Marriage rates decline, divorce and falling birthrates, society doomed?

I believe there is value in what the old timers say, in the olden days yes people waited for marriage to have sex but they married in there teens. I dont think its possible for to man or woman wait for a wedding as biology always wins. I think the case of milenials is not falling marriage rates but but falling birth rates, countries such as japan, germany and Russia are already facing an apocalyptical crisis that women are having children much later and having much less. A countries greatest resource are it's children and a country with an aging population with no young to support it is doomed so goverments will soon have to do more to encourage young women to have more babies ultimately personally I think if this is the case women are the only ones that can save us from this doom. For the record men adore smart, intelligent women who know their own mind.

What do u guys think?

• we're doomed!
  • it will all work out
  • Zombie apocalypse more likely
No women have commented yet which is rare

Most Helpful Guy

• Although this will sound totalitarian, notice how the drop in birth rates to unsustainable levels goes together with women's liberation. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for equality and female rights and what not, but... you don't have to be against it to notice it. The more educated the countrie's females are, the less people are born. Yes it has several other factors but this is a major one.

We just have to find a way to have educated women have big (or at least decently sized) families when they're younger but I don't know how anyone is going to do that.

What Girls Said 7

• Our world is already over-populated. Predicted to grow to 10 billion people by 2050, from the current 7 bil. If you ask me, the world would be much better off if we halved the world's population. I'd like to live in a sustainable environment, where the trees have a chance to grow old. Fuck people. There are too many of us. We are a cancer to the wild life of this planet.
    Let gays be free. Maybe they'll be the solution to increasing numbers of unwanted children in orphanages. Let them be happy.
    I like some of the traditional values, such as ladies being kind and men being gentlemen. But I like the other things, such as equal rights and freedom of opportunity. So perhaps a perfect combination of old values and today is the answer.

• Your right. We need to kill off the old half for there to be a future.

• The old half will die anyway. What I think is, leave things as they are, but introduce new birth control where you can't have a kid unless you are financially able to support him. Pisses me off how easily some people pop kids, like they're toys. They're human beings and need to be provided for, need to be raised. If proper birth control exists, we can ensure that our population doesn't rise.

• The elderly population is growing at a huge rate and are a drain on national resources. If there was a mass culling of the aged that would free things up for the next generation. A country's future rests with its youth.

• What kind of dumb-assed, Glenn Beck nonsense is this? The US population is growing, you dolt. And the earth is getting over-populated. But because it bothers you that gay people exist and that women are doing something other than breeding you pretend like this is a problem?

• The only way to change a country for the better is to cut it down at the knees and rebuild something stronger.

• The Earth is over populated.

• Let's just be honest here. Feminists and homosexuals don't run countries. It's the rich, arrogant, usually white privileged men who make the big decisions. Marriage and birth rates are dropping because people don't know how to act anymore. The majority of people don't value relationships even though they say they do. Why would a woman stay with a man who doesn't deserve her? And vice versa? It's time people stop pointing fingers at the minorities, and focus on the real issues. Women aren't baby factories. Just because we can have children, doesn't mean we have too in this morally f-ed up world.

• I do think that feminism has influenced the birth rate. Access the birth control and abortion has allowed for greater family planning. This means that people have more control over if and when they have children, and how many children they have. Women are also able to pursue higher education and careers, which means they are more likely to have children later in life, to have fewer children, or to not have children.

But I think that placing the sole "blame" on feminism is a very simplified view of society.

For example, it ignores things like advances in technology and automation, which results in people in general requiring higher education to obtain a well-paying job. Also, the fact that many of the types of jobs that don't require higher education have been outsourced to other countries (i. e. factory jobs), and the ones that haven't often don't pay very well (i. e. the service industry).

Higher education is incredibly expensive in the US, and has resulted in a huge amount of student loan debt.

And then there's the economic crisis we have been going through. The lack of jobs for those who are graduating from college (with a huge amount of debt).

The need for people to obtain higher education has pushed back the age at which people are ready to start families. But what's more is that even after graduating, it still isn't economically feasible for many people to do so because they are unable to get a decent paying job and/or they have a huge amount of student debt.

