Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

=( After 4 years w/ my boyfriend... I'd like to get married. Im 24, and he's 33. I sleep over his house 6 times a week and we regularly cook/clean his apt together. Today, an older female friend said the reason he hasn't proposed yet is because I am too available to him. Why would he propose when I am practically his wife (without the actual paper) already? Do you guys/ girls think this has some truth to it? How can I all of a sudden stop sleeping over you know? He says he hasn't proposed because he wants to be a a bit more financially secure. PS- he was engaged in his 20's to someone but that didn't work. Please help!

Most Helpful Girl

• If he wants to be financially secure then that's a valid reason. Why wouldn't you want to marry the person you love?

What Guys Said 2

• Today, an older female friend said the reason he hasn't proposed yet is because I am too available to him."<--- some guys don't like this actually... they prefer "hard 2 get" gals :-)

• Do you want the relationship for the relationship itself, or for the little piece of paper?

What Girls Said 3

• some people do believe that to be true..
    have you ever talked to him about marriage?
    if you don't think being married is something really important, because you already feel like his wife... then maybe he feels that same way too...

• Don't stress it my father wouldn't allow my uncle to get married till he paid off all his debt

• I wouldn't be with a man for fours years without a ring. After two years (or earlier) I expect him to pop the question then be married like six months later. A lot of men give women rings with no plan to marry them, they feel as long as she has the ring she will feel 'secure' and not bit*h about it. Then you have some men out there who will throw every excuse in the book not to marry his significant other because she's already performing all of the wifely duties. After two years and a few months without a ring I would leave because I would feel as if I'm wasting my time and youth on him. Men like to say "Oh, its just a piece of paper". Well if its just a piece of paper and you claim to love me so much then let's get hitched so I can have 'that little piece of paper to hold on to". That piece of paper holds a lot more power than some men want you to believe.