What do you americans think of the recent gay marriage law passed making it llegal?

i see it as a win. im bi and proud and im so happy to be in this country right now. we beat biggotry and ignorance on the 26th of June and now we have equal rights in marriage. sure we still get evicted from homes and fired from jobs but thats the next fight. right now we can marry and be happy. whats your opinion?

Most Helpful Girl

• I say it's about time. Marriage and equal rights for all.

To quote my husband @gray_sailor

"Marriage means:
    - paying taxes at a lower effective rate.
    - not being compelled to testify against your spouse in a criminal trial
    - speaking for each others health and burial wishes
    - inheriting each others property without the requirement of probate court and with no inheritance tax
    - the right to be considered jointly when applying for credit
    - the ability to the surviving next of kin when the blood parent dies - keeps remaining family together
    - the right to social security survivors benefits
    - the right to seek health insurance through your spouse
    - the right to visit your spouse in hospital or in prison (even conjugal visits will apply)

for military members:
    -the right to receive additional pay for housing your dependants -
    the right to have dependants relocate with the service member to overseas bases
    - the right to seek base housing
    - the right to make use of base facilities including shopping, recreation & Healthcare

Gays & lesbians were never looking for rings or cakes... they simply wanted access to the primary way that adults provide structure to their lives. Now, in the US they finally have it, their is no trend, just normal life."

• exactly and to stop people from saying things like "oh well your not legally married so your not a legitimate couple." and now all gays can be!!!

What Girls Said 4

• I think it's amazing, even though I know that there always will be discrimination because not everyone likes the idea. I hope more good things happen to the lgbt community

• Its great everyone deserves to be happy and live life the way they want.. 😁 im happy for them !

• I agree with you that pedophiles are born with the sexual preference just like the gays and everyone else and they have and they should be able to pursue the life that will make them the happiest.

• No he was not comparing the two, he was being sarcastic and using pedos as an analogy

• Lol ok I was confused by both their comments thanks @Mickdodge

• I think its great that Gay people can finally get married to the person they love and it is a step in the right direction

• It's a good thing for gays who want to get married but it's a bad thing for the country overall. First it should have never been decided by the Supreme Court, every major descion should be decided by a democratic process of the citizens vote.

Secondly, I graduated college this past May with a degree in Economics. Many small business will suffer do to raised taxes and and major companies will use it as an excuse to layoff workers and not hire as many new workers. There are both pros and cons but to straight and gays who do not want to marry, they suffer penalties.

I could care less if someone is gay, they can do whatever they want to do. However, to your point about being evicted and fired.. women and African Americans are still discriminated against so unfortunately, gays will still be treated bad.

• "every major descion should be decided by a democratic process of the citizens vote."

we live in a representative democracy. so no decision is every decided on a federal level by "direct" democracy where people actually vote. we choose representatives (that's our democratic right) who in turn (in theory) perform as our representative on political issues

Actually, only matters of public interest should be decided like that. Like Political Economy, International Affairs and such. Who you decide to marry with is a personal matter that concerns no one else.

And if some people think that it's their concern who others will marry - then maybe these people should seek the help of a psychiatrist. for their own mental health.

• Because how dare people have an opinion right?

What Guys Said 8

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSiehK2asbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDm0zsw9vjY

That's pretty much how I think about it. Our LGBT brothers and sisters can finally be put on the path towards equality under the law. Look at the happiness in their eyes knowing they can finally get married to their partners. How can anybody reject the kind of happiness and love people can share with each other? It's unfathomable to me.

• I don't agree with it and am disappointed in the court.

• why? it doesn't affect you in any way.

• lol now your making yourself look stupid. name one example where that has happened in a country with gay marriage legalized.

• Sorry are you talking to me or the girl?

• I look forward to seeing a gay couple force an Islamic mosque to marry them. Oh wait its only the Christians they force because they know the Muslims will cut there heads off.

• You still can't force people to accept what they don't want to. Could you not be happy before? I'm confused by this notion, wasn't really against this but the attitudes I see are more like little children given the "man" the finger.

• Meh, doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.
    I don't believe in god or floaty sky people so i dont really have a moral objection

• This country is fucked. There isn't enough room on this page to say everything that is wrong, and gay marriage is at the top of the priority list? Wtf is wrong with people?

• lol nothing wrong with being gay. making it so people can't ban gay marriage doesn't make anything "wrong" being gay is completely natural

• Sorry for saying gay is wrong, its not. It's not wrong like any other fetish is to the one that practices it. Being gay is a fetish and a lifestyle choice and to say it's natural is wrong. The word natural come from the word nature, and nature didn't intend on two beings that can't procreate be together. since nature is all about survival and gays can't procreate, then gays will die out, leaving what is natural left to keep the species flourishing. That is what you call natural. Suppose that every human decided to be gay at this moment, and yes, it is a decision. The human animal would be gone in 80 some years. Now did nature intend create humans just to let them die out just because of a fetish or a choice?

• There actually still debating whether the law was passed. Because the decision the Supreme Court made was out of their power congress is the one not the Supreme Court.

• they also screwed igor out of presidency and made it so there's no limit to the amount of money a person can donate to politicians running for presidents. they won't overturn this.

• what do you mean? please elaborate. how does it separate america in any way any more than it already was.

• Many people were already mad about the government. Now millions of people are mad with the banning of the confederate flag, how Obama embraced it in which he claims he is a Christian. If people opened there eyes they would see the corruption in the government and that America didn't take a step
      Forward it took a huge jump back. And people can't see this because there to busy celebrating. America already has enough to worry about. I could give you some more reasons but just do so research.