Is being a housewife a negative or positive, in your eyes? Do you believe in this concept?

Do you think it is a out dated concept? Would you be a housewife? Or would you want your wife to be a housewife?

Most Helpful Girl

• I am a house wife and it is a lot of work. It is a 24\7 job I really don't think guys understand how hard and frustrating it can be at times. I have a 7 year old and a 3 & a half. As soon as the little one goes to kindergarten I want to get a part time. I see it as I was there the most important years until they started school. And now I can do for us outside of the house. Even though I now my job as a mother will never end and I am okay with that.

• Kudos to you!

• Creole_Flavor
      I hope my story ends just like your aunts story too 😊😊😊😊😊😊

• Thank You for picking me as the MHO! 😉

What Guys Said 21

• There are different things to consider. The law really screws over the bread winner in a divorce, so in order to protect himself financially a guy really needs his wife to make her own money. So legally it is a negative. If however it wasn't for some of these screwed up laws then it would depend on if the guy could afford to have a house wife.

If I have the money to support our family, then her bringing in more money really wouldn't do me any good. However her doing all the household chores would help me a lot. So that would be very desirable. Most of the time however it takes two incomes to survive, so very few men can afford a housewife.

A stay at home mother makes a lot more sense to men over a housewife. Daycare can be expensive, and many people don't want their child being raised by strangers. Therefore a lot more guys would prefer a stay at home mom than housewife, or working woman. It really depends on what works for each family. What might work great for one family might be terrible for another family.

• I am a housewife \ stay at home mom. Thank Goodness my husband works really hard

• I think the problem is that in order to get rid of gender roles, a lot of women have been shamed into thinking housewives or stay at home moms aren't respected, and don't contribute to society. Its a shame because instead of freeing women from gender roles, its just forcing them into a different role. I know women that have cried because they wanted to stay at home with their new baby, but felt that it would mean they would have failed as women to not have a "real job". Taking care of your family is a real job, and is very important job. I don't think housewives or stay at home parents get the credit they deserve.

• Your right about it. I don't feel bad about anything as long as my husband and kids are happy then I am happy. But soon I will be going to work when my second daughter turns 5 years old. That's in 1 year and a half so I am enjoying my time at home for now.. Lol!!

• I don't think it's negative or positive. I don't think I'd want to be with someone who aspired to be a housewife though.

• If there's kids, it's positive, but if they have no kids, then it's somewhat negative, cause there's not much work to do and we can split it between both.
    A stay at home MOM I see it as positive. People don't know how much work those women do. It's not easy and you have to do it every day (unless the husband helps, which is what he should be doing). I think stay at home moms should be taken more seriously, it's not a lazy thing to do, just like what many people believe.

• Thank you so much!!!

• Sorry, posted on the wrong comment.

• Awww!! Thank you guys so much 😍😍

• I believe every woman should have her own mind set
    on whether she wants to be a housewife or not and
    no one should look down cause a woman wants to
    be a housewife i believe every woman is entitled to
    their own opinion my late mother was a housewife
    but my dad put her through lot of bull he was a
    asshole and still one but i think couples need to
    discuss on whether this is something they want,

• it's an integral role in families that can afford to have a one working parent... whether it's the man or the woman the role can be a huge help in raising a family.

so it's definitely not negative in my opinion

• To each their own.

• It depends. There are the "housewives" you pretty much do nothing and just enjoy the easy life and then there are the ones who want to be a housewife and do everything for the family, the kids, the household, etc.

The later is obviously the positive one. Though for my liking I prefer my fiancee to be part-time working so she gets to be under people, but also has more time for the home and future kids when the time comes.

• I'm not gonna have any kids anyway, so there is no point in her being a housewife.

In my case, I'd rather have someone who helped pay the bills.

• The only time I would ever look down on a housewife is if her husband makes so much money that they have maids to do all the work around the house, it diminishes the title of housewife.

• Positive, great respect for women who put their families before their careers, don't see it as much anymore.

• It's neither. Do what you want to do. If you want to be a housewife, be one. If not, don't. Someone has to take care of the kids, so the concept will never be outdated.

• Positive to me

• If you wanna be one, great. If not, great

• I would like a woman to be a housewife. The idea of woman cooks clean and otherwise is good for a future family. However, marriage is a balance. So I will repay her in the bedroom catering to whatever fetish she has.

• what if your woman would like you to be a houseman? :)

• Not really as I was raised old school with a wrench and screwdriver in hand. I think I'am a dying race of man.

• Once upon a time I found myself working with two colleagues. One of them was very, very bright. He worked out that all three of our mothers had been housewives. His next comment then took me aback:

"... That's why we are so well grounded! ..."

He was right, of course.

So, while I wouldn't dictate to my hypothetical other half what she should do in this regard, I'd certainly support her if she chose to stay at home; especially if we had sprogs.

