Do the current laws on marriage, divorce and child custody influence how likely you are to get married?

I've seen these issues come up a few times on this site so how do the laws around marriage and divorce affect your interest in marriage?

• The laws regarding those issues make me want to get married much more.
  • The laws regarding those issues make me ok with the idea of being married.
  • They don't influence me at all.
  • The laws make me less motivated to marry.
  • Those laws make marriage scary.
  • I'm never getting married partly because of those laws. They are a rip off.
  • Other/See results

Most Helpful Girl

• It's a complicated answer. I want to say they don't influence me but nowadays when something goes wrong in a marriage some people start contemplating divorce. Each case is different but I feel that in this century people just don't want to put the work. Divorce has shifted the focus of marriage being a union where both parties have obligations to each other to being a loose contract that can be terminated if either party is unsatisfied. Therefore, society now sees this as acceptable. Many forget many of the problems are due to lack of communication. It's not pleasant but issues don't get solved by wiping them with silk.

As a woman, this makes me uncomfortable. If I fail in something, and is not communicated, how soon before till I see the divorce papers? If I work my hardest how soon till that's taken for granted? I've told you. I'm not in a hurry to get married and this is one of the reasons why.

As far as property distribution. I feel it's fair that both parties get 50/50 of what was acquired during the marriage. It was a time of sharing, the results should be the same. I find it distasteful when either party try to claim more than that. Arrogance at its finest. Leave everything alone that either party owned.

• Not to mention what the children have to deal with having a new step parent. Plus, if they have shared custody, spending each week at a different parent's homes. I can't remember the exact statistic but it was somewhere around a 1/3 of children who have divorced parents are more likely to repeat the pattern. Some argue that it's better than seeing parents fight. I say, it's a prime example to show how to get rid of something that once was beautiful and no longer has use.

• :)
      Was this before or after I started talking to you?

• After, I think?
      We met when you posted your photo question :)

What Girls Said 5

• Most if not everything one does in life is a risk and involves risk. As legally taxing as a wedding/marriage can be, one assumes the risk because of the potential gains. If your only reason for not getting married is because someday you "might" get divorced, you may be missing out on a life of happiness, but you so too could be missing out on an ultimate life of despair with this person. There are no guarantees on this or anything else. Only guarantees are death and taxes.

• I voted C, that sort of thing does not influence my opinion of marriage. I would love to get married someday as long as it's to the right person. So, I don't mind waiting until I'm older to get married, I'm not in a hurry.

• Look at all those bitter men who voted F. Haha!

• Why would that make them bitter?

• It's not about hating women but the law and marriage.

Also, you don't have to do anything. I'm just trying to find out why you have such a negative opinion on guys who voted f.

• As a person who wants to get married, I don't run with dudes who aren't into that.

• They do not influence me.

• They don't influence me at all.
    I'm still gonna get married. If anything I actually think it's one sided depending on how you look at it.

A wedding is the brides day. That's one female check. Then she gets half of his money. Second check. And unless she's really messed up in the head, she also gets custody of the kids. Somehow the justice system has failed in equality because there are situations when the roles are reversed.
    Me, I'm gonna married because I sincerely love my boyfriend. I'm not in it for the money. And if he ends up being the better parents and my kids prefer him over me, so be it.

• What do you think would make you resort to divorce?

• If I stopped loving him. Or if he ever laid a hand on me or my kids.

What Guys Said 7

• i voted D. i think the laws, especially the child custody ones, really don't favour men much, which makes me skeptical about getting married... but i haven't closed the door on marriage entirely

• It plays a factor. I don't believe in marriage at all

• I choose F. The laws are insane.

• I was married once. I put a 'head clause' in the contract. She had to perform orally on me at my request or leave the marriage with nothing. She signed the contract, turned me down ONE time, and now I have our condo and she sells shoes.

• There is a great deal of financial and legal risk with marriage. Having been through a divorce, it won't ever happen again. The divorcing part is what makes it scary, and only one party has to want the divorce for you to get fucked over.

• they don't influence me in anyway

• That's why I'm getting a pre-nup when I get married.