What is the purpose of hymns at a Christian Wedding?

I am currently revising for a Religious Education exam.

Just wondering if there is actually any religious meaning/symbolism to having hymns sung at a wedding? Is it just because people like to have them

I tried to find out but couldn't find anything relevant to my question.

Thanks.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wedding is a holy sacrament. The couple is blessed by God to be united as one. The hymns are about God blessing the couple and talk about the way the couple should treat each other.

What Guys Said 3

• Singing is a important in Christian religious services. "Singing praises" and "make a joyful noise" are common in that religion. And a wedding is a very important religious service (if you are making it a religious service), so music plays a huge part as in all services.

• I have no idea but if I had to guess it's probably just for setting the mood/atmosphere.

• Because marriage is an important Christian belief. In an ideal Christian society two people are married as virgins and spend there life basically learning sex with each other.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't understand why you'd ever sing hymns. Is it just me who thinks they sound bloody awful?