Asking a Woman’s Father For Her Hand In Marriage. Yes or No?

Okay, this should be quick

It is time, I have been with this girl about 2 years. and after everything I found out her quirks and flaws, but she is still perfect.

my question is.. she has been married before. she had a big wedding.. doesn't want another big wedding again.
should I talk to her father and ask for her hand in marriage? or is it not needed.. since he already gave her away once? I'm not sure how that works.. is she open to just ask; do i drop to my knee and propose or is it still customary to go to her father and get his permission?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not sure if permission is the right word. Blessing, maybe. Like, you're just giving him a heads up that you're going to ask her to marry you and you'd life him to be cool with that but it's happening whether he likes it or not.

I told my boyfriend he had to ask my dad for his blessing before he asked me. Cause in weird like that.

What Girls Said 4

• yes, definitely yes. it doesn't matter what happened, u still need to ask.

• I think that it is a nice idea, and her parents will respect you for it.

• asking the father is so traditional i love it and i think it shows to her and her parents that you are committed in being part of the family

• I think you should ask her father's permission first and then propose to her.

What Guys Said 4

• I would ask him to be polite but if he says no I would still ask her to marry me because it's not his choice

• It's good to have the father's blessings.

• No. I will not allow another person to dictate how my relationship will go

• If the guy likes you sure. If he doesn't that might create a whole huge situation.