• It's not negative or positive, I think every woman should be able to take care of there self cause anything could happen in a relationship so when something goes wrong you're doomed but at the same time should have someone take care of them

• i would be a houseman. i think it´s a respective role you can hava in a relationship.

• I say it's positive, as long as she's not being lazy.

• any job providing positive vaue to society, people can do imho. i don't care.

• I think its quite noble, however the husband will have to earn a fortune to take care of his queen.

• Woman should remain at home all the time is an outdated concept. Both partners should take part in domestic activities and move around ouside as well for job or for entertainment.

What Girls Said 18

• I don't see it as a negative. If it works for you and your partner, then that's all that matters.

For me personally, I'd like to be a housewife and stay-at-home mom while my future kids are young, but then go to work again after they're older and I have more time on my hands. With the way the economy is, providing another set of income would be helpful, maybe even essential.

• i've been a house wife for a little over a year. just recently started going back to work.
    it has its perks, but is not for everybody. hubby loved me staying home and taking care of everything while he goes to work and worries about all the bills and stuff.
    if its something you want to do, you should do it. lots of women are housewives. just depends on the person, some people dont like it.

• I think about it pretty neutrally since it has negative and positive sides that about balance one another, however I couldn't ever imagine being a housewife since that would mean that I couldn't work, earn my own money and therefore would have to be completely financially dependent on my husband and that is just a thought I would absolutely detest. However I don't think it's outdated since it still works perfectly for a lot of families with rather traditional roles and I even know some girls my age who still dream of being a housewife one day ahah.

• I think women should have a right to choose and shouldn't be pressured by their society or religion to stay at home. Besides that, I think it's up to the woman to choose her occupation in life.

Personally, I want a professional career. That's my decision though.

But I will say, that every able person should be able to provide money and food for their family and themselves in some way.

• Positive if you have a job too... If you're just a housewife then it's negative.
    Shows that person has no ambition and/or is looking for any excuse not to financially contribute to their household.

I understand the desire to be there for your child, but you'll be helping them more if you actually provided a strong role model...

• I am "basically" a housewife. I think they're very looked down upon in society and I think it's ridiculous because it's one of the hardest jobs and biggest sacrifices.

• Your not kidding I am a house wife too. It is a 24\7 job that never ever ends. I have a 7 year old and a 3 & a half year old. As soon as my daughter turns 5 & goes to kindergarten. I will be getting a part time job. But with that being said it has to be around their schedule. That I still have time to drop them up for school and pick them up.

• I think the parent who works outside the home is looked down on the most. They're the main reason having one parent at home is even possible, but no one mentions them! And they have to sacrifice so much time with their kids to work, but that's not mentioned either.

• I don't think there's anything wrong with it but I could never do it. I couldn't depend on a man to support me financially solely and I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable depending on someone else to support me and my children solely if I had children.

• I wouldn't want to be one.

• Being a housewife can be a positive or negative but that differs from family to family
    I don't think that I would want to be one but when I have kids I'd love to be a stay at home mom while they're young even if that means sacrificing a job or career path that I've chosen... that's what my mum did for me

• I am a house wife and stay at home mom. I don't mind given up my job or anything else to stay at home and raise my kids. But soon I will be going back to work at least as a part time. In 1 year and a half and no more kids for me. I have two wonderful girls that I love with all my heart.

• I think its a personal choice a s long as its the right thin to do for everyone in the family then its fine. I'm staying home if I don't have kids because what is there to take care of. I work from home now and I'm single but I think its easier to stay at home now because of work at home jobs available even though that's not a substitute for childcare it depends on the type of work you do it can be really convenient though.

• It's neither a bad or a thing, nobody should be shamed for desiring a traditional form of marriage. However, it's a bit more difficult to raise a family in this day and age on one persons income alone.

• I think it's up to the woman but honestly I think it's a negative. A lot of people will assume you're doing it because you have to (you know your place) or you can't do anything else. I respect stay at home women (and men) but I think it sometimes slows the process of women being acknowledged as equals.

• I don't care what other people do. Yes, I think it's outdated; you haven't mentioned any DADS! I wouldn't want to be one. I would want to work and split everything with daddy. I would want the kids to have equal time with him; that would be really important to me, and so would having a second income.

• I wouldn't have a problem with it if we had kids.

Otherwise, I would want to have the opportunity to work on my own and make my own money.

• Positive. Nobody does the homemaker/child raising job better than women.

• I respect women who are housewives. It's the hardest job, wouldn't be able to do it.

• it really depends on the man, the country, the opportunites, the house, the climate, etc

• I think that being a housewife is a really amazing and impressive thing to do, however whether it is positive or negative depends on whether you want to be a housewife or not. If you're comfortable with that as your role, then go and do it if it's what you want. If you feel that you're going to have to be a house wife or feel like you're being pushed into doing the role that is when it can become a negative concept. Do what you want and feel comfortable with.