I've seen these issues come up a few times on this site so how do the laws around marriage and divorce affect your interest in marriage?
- The laws regarding those issues make me want to get married much more.Vote A
- The laws regarding those issues make me ok with the idea of being married.Vote B
- They don't influence me at all.Vote C
- The laws make me less motivated to marry.Vote D
- Those laws make marriage scary.Vote E
- I'm never getting married partly because of those laws. They are a rip off.Vote F
- Other/See resultsVote G
Most Helpful Girl
It's a complicated answer. I want to say they don't influence me but nowadays when something goes wrong in a marriage some people start contemplating divorce. Each case is different but I feel that in this century people just don't want to put the work. Divorce has shifted the focus of marriage being a union where both parties have obligations to each other to being a loose contract that can be terminated if either party is unsatisfied. Therefore, society now sees this as acceptable. Many forget many of the problems are due to lack of communication. It's not pleasant but issues don't get solved by wiping them with silk.
As a woman, this makes me uncomfortable. If I fail in something, and is not communicated, how soon before till I see the divorce papers? If I work my hardest how soon till that's taken for granted? I've told you. I'm not in a hurry to get married and this is one of the reasons why.
As far as property distribution. I feel it's fair that both parties get 50/50 of what was acquired during the marriage. It was a time of sharing, the results should be the same. I find it distasteful when either party try to claim more than that. Arrogance at its finest. Leave everything alone that either party owned.3
- Show AllShow Less