Like, personally, I'm nearly 30 and while I have a decent job, I'm still paying off my student loans, I don't own a car, I rent because I can't afford to save up for a down payment on a house, I don't have any savings. I feel like I can't even consider having a child at this point because I think it would be irresponsible given my financial situation. And my situation is not uncommon among Millennials/Gen Y's.

So, what can the government do if they want to encourage people to have families? Some suggestions (that I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with):
    1. Improve the economy - Personally, I think that there should be higher taxes on the rich.
    2. Lower tuition costs, and student debt forgiveness.
    3. Paid parental leave.
    4. Government-subsidized child care.

As far as gay people go, I don't really see the argument. LGBT individuals only make up a small proportion of the population, and guess what? They can and do have children.

• "A countries greatest resource are it's children and a country with an aging population with no young to support it is doomed"

And that's why we should be open to young immigrants who want to contribute to our society. There are more than enough people world, far too many actually. No need for us to increase population even more while there are so many young people looking for an opportunity in developed countries.

• The problem that developing countries have is that their best and brightest, their young leave to go to foreign countries. Large scale imigration usually only benefits the rich and lowers the average wage which messes an economy up because the average person has less to spend and people's penisions become worth less. Young people are the life blood of an economy.

What Guys Said 12

• Society is doomed for other reasons.
    Toxic chemicals in the food chain have been reducing hormone levels and fertility rates by 1% per year for almost 40 years.
    Within 60 years or so, human reproduction by normal means will be very unlikely. Some animals and fish with high exposure to these chemicals (where they experience runoff of fertilizer etc into streams) are already infertile.

• It's a shame that the most intelligent people are the least likely to reproduce. I think the system is flawed.

• I agree with you on the marriage topic. In Turkey, due to conservative point of view, you're not supposed to have sex until you're married and you cannot get married until you graduate college. It simply doesn't work, you can see horny people causing problems everywhere. While some people manage to have sex, it's a really low rate and this is a big debate topic among youngsters in Turkey.

• The world that the old timers talk about is a world before modern contraception, before modern modern, before modern technology. It was a world with significantly higher infant mortality, maternal death, and a much shorter average lifespan. That's the world where their marriage and sexual values comes from as well. In this century and going forward, we can't afford the rapid population growth that is happening as a result of old world breeding in a new world reality.

You think society is fucked because the young will have to support the old? The old will die soon enough because they're old. Better one generation have some financial hardship (which might prompt some meaningful economic reform for once) than to keep going with the status quo. If you think the stress on the economy from old people is bad, wait until you see what happens in a few decades when there are another 3 to 4 billion mouths to feed, and more of them moving into the middle class and demanding a quality of life that is currently quite rare. Gas prices, energy prices, food prices, water prices... it'll only keep going up if the population keeps growing at an exponential rate. Money can be made from nothing, but natural resources are finite.

• Our "greatest resource" is also killing us. Quite frankly we NEED less people or we're going to end up screwing ourselves over

• No we need more young people and less old people being a burden

• Maybe partially, but just killing off all the old wouldn't really be enough

• It would be a good start.

• People do not take their wedding vows seriously these days. We're a society that want a fast fix to problems. If marriages have problems it's straight to..."I want a divorce." Some of it is due to the fact that we don't know enough about one another before we get married. People also tend mistake lust for love.

• social conservatism and social liberalism aren't better.

but yep, the 1950s was perfect. let me guess. you have an abnormal intolerance for change, or you're a white male, and don't give a shit.

• Everything is at an all time low I am just sick of this

• If it just takes a bunch of feminists and homosexuals to bring your country down to it's knees then there is definitely something wrong with your country. Now economy is another thing which can bring any country down to it's knees.

• The human population is growing at an aggressive rate. We actually need people to have less babies. So this is great news

• Not good news for america. The resl problem is that old people are living to long. A person might lose themselves with dementia and go to an old folks home and just sit there for the next 30 years with the rest of the gomers needing looked after. We need more youth and less old folks.

• We just need less people in general. We are at unsustainable population levels now. So the answers seems to be we need every woman in the world supremely educated. If that makes them less likely to reproduce. We need to end child tax credits and policies that encourage poor people to have babies instead of abortions or being responsible and not getting pregnant in the first place

• If the population got down to thirty-thousand or so, that means everybody gets to go to the super bowl...

• can't really say.