How important would it be for your (future) wife to take your last name?

For women, how willing would you be to take a partner's last name?

I gather that for some it doesn't matter at all, and for others it's a deal-breaker.

I'm wondering because I found out recently that until 2013, Swiss law dictated that women would automatically take their husband's last name when getting married (with an optional hyphen to their maiden name).

@harakiri mentioned the ending of a family line. If an only male child only has daughters, and they either don't marry or take their husband's name, that would mean their last name would come to an end. What are your thought on that? Are names worth preserving? or do they then become artifacts of history?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd definitely be willing to take my future husband's last name. I like the fact that we are not just connected by love but also by our names. The husband is the leader in the family and I want to take his surname out of respect and love.

• I agree. I feel like it might bring some strength to the household be unifying under one name. It's like back in the day when a family would have a clan crest under which to be united.

• I'm not sure strictly how "helpful" your opinion is, but I agree with your thinking. :)

• Thank you :)))

What Girls Said 11

• I will take my husband's last name. I'm very traditional and I don't even like my own last name that much, haha.

• I wouldn't mind. If my husband's last name is cooler than mine, I'll take his. If not, then I'll keep my own.

• So if your husband has a WittyName you would Insert it into your identity?

I kid, but that's a nice way to think about it from a practical standpoint. Who wouldn't want to trade up to a sweet name, right?

• Ha, definitely. I've just been searching all my life for that guy with the witty name...

• I would prefer to take his last name, however I probably will not. In my profession name is everything and thus after establishing myself for a number of years it would be almost impossible to just change my name.

• Would you consider a hyphen name? May I ask which profession you are pursuing?

• I would not consider a hyphen name because I personally think they are silly. I'm an attorney.

• Oh, cool. I can see how name-recognition would be valuable for you.

• eh. i kinda want to hyphenate. i love my last name. it sounds great with my first name. my dad had no sons, so i don't want his last name to just DIE.

• Oh, true. It would be the end of the line and a dead end branch of the family tree, as you jump to the tree of your betrothed.

Would you want him to take your name instead?

• Yikes. I'm glad I never lived in Switzerland.

I don't want to change my last name upon my marriage because I will have built up a professional reputation with my name and I don't want to have to lose that.

• Fair enough. Would you want him to take your name?

• I don't really care about having a different last name. If he wants to, sure.

• My father had one son, and three daughters. I love my father, and to honor his memory, I will keep his last name.

My father would have been happy for me to take my husbands last name, but my father is important also. I have had this last name all my life, and I will continue to have it.

It is what I want for myself.

• Good stuff. That's an awesome reason to keep it. It does seem bizarre to me that what has been your name all your life suddenly changes. But then people voluntarily get name changes all on their own. I guess it is subject to how you personally feel about a name.

• I took my husband's name. I like tradition. I am not a fan of double barrelled last names or putting my last name before his on our children. But in saying that, if a woman doesn't want to take on their husband's last name that is OK, as long as your child (if you have any) has the husband's name. Let's keep it simple people.

• I tend to agree, even though I don't think longevity in and of itself should automatically lend credence to an idea or practice. Either way, I'm glad it's a preference thing these days rather than forced upon anyone.

• I'd take it.

• I took his name. :)

• I'm really traditional so I want to take my future husbands last name.

I have my fathers last name, but I've never met him so it has no importance to me and doesn't really matter if I change it

• Cool. I think it makes sense that you wouldn't be too attached.
      Does your mother share your last name? or did she not take your father's name?

• No my mom has her dads last name. My mother and father were never married

• i think it's important.

What Guys Said 5

• It doesn't matter to me at all, to be honest.

• i don't give a shit aboutlast names :p

• Wouldn't bother me in the least.

• In the middle east the woman are called by her last name, every one got his own last name

• I would have been insulted if she didn't. Not the kind of woman that I would fall for anyway.

• When you say "kind of woman" do you mean in terms of traditional values / customs vs new age ideologies? or headstrong, independent vs family focused woman?

• Traditional woman or one who goes with the flow.