Gay marrige should not have been allowed?

I'm not homophobic or lesbiphobic but for crying out loud why would someone gay want to be married?
The bible says it doesn't approve of gay sex yet gay people want to marry anyway? Am I just stubborn? I wouldn't want to be married using a religion that clearly doesn't approve of my happiness, and if God does exist and does disapprove I wouldn't want to explain myself.

Most Helpful Guy

• The assumption that the Bible is anti-gay is just plain wrong. Paul was anti-gay but then he was anti-everything to do with this world and our flesh. I think he was the anti-Christ!
    In the Old Testament there is one verse that can be twisted into what might be creatively construed as anti-gay sex. It shows up twice, but the wording is identical. This is nothing compared to the sheer number of verses vehemently and unambiguously condemning heterosexual adultery, which in this day and age is almost a national pastime in many countries. One verse in Proverbs even suggests that young men are better off visiting prostitutes than succumbing to the wiles of older, married women. The cost of the first is a loaf of bread compared to the second, his life if caught by an angry husband.

What Girls Said 9

• Well you can be married if you have a different religion can't you. It is basically the same thing. Gay people can still have that religion, and just follow it, and want it. Religion basically has nothing to do with marriage, it has to do with the ceremony. If you go to a court you can get a marriage license and are officially married. The ceremony is the religious part. The religion can still be followed but it doesn't have to be strictly followed. It is because people were primarily that religion that it was illegal. But a person of any religion can get married, it is the legal part. But the ceremony is what is religious.

• The bible was also written several thousand years ago. There's a ton of stuff in the bible that is no longer relevant in todays society that devoted Christians do. And most of the things from thousands of years ago we've moved away from over the centuries. Why not discrimination against sexual be one that we move away from too? The bible is exclusive to Christianity, there's a ton of people who don't practice Christianity so why oppress people with beliefs that differ from your own? That and marriage is done by the state now, not the church and we're moving to a secular society so it makes sense that the gays are allowed to marry, because marriage isn't only a religious thing anymore. Plus, it does't have an effect on anyones life but the couple getting married.

• Your birth should not have been allowed.

• because it is there life not yours. And what about Kim Kardashian she married kris Humphries for 72 days and for money

• I respect all opinions. I'm not "for" or "against" gay marriage... but I think everyone should be left alone and free to do what they want.

Try not to think about it too much, especially if it doesn't affect you. Just let people be..

• You do know that when you get married your married by the state and not by the church

• It doesn't ever actually say that gay sex isn't "approved" in the bible, what bible have you been reading? You are stubborn and must have some bias if you don't believe gay marriage should be allowed. Marriage, between any two people, straight or otherwise, nowaday has nothing to do with the actual religion, it's more of a formal civil union that non-religious people have.

• How would you feel if your significant other got seriously hurt and was in the hospital?

What do they say? "Are you related?" i believe

You could say you're married, but- oh, WAIT! you're not.
    There's a lot more to marriage than christians like to believe.

What Guys Said 18

• Gay people want to be "married" because the liberal left wants to normalize such conduct and having marriages make it sound more mainstream. If the states had offered homosexual couples "civil unions" that were the equivalent of marriage, you can bet that the liberal crown would not have been happy.

• The courts are trying to rewrite the bible. Lucifer has the power and wins when things once never challenged are challenged. I agree with you.

• The more you give them the more they ask. Now they even want to adopt children and force LGBT classes even in kindergarden. It is another purpose of the left/marxist lunatics to destroy traditional family. One of the roots of western civilisation. These perverts never dared to force these anomalies in countries Russia, China or middle eastern countries.

• In my perspective, it should only be allowed (and heavily promoted) in countries that are either not de-jure part of our empire, or are not our allies.

After all long-term effects of it are catastrophic, so that should suit our geopolitical interests.

• Our empire? What are you a reincarnation of Julius ceasar

• @Tommy-Gunz
      I do not exactly acknowledge "independence" of some "countries" that are de-jure our rightful lands. Therefore, over the time I expect them to return where they belong.
      Obviously, I don't want them to be infected with liberalism by that time. Homosexual marriage included.

• Because the Bible matters only to Christians, and practicing your religion shouldn't involve oppressing others.

• You do know that they aren't forcing priests or ministers to consolidate the union right? They are married by a legal judge no religion involved.

• Well marriage has become more of a social thing than religious. There is also the fact that there are a lot of legal things that are allowed to a married person but not a life partner (What they had called homosexual couples)

As it was a life partner couldn't go into a hospital room when it was for family only (where a husband or wife would be considered family and allowed) that is just one example and I believe there are many more out there so it was also a huge thing legally.

• The Bible doesn't approve of gay men having sex, but it's ok with lesbian sex.

And gay marriage has much less to do with religion, that the legal rights attached to a married status.

• you know if there was a god that hated gays, there wouldn't be any

• It's about having equel rights. Why should someone who is gay not be able to do everything a straight person can do.

• Marriage is a legal contract with legal benefits. That's what they want. Not some union in the eyes of god

• Marriage was around long before Christianity and the bible...

• idgaf unless a gay person ever is attracted to me. then ima have to deal with it the hard way >:)

• Well since marriage predates religion and religion is a fairy tale I'm sure gay people are safe from hell's damnation.

• Dude, the bible forbids homosexuality and does not recognize same sex marriage.

Marriage is a legal contract. So under British law, same sex marriages are recognized but not Christian or biblical law.

So they're married according to the British government but not the church of England.
    So if you're Christian you can say they're not married in your gods eyes.

• I believe in civil union. Gays and lesbians have the same rights of men and women who are married. They gay or lesbian couple is united like on a court marriage. They are not married nor do they push to have one in a church. They would be like the couple who dates forever but doesn't get married. It doesn't promote or demote child rearing. It must be like a civil marriage. Religious groups can not be forced to marry them. The question of having sex is still up for debate. I mean they could do what an engaged couple would do, kiss, hold hands etc.

• My only objection to gay marriage is the fact that they want the financial benefits that exist primarily to help families out (aka a married couple with children). Children do best in a two parent (mother and father) home, and society benefits. That's why marriage has those benefits, not just to reward people for being in love.

• you know my main and only issue with gay marriage is gay people want to take something christianity INVENTED and change it for themselves when the people who came up with have it written in their religion to not only have marriage as man and woman but KILL gays

i mean it's just a name why can't they just call it something else and have all the same benefits?

• Your delusional if you think christians invented marriage

• Because the legal system adopted the word to define the idea. however the word is derived from the Latin matrimonium so the romans invented it and they were pagans for far longer than they were christians

• so what if it was derived from it?

just because someone derives a word from another language doesn't mean it isn't their word

it's cool you looked that up though