Should siblings be included in the wedding party?

Just a question I've been pondering lately. I've had several friends who have been forced by their parents (mother) to have their sister be Maid of Honor even though they don't get along with their sister and have friends more appropriate for the role. My sister was recently engaged and though I don't think she will, I've decided I will turn down an invitation to be a bridesmaid. I just don't know her well enough to be her bridesmaid and don't want to take a spot from a friend that does just because we happen to share the same blood. It makes sense to me for our other sister to be in the wedding, but not me. Why do people get so bent out of shape when a sibling isn't in the bridal party?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't get that either. A bridesmaid is supposed to be there to support and help the bride. Someone who's up to anything less should not be part of the wedding and just be happy to be invited. I think it's incredibly rude to force your way in honestly.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• No, I don't think that siblings should automatically be included in the wedding party, and I think it was goo of you to turn it down because you felt like you weren't the right person. That's the right thing to do, I think, because a wedding is a usually a really important and personal part of your life that you want to share with those closest to you emotionally, not just by blood. I would probably make my sister maid of honour, but not because she's my sister. It's because she's one of my best friends, and will probably still be one of my best friends by the time I get married. If she isn't, then I'll just invite her to the wedding normally.

• Well my sister is getting married this August and I'm her maid of honor. But we are close. I get what you're saying tho. I have 2 half sisters and 2 stepsisters. And I'd put my stepsisters in my wedding before the half ones. Because I don't really know them. I don't want a huge bridal party tho.