Why do people think that getting married young is not a good idea?

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Do you have ANY idea ho much a marriage cost? How much it cost to live together? You can't afford that if you're too young!
    2. The brain isn't nearly fully developed before the mid 20's. Before then, you're not 100% able to make rational decissions. Thus you're less likely to make the right decissions and handle the responsibilities of marriage.
    3. "living on love" does NOT work. Marriage takes a lot more than that, and you are not going to handle it at a young age.
    4. again, financial costs. Marriage implies family. Are you able to support a family at a too young age? The answer is a de facto NO. YOU are not even nearly done with school yet!
    5. Most people doesn't find their someone until after high school, and people change a lot at younger ages. You're thus very likely to see your mate change A LOT. Could be for the better, could be for the worse. But either way, it will affect things, and it's much more likely to remain stable if you meet after you're more or less done developing mentally.

TL:DR you're young, naive, not economically secure enough, and mentally not ready for the responsibility.
    Do you need more rasons?

What Guys Said 11

• All depends on what you consider young. It's just realistically and statistically it normally doesn't end well. There are so many things going on when your young and your in the world. There is a lot of change after HS, with college or working and so many variables and dynamics hard for a young couple to make it. But hey it's their life and it doesn't effect me so they can do what they want.

• Maturity isn't the same when you're younger. For a marriage to work maturity is required.

• Well I think that if you are talking about getting married at all you should be mature. Maturity doesn't come with age.

• Maturity might not come with age but it certainly helps.

• @9mfeo Exactly! Age brings experience and it helps maturity a lot.

• 52% of marriages end in divorce or separation.
    The chances of that are much higher if the bride is less than 25 at the time of the wedding.

• Actually that's not true. I think it was 48% of young marriages end in divorce. The number of most marriages ending is lower.

• @Asker , the real worry is that more than 1/2 the marriages that don't end in divorce or separation still end up miserable. Only about 20% are actually successful for 20 years.

• most marriages at young age r doomed actually

• According to some studies that's actually not true

• Actually most marriages end when they move in together. Its when people see their real habits and can't accept them.

• I looked it up yesterday and it said that people who shack up have a higher chance of getting a divorce than those who wait until marriage. I probably wouldn't have much of a problem with sharing some things with another person. As long as he helps clean around the house or whatever we live in then I wouldn't have a problem.

• Two reasons:

1) Because people don't think quite as rationally at young ages than they do later on, so there's a higher chance they're not getting married for the right reasons.

2) people generally aren't socioeconomically stable yet by then.

• because you have no idea what you want in life yet. you think you do but you dont.

• That's not always true. If you know for sure that it's the right thing then there shouldn't be a problem.

• thats why its hard. everyone at any age always thinks they know best. its not until years later that you realise you were just young and naive

• Marriage is a burden for lifetime... why take that burden so early in life?

• Because men can do better when they're older.

Women choose long term partners badly when young (by young i mean under say 24 or so)

I think that about covers it.

• well i watching an episode of cheers the other day and it showed this womans 16 year old son who wants to marry his girlfriend and him and his girlfriend both seem like they are so in love and wanna spend the rest of their lives togther but the instant the boy meets his girlfriends cousin he immidietley falls in love with her. my point is that when you're young you think were so in love and we will be togther for ever but you haven't seen enough of other people to know what you truly like. now im 24 and engaged and my fiancee is 22 and some people may see that as young but within the 9 months that we dated we had sex eachday and spent each night with eachother we both knew that we were eachothers soulmates and wanted to spend the rest of our lives togther we both want the same things in life and have all the same goals and both care about eacother so much. and even though i never dated or slept with anyone else before her i had years to think about what i wanted in a girl and she fit all of the descriptions so ya i know were young but we both definitley know its the right decision

• Yeah I understand. I want to graduate high school before getting married though. Those two kids could not have really been in love if he could just fall in love like that. It seems like he wasn't ready to even be in a relationship.

• Because people like to judge off of a stereotype. I've been married since i was 19 because we wanted to. It has been 5 years and we are perfectly happy and have no regrets.

It's pretty annoying that so many people talk down on getting married like its some terrible thing to do.

• Yeah I actually had a dream about meeting this guy in high school then getting married after we graduate. Which I did meet this guy and he is like amazing. I actually read stuff about getting married young and studies show that it can be better than waiting until your older.

• Well i mean it all depends. We were together for 4 years before we got married also.

I would say give it some time before jumping into anything.

• Yeah I know. I wouldn't want to get married until I at least graduate high school or my first 4 years of college.

• Because they're realistic.

What Girls Said 5

• Your brain doesn't fully develop until about the age of 25. Until such a time, your personality and values aren't set, and neither will your partner's. It's a good idea to wait to get married until you're at least closer to your brain is fully developed because then you won't be as surprised or taken aback by changes in you and your partner.

• Because most young people are ruled by passion and base their romantic choices on superficial things that will not last and change over time.

• Because marriage is important and you might revret your decision when you get older.

• That's like when I was 10 and had a crush. I no longer like him. What if we dated and I married him?

I think it's best to wait until your older because you have a better way of thinking.

• Well I think its best when your young because then you can grow up with person and you get experience new things together.

• because it usually ends in divorce.

• because they are all idiots example :
    oh im 25 I met this amazing guy/girl we are in love and going to get married and one day have children
    2,) oh im 35 I still haven't found the one but maybe one day... now im 38 im married and we have one child which is two months old...25 years later we ask their child so what was it like being raised by your grandparents?

• 25 isn't really what I meant by getting married young. By 25 you should have graduated college and should be starting your career. I meant like from 18 to 23.

• oh well even better I think getting married young is great if you have found the one

• Yeah thats what I think too.