proposed to your girlfriend or boyfriend did you ask for their parents blessing first? Tell you tell your SO's parents that you wanted to propose? Do you think asking for a parents blessing is too traditional? Do you think its disrespectful to NOT ask? Is this aspect of proposal and marriage even important to you?

Most Helpful Guy

• My father in law is more like a friend than he is a parent figure. I did ask for his permission (as a joke really), but he said no and then we had a beer together lol

• I should add that 2 months prior her mum had threatened me that if I don't marry her daughter she would stop cooking for me

• This is a cute story

• I can assure you there is nothing cute about being pushed against the wall by your mother-in-law-to-be! :D

What Guys Said 4

• Well I'm nowhere close to proposing but when I do, I'd like to ask the parents... I don't really care what they say but it's all about the gesture lol

• I am going to ask my future wife's father for his Father's blessing.

I announced it right here on 04/28/2015.

• Never proposed before, but my cousin did.

• I don't believe in that. I make my own choices.

What Girls Said 7

• My sisters fiancé asked for my parents permission. They just clarified with him that he knew exactly what he was getting into lol.

• i wouldn't care if the guy asked for my parents' blessing or not... but if we were THAT serious, he would have already met my parents, my family, been thoroughly vetted by them, etc. i don't think he would ask if he didn't feel my parents liked him as a person.

• My husband did.

• I was proposed to once, and he didn't ask. My sister was also proposed to, and he didn't ask either.

• I would like my boyfriend to ask my father and maybe my step father also.

• Meh , don't care much for it.

• No. I can care less about it.