Is it weird to not want an expensive diamond engagement ring?

I've told my boyfriend I don't want a big wedding or some crazy desginer dress, I think that having a nice engagement ring would be most important to me because I would be wearing it everyday for the rest of my life. When I said "nice ring" I'm almost certain that he interpreted this as "Expensive big diamond ring".

That is however, not what I want at all. I would much rather have a ring with opal, or pearl maybe something that feels right for my personality and definitely not in the $1000-$1500 price range that he's being looking at. I've tried to tell him this, that I don't need a $1000 diamond ring and that I'd be happy with something simpler, it doesn't have to be a diamond. His response is always that "He refuses to get me anything less than I deserve." Which is super sweet, he thinks that I am uncomfortable with him spending that kind of money on me. I just think that instead of spending all that money on a ring, we could put it towards the vacation we want to go on for example.

I just can't convince him that I'd love a pretty opal ring, my mom also thinks I'm crazy for wanting a cheaper ring. Is it really that strange to not want an expensive diamond ring? I know it's kind of tradional to get diamond but still, no one is taking me serious.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would like an opal ring too so def not weird at all! It's so cool how they change color and they're waaaaaaaay prettier than diamonds. Your boyfriend is doing the diamond thing bc he thinks that shows he cares right? Well sit him down and explain to him how getting something you like and will actually mean more than a price tag is more important to you.

What Guys Said 4

• CONGRATULATIONS!

You've escaped the grasp of DeBeer's marketing plot to sell you carbon!

• Not weird, common sense. There are far better uses for that amount of money. If only all women shared that mentality...

• This probably isn't a question for guys to answer, but if I find a diamond ring that I know my girlfriend really likes, I'm going to save up and get her what she really likes and then she'll become my fiancĂ©e if she says, "yes".

• Straying from the norm, yes, but weird? Nah. I'd say it's quite ideal.

What Girls Said 3

• Nope. In a normal country it's weird to have one.

• Its not weird, in my opinion it is good your partner is actually valuing the relationship not from the price of the ring but the love of yours.
    Check this : http://www.ringsforwomen.org/

• No, it's not weird.