Do you think it's Wrong if a Groom/Bride Backs out of the marriage at the Last Moment?

Let's say the moment to say, 'I do.' Has come. You're getting nervous, your palms are sweating, the stares of everyone isn't helping either.. Your long term sweet and caring bf/gf seems like a cop now who's stealing away your freedom.. And you just wanna run away..
Would you?

Most Helpful Guy

• If I really loved her, then no way!!

However, if I'd had some long term doubts, then hopefully I'd have ended it before this point was reached.

If I was standing there waiting at the altar, or wherever, and there was a real fear I was doing the totally the wrong thing, then it's probably better to back out then rather than go through a marriage ceremony, and have to nulify it or get a divorce later.

Whatever, this is not a nice situation!!

What Guys Said 7

• In answer to your header question... I think ditching someone at the altar is the lesser of two evils. It's better than getting married and then filing for divorce, but it's still a cowardly thing to do. By the time you're at the altar, I tend to think you should have made up your mind a long time ago

• Yes, it's wrong cause a marriage means that the two of you are gonna be together forever, and if either one of you back out at the last minute, then you're not being sincere and honest about how you feel for the other.

• Yeah it's not good to turn someone down at the last minute
    but it happens people get cold feet, nervous, you can't get sick
    over marrying someone ,

• no... they can quit anytime they want in my opinion

• nope... its much easier for them to do something now than later

• Of course. They have enough time to decide.

• It's not wrong if your heart isn't in it. No marriage will last if there's unhappiness before even getting married.

What Girls Said 7

• I don't think it's wrong if that is how they truly feel. Maybe they didn't really want to get married, but didn't want the relationship to end. So instead they agreed hoping that the marriage would just not happen and they could continue on with the relationship as is (seems silly, but there are those who think this way). Or maybe they didn't really see the relationship as going any further and were too scared to back out.

I think whenever a relationship isn't working people have a right to get out of it. However, I think the person should really have more respect for their partner to at least let them know before the vows start. It's embarrasing I'm sure, to be up there and have your bride or groom run off. I'm sure it's quite hurtful. So at least have a conversation with them in private.

• Well, it's shitty to wait until the last moment if you've been having doubts for longer than that. And it's going to be really embarrassing and hurtful to your bride- or groom-to-be.

That said, it's better than marrying someone you don't actually want to marry.

• Yes. It's tacky, self-absorbed, and inconsiderate. Not only is it humiliating to publically leave someone but friends and family made financial arrangements to be present that day only so they can watch a bride or groom get their heart smashed. Not cool.

• Unless the bride or groom found out something crazy and completely unsavory, there's no excuse for it.

• Yeah, it's pretty wrong. To waste everyone's time, and your S. O.'s effort and dedication to you just isn't right no matter how you look at it. If you don't want to get married then say something about it at the beginning of the relationship. Don't wait until you get engaged, or even worse on the wedding day right near the "I do". That's just straight selfish.

• I don't understand how it can viewed as selfish..
      I mean, you're just doing what you think is best, right?

• In an open marriage, can you also have various relationships? (Emotional not JUST physical I mean)

• No, that's when trouble starts. It should be purely physical in an open relationship if you're bringing someone else in unless you're a polygamist.

• It's pretty sucky especially if they had doubts about the whole thing for a while and didn't tell the person they're marrying. Getting married isn't something most people do on a whim. A lot of time is given to preparing for that big day so yeah I say it's wrong. I don't think I could ever do something like that.

• No, I think it's entertaining for the guests.

• So people will laugh if the bride left the groom at the last moment?

• Yup. Well, I would laugh my ass off.

• No, cuz it could just be a panic attack if the doubts only happened at that moment. If I wasn't sure, I had no business being up there to begin with!