Engagement broke off between them less then 5 days ago. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

I have this friend whom I met at a camp when I was 12, so I’ve known him for 10 years. We had one of those young couple relationships; held hands, talked on the phone… when we were 12. Haha, it was cute. But of course it only lasted for like a month because we lived about an hour away! We kept in touch though! I see him every once in while. I saw him a few months ago and he was happily engaged, sort of. He dated this girl for 3 years and apparently right before she left for school asked her to marry him. Now she never returns his calls, doesn’t make time for him, etc… The engagement broke off not even a week ago and now he is completely devastated. I feel really bad.

Anyways me and him have always had an attraction to one another. Of course, I respect him and her and would never do anything to try to alter ‘their relationship’ when I knew he was engaged. But now that he's not… Lets just say he wants to hang out this coming weekend. Do you think it would be a good idea to get close to him or am I barking up the wrong tree?

What Guys Said 1

• I think it would be a good idea to get close to him, but I suspect he's going to need more then 5 days to get over this.

What Girls Said 1

• let your intentions be known by him... but STAY AWAY for the time being. You do not want to be a rebound or a mistake to him. So let him know, but just be a friend for a while.